iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cherry saw

Started by Den Socling, July 13, 2016, 01:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

I was in an office the other day and noticed a cane leaning against a wall. I picked it up and was admiring it when a woman started telling me about it. She said they have an older client who makes them. She went in a back room and brought out an arm load of cherry and walnut canes. They sell them and 100% of the money goes back to the old guy who makes them. How much? $25! Naturally, one followed me home.

It's laying on one of Patti's benches.

I wouldn't even cut the teeth for $25.

Czech_Made

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Den Socling

The picture that I thought would show the teeth didn't work so I took a couple more.

Would you do that for $25? Like somebody said, it's obviously a labor of love.

Magicman

It would have followed me home too!   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

At least one would have come home with me too!

Den Socling

I've been thinking that if the old gentleman needs to supplement his income, we could sell them from our website. All money would go to him, of course. I'll email the woman I talked to and she can inquire. I also saw a bowl he made. He is a talented craftsman.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Den Socling

I'll tell him we have an offer of $30.  :D

Czech_Made

I wonder if he uses a jig to space the teeth?

lowpolyjoe

Beautiful work.  It makes me a little sad when something like that sells for so cheap. 

I can see the body being quick work if you have a bandsaw to rough it out and a router table with a template to finish with.  But you're right about the teeth - I can't see a quick way to do those. 

I hope the work itself brings him some happiness.

thecfarm

That looks good.
Brenda has a had time charging for her baked goods. If she started out with $1000 for the month,at the end of the month she would have $1100.  :(  But she is happy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bucknwfl

Put me down for one at $30

Thanks

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

21incher

That is just amazing. After paying for the wood, hardware, supplies, and finish that man only made about $10.00.  He must love woodworking. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Corley5

Maybe he's got a CNC that cuts one out in a couple minutes  ;) ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ScottAR

Those are pretty darn neat!  I would have came home with one as well.

Just thinking out loud, It would be pretty productive to gang cut the teeth on a table saw with a sled.
Once you made the first tooth, it could set on a register for the next cut.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

WDH

What a fine piece of work.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Seavee

I'll take one for 30.00. Maybe even a little more  back story of the craftsman to go with it if you can find out more.
Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

Den Socling

I hope to find out more about the craftsman. All I know is that he is an elderly wood worker. That is what the woman said.

I hope to follow this plan. Next week I'll buy whatever is at the office less one for display and one for sale. I'll pay $30 a piece. Those of you who want one can email me at dsocling@vacdry.com. Give me your shipping address. After we ship and know what the shipping cost are, we can send you an invoice. I'll have to buy some boxes from U-line, too.

OffGrid973

I am in for $30 with a validation of non-CNC :)

When I get $300 I will order the Outhouse and hang this beauty on it.

PM the details for the saw when someone gets them.

Thanks,
Chris
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Den Socling

Tomorrow I will ship the saws for which I have an address. If you didn't send an address, it will be at least a month before I ship any more. I will be traveling.
Also, the saws don't all have the same number of teeth. It doesn't look like CNC.

Magicman

And now I have one. 

Thank you Den.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Den Socling

You're very welcome. My pleasure.

bucknwfl

Mine came in the mail today just in time for my birthday. Happy birthday to ME

Thanks

Den

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

Den Socling

Well that's nice. Happy Birthday!

Thank You Sponsors!