iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood bearing speed.

Started by Joe Hillmann, August 16, 2016, 06:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Hillmann

I have an old tractor I am working on and want to use wood bearings because they are easier and cheaper than using bearing blocks.  I've used wooden bearings a lot before but at slower speeds.  The shaft is 3/4 and will be spinning at  about 3600rpm. 

Has anyone here used wood bearings on a shaft that spins that fast?  If so do they hold up well or do they or the shaft wear quickly?

Don_Papenburg

I think you need to think babbet  for that speed .  Most wood bearings were used for low speed rotation , made of hard maple , and had ample grease supplied to them. 
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Kbeitz

I think you will get fire....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

For continuous 3600, I would want rollers.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

21incher

I think you would need some kind of liner. As Kbeitz says wood does not handle heat from friction very good.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

scsmith42

If you do choose to use wood, get some Lignum Vitae.  Submarine main shaft bearings are made from it; it's about as hard a wood as you can get.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

r.man

I am an experimenter at heart so I think everyone should be. I would make the bearings out of the best available wood and carry lots of water when I tested the higher speeds. Add to human knowledge and report back.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

r.man

Forgot to ask, what is the tractor?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Joe Hillmann

It is mostly an old david bradley two wheel tractor.   The shaft is for a weed wacker fence mower for it.  I think I am just going to build the wood bearings and see how it works. 

DelawhereJoe

Do you know what type of wood you will be using yet, or are you just gonna use whatever you have on hand ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on August 17, 2016, 11:31:01 PM
Do you know what type of wood you will be using yet, or are you just gonna use whatever you have on hand ?

The only hard woods I have that are dry and thick enough are red oak and apple.  I usually use red oak boiled in oil with 3/4 inch pipe for the the shaft but I also never built anything that runs over 1800 rpm.

kensfarm

I use wood bearings for an old cultipacker.. I grease often.. they get too hot to touch.  I made them out of oak.. I was looking at making up a continuous oiler.  I have to make new set because one broke on me by end of planting season. 

If it was in a oil bath might work.  There are some old tractor junkyards you can get parts for cheaper.  Any pictures?  Hope you can work it out. 

coalsmok

I am just wonder if you have tried this yet and how it worked out?

Joe Hillmann

Nope, I haven't built it yet.  I need to get the tractor itself running first.

Thank You Sponsors!