iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HELP on ford diesel tractor

Started by dovetails, April 08, 2011, 11:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dovetails

Bill, thats one thing I have not checked yet.....  the injector pump is susposed to line up with marks in the back of timing cover houseing,I need to check that. Rainning right now,but will look when it quits. That could be enough to throw off when the injectors get fuel. Thanks!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Isawlogs..  yes, checked the keys, all in perfect shape.After checking the timing marks,next thing I did was pull gears to check the keystock.Was kind of hoping it was that simple....
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

Coon

I had an old 5.7L GM diesel that did the same thing to me.... We had the engine apart more than once trying to figure out what was wrong, everything just seemed fine..... ended up that the camshaft lobes had worn just slightly enough that the valves weren't opening up and closing off at the right times.  We were at the point of no return when the wear marks were discovered.  After simple change out everything ran perfect again.  

Hope this may be of help.....
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

dovetails

Quote from: Coon on April 21, 2011, 05:11:16 PM
I had an old 5.7L GM diesel that did the same thing to me.... We had the engine apart more than once trying to figure out what was wrong, everything just seemed fine..... ended up that the camshaft lobes had worn just slightly enough that the valves weren't opening up and closing off at the right times.  We were at the point of no return when the wear marks were discovered.  After simple change out everything ran perfect again.  

Hope this may be of help.....

Well, I just checked the timing on the injector pump, and it is dead on 0 where it belongs,so all timing marks are correct.  With the cam wearing down, I would think it would have been showing signs of it for a while before quiting though, like low power,hard starting ect.Also the valves look to be opening all the way,only the one with a lot of carbon around it looked to be maybe not closed all the way.
This one has been starting fine for years up untill the day it just wouldn't start at all.Also it ran smooth, could idle it down till you could almost count the cylinders firing, and just sit there at idle till I jumped back on to move a log or something.... I figure thats where the carbon came from, to much low idle, not enough hard running. Still waiting on the head gasket to try it again.
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

pineywoods

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

dovetails

Quote from: pineywoods on April 21, 2011, 07:21:18 PM
Bad batch of fuel ???

same fuel it was running on,also drained the tank and put in fresh when I changed the filter.

snowstorm

this thing was running fine one day then the next it wouldnt start????????? dose it have a cable type fuel shut off? or a wire electic shut off? did you try pulling an injector hoch it back so you can watch the spray pattern? if its a wet sleeve engine dont spin the eugine over with the head off unless you bolt the liners down they can come up. this 3cyl or 4? spray pattern should be fine mist no squirts no drips. if no fuel at all you got pump problems. check all the injectors and all the lines. your sure the transfer pump is ok?

routestep

Are there any fuses in your tractor that might have burnt out? Its the only step I can think over that hasn't been discussed. Don't know why a fuse would be a problem if your getting fuel.

dovetails

Quote from: routestep on April 28, 2011, 10:00:32 PM
Are there any fuses in your tractor that might have burnt out? Its the only step I can think over that hasn't been discussed. Don't know why a fuse would be a problem if your getting fuel.

No fuse, the only electric used at all on whole tractor is the starter.

I have gotten it running again finnally.  As I said before, the ONLY thing I have seen that even looked like it could cause a problem, was some carbon build up,with a little around 2 of the valves. The ONLY thing I have really done is take the head off,and clean it up, then put back on,and it will start now,but didn't want to rev up very good.
This is with it just put back together enough to try starting it, as in timing cover is off, no radiator ect. so only ran for like a min or two at a time,so did not get too hot.
If this darn weather will coperate for a day or two, I'll get back on it,and see what happens with radiator back on and water in it so I can run it for a while. I'm thinking it might be something with the injector pump,so will be playing with that next.  "Buddy" finaly found the manual, should have it here today or tommorow, that might help...

isawlogs

Glad to hear you have it running again and that we was all wrong  ;)  It may of needed only to dry up to get her going again , in any case happy to hear that it turns . :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dana

Did you check the shut down cable and linkage going to the injector pump?
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

H60 Hawk Pilot

I've been down this road.. is their a Rosta Masa type injector pump on this ford engine ?

I have a ford engine in my big forklift with a Rosta-master pump. It's a simple fix (so I been told) when these RS pumps acts up. They bind up inside and can be caused by getting water in the pump. You pull the top cover off and run the pump through by turning the engine over. You advance the pump like your trying to go full throttle.

I can call the diesel mechanic that told me about this RS pump problem. He fixed my big generator with a Herk. eng. and RS pump (shut off bound up) on it.   
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

dovetails

All back together and it's running as good as before now!
The only thing I can figure is I let it idle to much, and the carbon built
up on top of the pistons,blocked a couple of the valves to lower compression
and might have blocked one of the injector tips,limiting the fuel. All I really did
was take it apart, clean it and put it back together again. I will run it harder from now on,to keep it clean inside!  Like running a car down the hwy at 70 to blow it out now and then,when you only take short trips around town with it usually. Thanks for all the ideas though guys,it gave me things to look for and check out

isawlogs

I am glad that it was just a pain in the butt to take apart and put back together with only gaskets and seals to buy, a rebuild can get xpensive quick...  :o 

8)  Keep da rubber to da ground  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Gary_C

If you have trouble with this engine again, check the starter. If an older diesel does not turn over fast enough, it will not fire. It needs to build up enough compression and heat in the cylinder to burn the fuel. That's why diesels are called compression ignition engines.

It could also be that you are about due for a valve job, but on a diesel that usually calls for a complete overhaul as low compression has multiple causes.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!