iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

knife sharpeners

Started by petefrom bearswamp, January 11, 2022, 10:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Cant remember where the thread was, but knife sharpeners were discussed.
Based on posts there I ordered a Lansky system.
Came yesterday.
Package says Lansky sharpeners, PO box 800 Buffalo NY
Right below, You guessed it, made in China.
I havent opened the package yet for detailed instructions (I hope) but seems to me that the angle will depend on the distance from the angle piece to the knifes edge.
Am I correct in assuming this?
BTW to my southern friends, just finished a 2 serving batch of Bobs Red Mill grits topped with 2 sunny side up eggs.
I suspect some here are smacking their lips while others are gagging.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

VB-Milling

HM126

WDH

Pete,

You have always been a progressive man.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

TroyC

There are 4 slots on the aluminum angled piece. Which slot you use determines the angle. I use the 20 degree for most of my hunting knives. Less for fillet knives. More for heavier stuff 

TroyC

Saw a shrimp and grits recipe on cooking show this am. Might thaw out some shrimps tonight....

petefrom bearswamp

I understand that there are different slots for different angles, but simple triangulation says that distance from the slot will affect the angle albeit very minutely
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

21incher

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on January 11, 2022, 05:44:31 PM
I understand that there are different slots for different angles, but simple triangulation says that distance from the slot will affect the angle albeit very minutely

Very slightly. Full even strokes make it all flow together. I have never seen it affect the final sharpness.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Walnut Beast

The best knife sharpener out there now is the Wicked Edge 

K-Guy

Quote from: Walnut Beast on January 11, 2022, 11:12:58 PMThe best knife sharpener out there now is the Wicked Edge 

The best one I know I got from my mom this fall. It was my grandfather's on her side, then hers and now mine. I learned to sharpen knives with it as a boy and have never found a better way. As a cook in a kitchen with shared knives, the other cooks would watch for me to sharpen one the take for their use as none could do as good as I and I hated using a dull knife. That's how you end up cutting yourself.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Thank You Sponsors!