iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cancar20/Gearmatic 19 winch problems

Started by Arich, November 12, 2008, 09:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arich

I have a can car 20 on my skidder. The brake band wont hold anymore. The bands are new the line is bled, im not asking more from the winch than it can do. Does anyone have any expereince with this?

Jeff

Are the bands dry?  If you get any brake or hydraulic fluid in there it'll slip.  We would sometimes have to bake the brake bands in the oven over night after a leak and then still have to burn them in by hooking on a bifg tree.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Stephen Alford

If the bands are not the source of your grief you might try borrowing or possibly get your hands on a new master cylinder for a couple of hours to see if that is the problem. Yours may be worn or have a piece of dirt lodged in there and it will not maintain the pressure.  Just a thought.  Stephen  :-\
logon

Ed_K

On my 19 I had to replace the spring on the brake controler next to the band. I also replaced the swivel on the clutch control to an over the counter live swivel and that took care of the leaking brake fluid.
Ed K

MaineLogger

380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

Arich

Drum Bearings? I think mine are ok, ill check when I get there today. The bands are nearly new and have no oil on them. I tried shimming the brake spring with a washer and that didnt seem to make to much of a difference. Im baffled.

Kodiakmac

Hi Arich.  I think you've been visited by the winch witch.

I looked at a C4 a few weeks ago with a CanCar 20 on it.  Skidder worked fine, winch brake not at all.   The owner figured he had slopped some fluid down in the bands, so he stripped it down, cleaned everything out and then dried it all up. The last call I got from him was to say that the winch was working a but he had to 'adjust' the bands because he couldn't freewheel the winch.

I don't know anything about CanCar winches, but just because you said the bands were new, maybe it's just a bit of a seating problem that can be fixed by 'adjustment'?
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

Arich

Funny you should mention that. Unlike gearmatic there is no brake band adjustment screw. This has forced me to become smarter than the winch. I backed out the two bolts on top that hold the brake band slave in place and presto... Im pretty sure its a spring issue, like Ed said.

John Woodworth

Some times with a new brake band you need to burnish the linning. hang on to a stump and pull against it feathering the brake allowing it to slip, usually one or two times down the length of your drum line it will work fine.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

frndly neighborhd loger

your drum could be wore. oversized brakebands will fix that. they come 40thnds bigger. try pb&h equipment in antrim NH 1-888-588-3005 they will ship parts anywhere not to mention they can get alot of aftermarket & used parts for most equipment . only after all options have failed

lonewolf

Which winch are you having troubles with? I had a 19 in a 240 TJ that I had troubles with years ago. It did not have a winch adjustment screw either. It did have a spring and a rod that I had to play with. I can't remember but I think I had to shorten the rod to get it to hold. If I remember a little bit went a long ways. Also does it winch in correctly? I had an Eaton/Hercules that would winch itself all over but not hold. No amount of adjustment would fix. The winch brake band was cracked between the bolts that attached it to the winch.
"EARTH FIRST"  WE'LL LOG THE OTHER PLANETS LATER

John Woodworth

As I said before somet times you need to burnisn in the band , I've done many times on my skidders and that was how I was told to do it by Garrett and it does work, if you don't have any fluid leakage and the spring isn't broken or hanging up due to rust thats all there is, I've been running Gearmatic winches for 28 years now and have rebuilt many others and you start mickey mousing things and all you will have is problems.
Just so you will know the only way to put more tension on the brake band is to turn the brake spring cap over and put it on flat side to the spring instead of seated in ths recess.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

frndly neighborhd loger

did youy ever figure the thing out??? we all would like to know the answere to this riddle.

frndly neighborhd loger

your drum could be wore. if thats the case you can get .020 over sized bands to take up the difference . my uncle had the same problem with his 540 that came with a gearmatic 19.its an idea

John Woodworth

Copied from Gearmatic manual:
Attach the winch cable to a stump and drive the tractor away from the stump using low gear. Allow the brake to slip just enough to let the tractor move forward until all the cable has been run out from drum. Repeat this operation until the tractor has travelled a total of 300 ft. under these conditions. Allow the winch to cool and check the holding power of the brake. Repeat if necessary.

Allow the winch to cool for 10-15 minutes

Remove the brake bands and replace them with new parts.

Check that the brake levers are properly engaged in the brake band ends and that the have clearance to permit them to move in the direction of engagement. If the brake bands are worn and the brake levers are free to travel in the direction of engagement, turn the spring cap over so that the counter bore is away from the spring. This will give an increase in spring load. If the brake still does not hold a load, replace the brake bands with new parts.

Replace the brake spring.

This is the complete from Gearmatic on a slipping drum and as I've said before the bands need to be burnished in being that they are new, been there, done it, it works.

frndly neighborhd loger

hey, arich what the hell was wrong with your winch ?

cancar

Quote from: frndly neighborhd loger on March 28, 2009, 08:48:03 AM
your drum could be wore. oversized brakebands will fix that. they come 40thnds bigger. try pb&h equipment in antrim NH 1-888-588-3005 they will ship parts anywhere not to mention they can get alot of aftermarket & used parts for most equipment . only after all options have failed

greasemonkey

Anyone on here know how to bleed the master cylinder on a gearmatic 19 or am I on the wrong site??????????

coxy

you mean control handle   pump handle hold crack line      pump handle hold crack line  pump handle hold crack line    pump handle hold crack line

Ed_K

Ed K

HiTech

I had a problem with my 119 Gearmatic. It didn't want to hold a hitch up when you winched it in. Pulled the side cover everything looked good. Put a rebuild kit in the master controller. Worked good in warm weather. As soon as it got cold it would not hold. I had some deicer spray and sprayed it around the drum on both sides. I hooked to a tree and pulled the cable out and winched it back in...did this several times. It seemed to work OK after that. That night I put a mud flap over the winch and set a chunk of wood on it so it wouldn't blow off. I have kept that mud flap over the winch ever since when not is use. Haven't had any more trouble.

coxy

hey look at that learnt something new today deicer  ill have to tell to the guy that im working with I have to deice the winch before we go to work :D :D  never though of that    thanks for the tip HiTech                    :new_year:

BHC

i was told before that the cancar winch and gearmatic bands are different sizes not by much but enough to cause a problem do you have the right bands?
84 C5D Tree Farmer, 78 S8 International, Thompson Band Mill, M14 Foyley Belsaw

labtrouble2

looking for a manual or parts break down for a cancar20b

Stephen Alford

Welcome to the forum  labtrouble2 .   Paccar had manuals you used to be able to access.  (pdf file)  Had a very nice gentleman purchase my skidder and gave him everything I had, hope that helps.
logon

Thank You Sponsors!