iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need a small propane shop heater recommendation

Started by kelLOGg, January 17, 2022, 12:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

It will go in my unheated barn/shop and will serve to warm me as I pause by it. Not trying to heat the whole space. The tank top model in the pic heats adequately but the push button behaves erratically: holding it in for twenty seconds sometimes is sufficient and sometimes the flame will extinguish after holding it in for 5 minutes. This is the 2nd unit I have had so I don't want another. Note the wedge holding the button in. :o
What do you use?

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

tawilson

They work a lot better when you bypass the tip over sensor or whatever it is. Just don't tip it over.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

gasman1075

There is a little  thermocouple that acts as the safety if you unscrew the coaxial end from the push button valve and clean up the end with a little sand paper that may eliminate your issues. It is producing milli-volts so it doesn't take a lot of corrosion to cause problems
JD 2302R/Stihl MS461/Stihl MS261/ Timberwolf TW-P1/ new left hip /

HemlockKing

That is so funny. I went and got the same one today except i got dual heaters
A1

Tom King

I've never had good luck with that kind lasting long.

btulloh

The Buddy propane heaters work pretty well. At TSC, Northern, Cabelas, etc.
HM126

stavebuyer

I have been through herd of propane including the one you pictured as well as Buddies. I went back to kerosene. Noiseless and reliable.

Claybraker

Not trying to be a stick in the mud, considering how flammable wood dust is maybe something without an open flame?

Jeff

I dont trust the buddy heaters to be left unattended. I almost had a raised deerstand burn down this fall when one caught fire. One that had been cleaned and prepped to be out there.

I use a max propane heater i got from tractor supply, but it needs to be plugged in for the fan. Itll raise the heat on  1200 square feet about 50°

Not quiet. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SawyerTed

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

I've got one of these.  It works good but leave a window open for air exchange ;) :)  

Dyna-Glo 50K-80K BTU Convection Propane Tower Portable Heater-RMC-LPC80DG - The Home Depot

I had one of these first and took it back and exchanged it for the convection heater because it was so loud you couldn't hear yourself think.

Mr. Heater Contractor Series 75,000 to 125,000 BTU Portable Forced Air Propane Heater-MHC125FAV - The Home Depot
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Walnut Beast

The key to the forced air propane heaters is get one with the electronic ignition. Simple on and off switch that's it. Then you can easily run a plug in thermostat. The only problem with that type is they put a fair amount of condensation in a enclosed area

Don P

Check craigslist for a used monitor or toyo type wall mounted direct vent heater? Sealed combustion and relatively quiet forced air.

aigheadish

I have used several of these products as I've searched for a good way to inexpensively heat my garage and now shop. I'm kind of curious about some electric options but my wife may beat me if I buy more heaters (I think I've run through 5 or 6 now, trying to find one I like).

I've determined that I like kerosene the best as well. It seems less expensive than propane tanks, though it's also a bit harder to come by around here. When it's been really cold, lately, I fire up the torpedo heater I found at a yard sale for 20 bucks, and once it takes the chill off I have the circle style kerosene heater going. If I'm working at the bench I sit it right next to me. I need to look into some forms of heat reflection as the shop isn't as insulated as I'd like to keep the heat in very well...

Propane, though it provides a lot of warmth seems to burn up quickly, at least with the 20 lb tanks. If I learned how to fill small tanks from my 500 gallon tank I'd probably use it more. I've tried the little trash can looking type but it's surprisingly loud, I've tried a similar version, but mushroom capped, to what you already have and I like it a lot, it's quiet, gets very warm quickly and it's easy to fire up. I've not had any issues with my red button, I just hold it in until the metal shrouding stuff starts glowing orange and it's good to go. I don't trust these to run for any extended period of time unattended, where I don't worry about that nearly as much with the kerosene circle type (though it's not nearly as hot).

My shop is attached to the back of my house and just last night I considered running a vent to it. I have a vent in the mudroom that I could easily split into the shop, as it's only a walls worth of space away. It wouldn't effect the thermostat in the house, so it wouldn't cause the furnace to stay on any longer than normal but would take the chill off the room, I think.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

btulloh

X2 on Don P's suggestion. Direct vent heaters are the best and safest but do cost more. You can look for the monitor or toyo's and also check on trailer and rv furnaces, which are also direct vent. Propane or kerosene just depends on your preference. 
HM126

Sedgehammer

On the kerosene heaters . I'll run diesel 8 to 1 gallon of gasoline . Works great . Much cheaper . Don't have to search for it and don't have to have specific containers for it
Necessity is the engine of drive

Tom King

If you decide to buy one of the blower kind, like Ted posted, carry a tank of Propane with you, and test it in the parking lot.  The first one of those I bought, I had to take it back to TSC.  It wouldn't start, and I didn't want to bother trying to fix it, since it was new.

I carried a tank with me when I carried that one back, and the second one I carried out of the store that day worked.  It's worked for several years since then.  The first two wouldn't fire.

aigheadish

@Sedgehammer how's the smell and do you use it indoors? I'm pretty intrigued by this idea and will go investigate. Does it cost any additional maintenance to the heater? Any cons that aren't immediately understood?
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Sedgehammer

Quote from: aigheadish on January 18, 2022, 12:47:15 PM
@Sedgehammer how's the smell and do you use it indoors? I'm pretty intrigued by this idea and will go investigate. Does it cost any additional maintenance to the heater? Any cons that aren't immediately understood?
Stronger smell than kerosene . So far negative long term issues . Been doing for over 20 years
Necessity is the engine of drive

aigheadish

I did some reading up and saw that some folks will use diesel with just a bit of kerosene mixed in. I may try that, or some have used diesel with a splash of 91% rubbing alcohol. I just bought kerosene and diesel and kerosene is in the $4.69 per gallon range while diesel is around $3.50. Anyway I can extend that heat is good with me.

Nebraska

I have a little 35000 btu propane torpedo type heater I use it mostly to heat up the attached garage if I need it.  I have a bigger one that is labeled to run diesel. I run number one and don't use it inside except in the shop where the smell isnt an issue to the spousal unit. :)

gspren

My new building is too big to heat practically since I don't normally need it heated but one of the torpedo heaters might be nice to melt the ice/snow out of the snow blower before bringing it inside plus I could blow some heat on me if needed for putting on chains, etc. Would I be better with propane or kerosene?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

John Mc

I've had really good luck with a Big Buddy Heater for temporary heat. I bought the adapter/filter to connect is to a 20# (5 gal) propane tank, rather than running it off the little disposable canisters. It has three output levels: 4000/9000/18,000 BTU. I've used it in an uninsulated garage and in an insulated shop. It had trouble bringing the 2-car garage up to temperature when it was really cold out (tarping off the open stairs to the second floor helped), but it would hold the heat once I got it warmed up. I also lent it to a friend during a 5 day power outage several years ago. They put it in their living room during the outage and had no problems. It requires no power to light or run.

I also own a small propane torpedo heater that has adjustable output (about 30,000-50,000 BTU, if I recall correctly). It has come in handy on occasion, but is a lot louder than the big Buddy.

As @Walnut Beast mentioned: one thing to keep in mind with any non-vented propane heater: If you are producing a significant amount of BTUs, they will put a lot of moisture in to the room. Our workshop is very tightly sealed - not only did we get all the windows covered in condensation when running the Big Buddy on the high setting, if we ran it for an extended period, we'd get condensation dripping down the walls. I quickly learned to crack two windows on opposite sides of the room to let some moisture out.

An upside of heating with propane: It does not give off carbon monoxide as a product of combustion. It gives off CO2 and water (as long as your propane burner is not totally out of whack). While both CO and CO2 can cause problems, CO is a much more serious concern than CO2. (CO binds preferentially to your red blood cells, so even if oxygen is available in the room, your blood oxygen content will drop if CO is present.)

Kerosene does give off CO. It also burns dirtier which can mean soot build up on surfaces in the room.

Obviously, a vented heater is preferable regardless of which fuel you are burning. However, installing such a heater is not always n the cards, especially if this it just a temporary setup.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

gasman1075

Enerco wall hung vent free is what I use in my garage when I am working on the tractor etc. About $400 comes with a TSTAT and bracket 
JD 2302R/Stihl MS461/Stihl MS261/ Timberwolf TW-P1/ new left hip /

Thank You Sponsors!