iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

036 PRO vs. Late Model Variants

Started by brettl, April 09, 2014, 12:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brettl

As you can see in my signature, I like Stihl. As much as I enjoy my CAD condition, it's just not practical. I've been thinking that I've overlooked a long-time favorite of mine, the 036 PRO. And considering it could replace all but the 200T, 440, and 441, I'm thinking of selling all but these and my 024 and buying 034 Super and 036 PRO's as my bread and butter saws.

Of course, I have to look at their late model variants. On paper, they've gained weight and lost power. So from those of you who have used more than one of these, what have you found the pros and cons to be between old and new?

wkeev

Have you tried the MS 361 . The anti vibe is terrific . I would much rather use than a 036 ,360 or 034 . I just finished one from parts that I have had and now I'm thinking of getting rid of my  MS362 .

brettl

No, I don't know anyone who has one and don't have the money for one right now. After some selling I'll look around for one I can try out. We actually have a series of pawn shops here that offer 30 day money back with no questions. What's more, they live up to it. Very nice change from some pawn shops and very surprising since "as-is" is the nature of the business selling used goods.

teacherman

I too am a big fan of the 034-036 series, with a half dozen of them. I am in process of divsting about half of my hoard, and I'm keeping 2 034 Supers, 1 361, and one specimen of an 041 electronic for that size. The 362 is going. It is really an interesting saw. Light, reasonably powerful, not too noisy, very easy on the vibes. I have a friend who services tree pros' saws locally, and he says they like that saw. Of the three, I like the 034 Super the best, though the 361 I bought new ten years ago does ver well. 

One thing to point out is that the 034-6 can take a .325 pitch chain, which I use with an 8 pin rim. 18" bar seems right to me.

Al_Smith

FWIW the 034 super is essentially the same as an 036.Same bore and stroke ..

Thank You Sponsors!