iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Been Slabbing some giant Syacamore

Started by Stagerig, February 03, 2013, 04:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stagerig

Thanks to a Craigslist "Free" add we have been milling some beautiful Sycamore slabs lately.  The largest log was 4ft. at the butt end.  These are going to make some amazing tables in a year or two.  The logs had been on the ground for about a year before we got them, the spalting is incredible.   

The logs were in the backyard of a downtown rental house, the landlord was desperate to get them out of his yard.

The Peterson Slabber Attachment works like a champ. This was our first try with the attachment.

Nicely stickered in the background.

Incredible figure and grain!
Peterson WPF with Slabber, Woodmizer LT40, Kioti 455 w/FEL, MasseyFerguson 1533 w/FEL, New Holland C185, Granberg MarkIII & MiniMill, Husqvarna 3120XP, 455, 385XP, Shindaiwa 575x2 & 757

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Holy Moly Stagerig. Now that's a whack of Poplar.  8) The grain looks good.

Gotta hand it to ya.  smiley_clapping
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Delawhere Jack

Maple David! Maple, can't ya see? Says so right in the title....... smiley_big_grin3

(I'm starting to get slabber envy......)

Delawhere Jack

Is that rebar you're using for sticking?

Dave Shepard

Looks like grooved stacking sticks, I don't remember the brand name off hand.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Seaman

Nicely done. Been wondering what sycamore looked like.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

woodsy

The stickers look like breeze dried.  I beleive the company that makes them up in Canada has a patent on them.
LT40HDG38, Logrite T36 log arch, 42 hp Kubota, 6 foot cross cut saw, lots of axes and not enough time

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on February 03, 2013, 05:17:49 PM
Maple David! Maple, can't ya see? Says so right in the title....... smiley_big_grin3

(I'm starting to get slabber envy......)

Well SLAP ME JACK..... :D :D :D :D I did read Sycamore but when I saw the pics, my mind went to Poplar.  :D
Keep me straight Brother.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

fishpharmer

Stagerig, cool pictures. The slabs are beautiful.   8)
How did you load and unload those big logs?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Stagerig

With our New Holland tracked skidsteer with its log forks/grapple.
Peterson WPF with Slabber, Woodmizer LT40, Kioti 455 w/FEL, MasseyFerguson 1533 w/FEL, New Holland C185, Granberg MarkIII & MiniMill, Husqvarna 3120XP, 455, 385XP, Shindaiwa 575x2 & 757

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Okrafarmer

Welcome, Stagerig! Do I know you? Nice logs, nice sawmill. I didn't realize there was a Peterson so close by, after the nice gentleman up at Keowee sold his.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Stagerig

Okrafarmer, I don't believe we have met.  I bought the Peterson from that nice gentleman to add to my collection.  Do most of my milling with a Woodmizer.  Good to meet you.

jueston

its a small world!

those are some fine looking slabs, i can't imagine having such beautiful slabs and having to wait 2 years, by then i would forget they were drying and when i remember them, it would be like putting on your winter jacket and finding cash you left in there the winter before....  :)

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Stagerig on February 04, 2013, 12:30:05 PM
Okrafarmer, I don't believe we have met.  I bought the Peterson from that nice gentleman to add to my collection.  Do most of my milling with a Woodmizer.  Good to meet you.

Well, I guess we'll have to get together sometime! I'll send you a PM. BTW, the gentleman up at Keowee had two Petersons and sold both of them. I was trying to buy the 8", and couldn't "swing" the money. He also had a 10". Which one did you get? I think they both had slabber attachments.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Sawdust Lover

Nice job on the slabs, but does that trailer say 6 ton on it?

terrifictimbersllc

Nice job on the slabs. Wish I had a place to store and market them.  Nice thing about wide sycamore slabs is that the flat and rift sawn have their own beauty not just the QS. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!