iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kohler Command 25 Back Firing when letting off the engine as blade exits log

Started by Drafthorse, July 03, 2018, 02:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drafthorse

I have a Woodmizer LT40 HD. Recently the motor started back firing as you let off the power coming out of the log. It only back fires once then settles into an idle.

MartyParsons

What is the base idle setting? RPM. 

1800 RPM Low setting
3750 for High setting. Governed RPM

Lean condition could also cause back fire. Intake system sucking air. Muffler leak is also something to check. 
Hope this helps. 
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

esteadle

Backfires are caused by unburned fuel and hydrocarbons getting out of the combustion chambers and into the exhaust system where they ignite and explode. Incomplete combustion comes from weak spark, leaky valves (especially exhaust valves), rich mixtures, and insufficient air. 

The Kohler troubleshooter also suggests: 
 Bad fuel
 Dirt in fuel lines
 Overloaded engine 
 Dirty air cleaner
 Faulty spark plug

See here: 
Troubleshooting | KOHLER

How many hours on this engine?
When was the last time you did a full maintenance (oil, oil filter, plugs, fuel filter, and air filter)? 
I just did mine for the year and I swear my CH730 is running almost better than new.

esteadle

It only back fires once then settles into an idle.

I think maybe the air filter needs changed. If it was something else, it might keep backfiring. But right after the governor cuts back on the fuel feed at the end of the cut, it's just a bit of extra fuel getting past the exhaust valves, and if not enough air, i could totally see this happening. 

47sawdust

I've had that happen to me and after cleaning the air filter it stopped.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

ladylake

Also if it has a muffler screen make sure its not clogged.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Ben Cut-wright

Quote from: Drafthorse on July 03, 2018, 02:29:45 PM
I have a Woodmizer LT40 HD. Recently the motor started back firing as you let off the power coming out of the log. It only back fires once then settles into an idle.
Backfiring out the exhaust or intake?  Severe loud bang backfire or light pop?  Have you pulled spark plugs to check their condition?  Fouled plugs, and even slight amounts of oil in combustion, can cause backfires.  Compression and leak down tests can point to, or possibly eliminate,  head gasket and valve problems, both likely causes of backfires on these engines.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is how my ex-Kohler started.
It would saw like a new one going through a log but when the blade came out of the cut,
the (TPS) Throttle Position Sensor was giving the engine to much gas and not backing off.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Oliver05262

I'd look for an exhaust leak. When the engine idles back quickly, air can be pulled in and the excess oxygen lets the rich mixture ignite in the muffler.
(DISCLAIMER) this is based on my experience years ago with White and I-H gas mixers and log trucks. You could let off the throttle in traffic, count one-two, and scare the life out of someone on the sidewalk!! Not nice to do, so I was careful. most of the time............
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Thank You Sponsors!