iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A really nice experience

Started by Ocklawahaboy, June 08, 2015, 10:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ocklawahaboy

So.... in the last 3 days, I've been on two more of my famous log gathering adventures.  The first was so-so, and I went home with some low-grade logs for more than I should have paid. 

The one today really stood out though, although the logs were not fabulous, I was excited to get them.

I have a meeting for my "day job" down in southwest FL so I found an ad for a firewood guy who sells whole logs.  I contacted him and told him that I couldn't haul a lot in my pickup but that I enjoyed bringing back S. FL stuff that I couldn't get up my way. I knew he had Australian Pine and some Mahogany. 

Insert disclaimer: I saw for fun not for money.   

We set up a meeting time today.  I got there and he was late but I was thoroughly entertained by his Puerto Rican helper that I would could have sworn had a strong cajun accent.  He showed up towing his loader that I found out he had pulled from another job to load my logs.  His lot was a little - or a lot - disorganized but he took me all around and showed me what he had and let me pour through the piles for what I wanted.  He cut sections off of 2 logs and put the rest back in the pile, although I paid for all of one of them.  When it was all said and done he had loaded 4 short sections of different kinds of wood that I had never milled into my truck.  I hardly had to lift a finger.  All told it was an hour and a half of his time.  He was as nice as he could be and encouraged me to get exactly what I wanted out of the piles.  When I asked for the damages, it came to $40.  Really, $40 for hauling a loader, operating it, bucking logs etc for 90 minutes.  I handed him $60 and felt like I'd cheated him. 

He said he was planning to get a sawmill so I gushed about the forum and what he could learn here. 

He urged me to come back the next time I'm down here and, as nice as he was, I surely will. 

I now have a piece of mahogany, Norfolk pine, Australian pine and another pine (Callahan maybe) that he said you only get down here. I'll have a blast seeing what they all look like. 

Here's what his yard looked like. Believe it or not, there were some really nice logs mixed in there, I just went for the sampler platter, instead of a big serving of one dish.

drobertson

Sounds like a good trip, and will be looking forward to see some pics of the mahogany. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ron Wenrich

How big of a firewood market do they have in S Fl?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ocklawahaboy

He said he had sold just about every stick of wood off the place this past winter, which was mild even by FL standards.  My guess is it goes to the campgrounds, which are all completely full all winter.

LAZERDAN

It's all about the thrill of the hunt.  Where's the log loader ? 
                                                                                     Lazerdan

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: LAZERDAN on June 09, 2015, 09:21:44 PM
It's all about the thrill of the hunt.  Where's the log loader ? 
                                                                                     Lazerdan
When I was taking those pics, he was loading one in my truck.

petefrom bearswamp

Good score Josh, look forward to seeing you this winter.
Will be in FL in mid December and maybe hook up to help you saw again.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!