iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

plastic sheet cover on roof

Started by mojo88, May 05, 2024, 05:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mojo88

yesterday I tried to cover the roof where the leaks were.
some people say its going to make the leaks worse.
but its already rotten bad inside the attic and I will try anything.
it was not easy putting it up there. it doesnt look high in the pictures but when youre up there with NO safety equipment doing it alone and trying not to break any super fragile tiles its a mission.

inside the attic its really badly rotten and needs all the help it can get.

also I am worried that it could be another fire hazard as the only way to heat the house is with the fire stove in the kitchen and other fire places in the other rooms.
hopefully that chimney has a spark arrestor.

what would you do.

GRANITEstateMP

Rip off the old roof, replace all the rotted wood under the roof.  I think anything short of that is just a patch job
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

beenthere

Not sure where you are located. But same solution as your sauna problem. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don P

Ole and Lena's place!
Witness protection or inherited it? There must be a good story here.

It looks like worn out onduline roof tile, crumbly compressed asphalt paper "tiles" with grit? I replaced one 3 or 4 years ago, we were just crunching through it while stripping it off.

Quotewhat would you do.

Start with a walk around looking low, Do you have good access to the underside of the floor, does it have an intact foundation, Are there cracks with movement. What is the condition of the sills, drill and probe a little. Read up on how to do a pick test, here or on the net. If by some miracle it has good bones below, I'd inspect the attic and try to determine the extent of the rot. If the building is worth saving, remove and replace the roof and begin chasing rot and bugs to the foundation. You'll need to open it up from one side or the other to insulate, wire and plumb. It is small, simple, unadorned by modern stuff. If it were mine I would probably measure it, photo or salvage some details while dismantling it and fire up the sawmill, it looks like it is past its service life.

mudfarmer

You know you are working too hard when you start to understand Don. I am going to take a break  ffsmiley For the uninitiated, look up Ole and Lena  ffcheesy ffcheesy

Thank You Sponsors!