iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wow - Hobby Hardwood is Listed as Number 1 Hardwood Retailer in Alabama

Started by YellowHammer, January 01, 2022, 08:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

One of our customers came in today and congratulated us and said that we had been listed as the top retail hardwood lumber supplier in Alabama by Home Woodworker.com, a national website that does woodworking "stuff".  Wow.  We even beat out Woodcraft in Birmingham.  So far we have 98 Google five star reviews and 1 four star review.  

Anyway, I had to brag little and thought some folks would be interested in this.  It shows that if we can do it, anybody can do it.  As mentioned in another topic just a few days ago, it all started with a little hand crank LT-15.  

Here are a couple excerpts from the article:

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

thecfarm

See what some smarts and a bunch of hard work will do??
 Maybe that's why not many are doing it.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Larry

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WV Sawmiller

Congratulations Robert. I am surprised it is not the whole South or even a larger venue. 8)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

This is not a surprise for some of us, including me. I have known for a while you guys are top notch. BTW, you are not bragging when you state a fact. ;D Good on ya', well deserved!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

trimguy

newoodguy78

That's an accomplishment to be proud of. Congratulations on your efforts. 

Walnut Beast

It goes to show that when you have dreams and visions along with constantly learning and hard work with a little time and patience that anything can be accomplished. And in return have shared your vast knowledge with everyone. Very much appreciated and respected.

CONGRATULATIONS!

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Downstream

Excellent news and congratulations!  always nice to see domestic/local business focused on providing high quality products and service be recognized by the market they serve.  And you still have time to hang with us commoners and from time to time.  :D :D :D
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

barbender

That is awesome! But I have to disagree on one point, Robert- just because you did it doesn't mean anyone can😊 You have a rare drive and gift for organization IMO. Congratulations for how it is all bearing fruit!
Too many irons in the fire

caveman

You and Martha have done well.  I have enjoyed watching the progression of the business over the years on the Forestry Forum, videos and on your website.  JohnM quotes you while making a point to me at least once every day that we work with the sawmill or wood.

One of these days we need to take a road trip to see Hobby Hardwood.  If we do, we'll likely have another slide down the slippery slope.
Caveman

Ianab

From the Woodworking side, they are always crying out for places to buy decent wood, without 3 middlemen (and the markups that entails). 

So it's a business model that can work. But it takes hard (and smart) work to make it happen (and still make a profit  ;) )

So yeah, awesome job  8)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

olcowhand

Quote from: YellowHammer on January 01, 2022, 08:45:52 PMAnyway, I had to brag little and thought some folks would be interested in this.

My Dad always said: "If you can do it, it ain't Bragging!".... Congratulations!
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

SawyerTed

Congratulations!  You did it the old fashioned way. You earned it!  That's something to be proud of and nobody thinks you are bragging.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

customsawyer

Congratulations!!!! Y'all put in the effort to get there and it shows. I'm stoked for you guys.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

kelLOGg

Doesn't surprise me. He has been very responsive to my PMs.
(That's personal messages, not PMS)
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

YellowHammer

I appreciate all the sentiments.  Much credit goes to this Forum, Jeff, all the Admins and the Forum members who keep the Forum running cleanly and professionally. This is the only Forum I participate in, although I occasionally peek in on others, at some point I get turned off from them and walk on.  Life is too short to deal with negativity, hostility and stupidity.  Plus, I'm always learning something here, there are folks here who know a lot more than I do, so I look forward to logging on in the morning.    

The folks on this Forum are first class, and I enjoy participating and talking to the members, many of whom have grown to be close friends.  

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

WV Sawmiller

Don't forget to remind everyone to eat their grits,  boiled peanuts and Black-eyed peas. :D A good breakfast, lunch and snack is essential to a productive work environment. ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

That's a fact, lots of people ask how they can do this too, and I tell them they'd better find a Martha, or they don't have a chance!

Grits?  Black eyed peas?  I eat Zaxby's and Fajita's!

YellowHammerisms:

Thank You Sponsors!