iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 039 Muffler Mod

Started by brettl, February 24, 2014, 09:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brettl

Just picked up a 039 that had a mm started. The port opening had been opened up enough to allow a cutting tool in. The entire baffle was cut up and rattling around WHILE THE MUFFLER IS MOUNTED TO THE ENGINE >:(. I removed all the loose pieces and now have a totally empty can. Did the guy damage the powerband by gutting it? If it's scrap I want to have one on the way while I'm looking in the motor for pieces that might have fell in in being moved around. No drilling has been done to the outside of the muffler.

Thanks for your input :)

H 2 H

This is what it looks like when you split it

This is the baffle

This is what it looks like after you take the baffle out

I've done several (taking the baffle out) they run alot better this way
Brian

Old BROWN eyes strikes again !

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

".... guess you need to do more than read specs, and look at pictures !"

brettl

Thank you Brian! That's exactly what I wanted to know. Glad to know my muffler is still usable. :)

Now I've just got to disassemble the entire saw. >:( I don't know how long the muffler was on the saw with those little pieces rattling around inside the muffler so I have to put my mind at ease. ??? Better to spend some hours in vain than destroy a what looks to be a low hour saw. Thanks again Brian.

AdkStihl

Why take the entire saw apart? Makes no sense at all.
If the saw ate part of the muffler.......it would be very apparent by removing the muffler and taking a peek through the exhaust port at the piston.

If you plan on disassembling anyway......may I suggest you purchase a rear bar stud to replace the one you will be removing  ;)
J.Miller Photography

brettl

I got the saw in non running condition. For all I know, this saw may have never been run with that muffler of loose pieces bolted on so lack of visible damage may not be an accurate indicator. The man I got it from said he'd had it around for a least 3 years as-is and I don't know how much it's been moved and jostled around. The p&c look like new so I don't want to be the first guy to start it if there's a piece inside there that I don't know about. A little time spent, even if wasted, certainly outweighs potential damage. And yes, unfortunately it won't be just a little time with the clamshell design.

Thank You Sponsors!