iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bike Trip 2014

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, July 01, 2014, 10:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

It's a most wonderful time of the year!

My buddy Gerald, Diane and I (Gerald on his own bike) are getting ready for this years big bike trip. I alluded to it in the pig roast RSVP thread so I figured I better get busy with a thread on it.

This year we are starting off completely different. We are shipping the bikes to San Francisco where we will fly out to meet them and ride home.  I have never trailered a bike anywhere and would have loved to ride out to SF but time is not permitting it. We have an early flight that puts us in SF at 9am local. We take a 5 minute cab ride to the HD dealer and we are on our way.

We usually run our trips pretty loose but here's the basics with one very important deadline close to the end. After having lunch in Chinatown we will cross the Golden Gate and head north. Our first sight seeing stop will be Humboldt Redwoods State Park. This is a bucket list item for me. I have always wanted to drive down the Avenue of the Giants.

Next big touristy stop is Crater Lake Or. I'm sure there will be some excellent riding to get there. The Redwoods highway or the Kalamath highways look like the way to go.

Traveling north to Washington state and the Grand Coulee Dam is a definite possibility. From there we will head into northern Montana were we must see Glacier National Park.

From here we have no direction. we may jump up into Canada or we may run east to Red Wing Minnesota and visit friends.

Our next big stop will be in Harrison for the Pig Roast. There are a lot of miles between SF and FF PR but I truly believe we can time it.

whew, I'm tired of typing. More later
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Gadrock

Hope you have a wonderful yet not exciting trip. Too much excitement on a bike trip usually means an accident. There is whole lot of good stuff to see there.

Try going across from Spokan into Montana across Soldier summit. But for the most beautiful road in all of the USA is the Chief Joseph Highway...between Montana and Cody, Wy.

AND  remember to drive for the other guy, since he seems to be driving into you.
BTW my longest single trip seated was over 1100 miles, but with many 1000 mile trip in 24 hours  and several 1500 milers in 36hours.

Enjoy you trip and keep us posted.

David G

Carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

Magicman

Thanks for laying it out Jon, and it sounds like an exciting trip.  No matter what you do, you can not see it all so concentrate on enjoying what you can see.  Have fun.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chet

Make sure you take 'Going To the Sun Road' when at Glacier. If time permits it's great both directions.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Weekend_Sawyer

Chet, that road is right in our path.

WmFritz

Jon, I am SO envious!
What's the timeline from SF to Harrison?

You are crossing through Da UP aren't you. If you have an extra day or two, swing north through the Porkies and Lake of the Clouds. The Keweenaw Peninsula to Copper Harbor is a great ride.

I threw a sleeping bag on the ground alongside a road near Missoula Montana one night. There was a brilliant meteor shower that kept me up till early morning.
Ahh to be single and jobless again  :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: WmFritz on July 01, 2014, 11:35:24 PM
What's the timeline from SF to Harrison?

We have 2 weeks to run from SF to the pig roast. Our plan is to cross the up and time permitting
see Copper Harbor.

Last night the shipper picked up the bikes but not before I called my insurance company to make sure they were covered just in case...

pineywoods

If you have at least a day to spare, swing by Oshkosh, Wisconsin, 90 miles north of Milwaukee. The annual EAA convention and airshow will be in full swing the entire week before the pig roast. World's largest aviation event, Over 10,000 airplanes of every kind, 3 hour daily air show, including the US Airforce thunderbirds. Plus a world class museum.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

jargo432

I've been planning my own bike trip as well.  The only difference.... mine has pedals.  :D

I gave up my Harley years ago and I have to admit I some days I miss it.

I was just wondering if you would be interested in posting your packing list?  I'm always trying to think of things I would need on such and adventure.
Jack of all trades.

blackfoot griz

Weekend Sawyer,
Sounds like a great run. I work/travel NW Montana and there is a lot of neat things to see. They are almost done clearing the Going To The Sun Hwy of snow in Glacier NP. If there is anything I can do to help you out on your Montana portion of your run, please send me a pm. Safe travels!

Weekend_Sawyer

Jargo, I pack light and for the bike I only take a small tool bag with plyers, screwdrivers and a couple of wrenches. Enough to make some adjustments or whatever. We pack rain gear, leathers and a hoodie and there have been times when you have to wear all of that at the same time! I size my rain gear so it can fit over my leathers. Beyond that we carry water, snacks, light and heavy gloves and enough underwear for half the trip.

Magicman

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on July 07, 2014, 09:10:07 AMand enough underwear for half the trip. 
OK, I understand, but I've still gotta laugh. :D  Now everyone will be wondering if you have drawers on at the PR.  :D

When backpacking, I carry my raggediest (wow, what a word) :-X drawers and drop the used pair in the fire each night.  My pack gets lighter and I am not packing used underwear out.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gspren

Quote from: Magicman on July 07, 2014, 03:38:23 PM
Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on July 07, 2014, 09:10:07 AMand enough underwear for half the trip. 
OK, I understand, but I've still gotta laugh. :D  Now everyone will be wondering if you have drawers on at the PR.  :D

When backpacking, I carry my raggediest (wow, what a word) :-X drawers and drop the used pair in the fire each night.  My pack gets lighter and I am not packing used underwear out.

If you are cooking over the fire I hope you do the cooking BEFORE the ceremonial skivvies burning.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

21incher

Back in 1980 my wife and I went on a several thousand mile bike trip to Nashville with a couple of friends. Our friends stayed in hotels and my wife and I had very little money so we camped. The bike on the left in the pic is mine a xs1100. This is how we packed. The fairing was stuffed with a propane stove, propane light, propane tanks, 2 mess kits, cooking utensils, a hatchet, tools, a first aide kit, and spices. The saddle bags were stuffed with clothes, camera, and toiletries. The 2 duffel bags strapped on the saddle bags had clothes and rain gear. The back rack had a tent, air mattresses, 2 sleeping bags, a tarp, a foldable cooler, and yes that is a 24 inch barbecue grill strapped on top. We looked like a pack mule, but the ride was glass smooth with all the extra weight. I thought you would get a kick out of this pic.

Now I ride a Harley that probably wouldn't move with all that weight.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Weekend_Sawyer

I salute you 21incher. Back in 84' I camped some off of a sportster. No more. I want a hot shower and a soft bed and a touring bike!

Corley5

I had my Nightster out tonight for the 1st time in two seasons.  Put on about 50 miles and I'm feeling it   :( ;) :D  Have fun and becareful  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chet

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on July 07, 2014, 07:59:33 PM
I salute you 21incher. Back in 84' I camped some off of a sportster. No more. I want a hot shower and a soft bed and a touring bike!

I gotta agree.  ;D   I've gotten soft in my old age.  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

chet

Quote from: Corley5 on July 07, 2014, 09:37:01 PM
I had my Nightster out tonight for the 1st time in two seasons.  Put on about 50 miles and I'm feeling it   :( ;) :D  Have fun and becareful  :)

Must be da night ta dig stuff out of storage. Da wife and I just returned from a trip ta da lake. First time we had da ski boat out in 10 years and 1 month. Been long over due.

gspren

Can I join the trip? I have a 1970 Honda CT 90 that will get up to 35MPH with my robust self on it, on the bright side it would be cheap to ship. I might need a tow rope going over the mountains  ;D. Have fun and maybe we will see you in Michigan.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Weekend_Sawyer

Just landed in San Francisco!
We pick the bikes up in about a half hour!!!!

OneWithWood

...and so the fun begins!

Have fun and keep the shiny side up  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Weekend_Sawyer

We had lunch in SF with Diane's sister. Crossed the golden gate and took route 1 north. Fantastic ride. This morning we are heading north on 101. Scenic Overkill!! I can't take it all in and we haven't even hit the redwoods yet!

CHARLIE

That sounds like the trip of a lifetime!  Many times I wish I had a road bike. Mine is only a little over 400 pounds and after a couple of hundred miles my butt is feelin' it. :-)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

OneWithWood

Still got the old T100, Charlie?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!