iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

board and batten siding

Started by tat, January 20, 2004, 09:36:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitch

UncleBuck.

Quotehey Mitch , what kind of stain did you put on your b&b
For the first 15 years I used a clear preservative , Olympic. Unfortunately, after about 10 years the boards began to gray in places so I just used a dark stain.

Quoteand did you let the boards dry for awhile before you fastened them on .
The Southern short leaf pine boards (8",10",12") were air dried for a year or two. Only used the best boards for the house and then ran the back side through the planer so all boards would fit flat against the framing.

Quotealso did you just fasten one side of each board and then fasten the batten through the middle, and and and did you fasten the b&b directly to the stud framework .
Purlining was placed at about two feet spacing between all of the studs and the boards were nailed directly to the purlining.

QuoteI like looking at that picture and just recently in my Gurneys seed catalog I saw shagbark hickory trees,

Shagbark (scaley bark) hickories are magnificent trees. My yard and extended barnyard/sawmill yard have numerous hickory trees, a mix of shagbark and pignut hickories. If you want to really test the alignment of your saw run a 30" dead pignut hickory log through the mill and listen to the tractor bellow!
Mitch

Jacar

I just put up some B/B for the interior of my garage/carport.  I used boards I sawed for paneling I am going to use in my old garage for a bedroom.  They are SYP 10" wide X 5/8".  The batts were 2 1/2".  

I spaced my boards about 3/4" apart to save on boards.  For barns and other structures do yall butt the boards together or do yall leave a gap?

Jacar
Jack Watkins

Tom

UNCLEBUCK

thanks for answering all the questions mitch ! yeah I like that shagbark stuff. cktate that is a very nice picture of what you did there, I like that style too , its all good here !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

UNCLEBUCK

mitch , when you put horizontal blocking like that between all the studs did it make installing fiberglass insulation hard to do or did you use foam sheets or something like that. thanks

woodbeard

QuoteI spaced my boards about 3/4" apart to save on boards.  For barns and other structures do yall butt the boards together or do yall leave a gap?

I did that once, and by the time I put the battens on, they would barely cover the gaps. I put up some 15" oak boards butted right up together, now there are gaps of almost 2 inches.

UNCLEBUCK

cktate , thanks for telling how you did that, thats interesting stuff !  woodbeard thats a big gap , I guess thats what I will have eventually the way I first did things . oh well, it worked I guess.

cluckerplucker

Tom are you trying to bad mouth chicken farmers?

cluckerplucker
cecil

Tom

......and miss a good meal from Mrs. Chickenfarmer?  Nosiree bobcat :D

Thank You Sponsors!