iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HemlockKing

Quote from: KEC on March 16, 2021, 08:44:03 PM
HemlocKing, Might I suggest that you make a way to open the boxes so when a bird is done nesting you can clean it out. A couple of drain hoes in the bottom and vent holes just under the roof too. If you put them in the woods you will get mice and flyers and some birds, but many birds prefer a box in an open area. Like to hear what uses them.
I drilled 3/16 holes all over just cant see them in the picture! I did not build a latch though, next time! They shouldn't be hard to open back up just 4 finishing nails on the top
A1

thecfarm

A couple days ago a bald eagle flew in front of me on the way to work. Maybe 1000 feet. Probably the same one I saw on the ice the day before that. Seeing more and more eagles around here. Growing up I did not see many.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HemlockKing

A1

Walnut Beast

KEC

I've been working on watering down the Red Squirrel population here. They eat the seed intended for the birds and later on they will eat bird eggs and nestlings. A few days ago I caught a squirrel and when I went to take it out of the trap a mink was trying to drag it away. He ran and hid when I got near but I left the squirrel (now out of the trap) for him and when I checked a while later the mink had taken his prize; likely under an old truck bed liner to eat in peace. A couple days later I put a squirrel out behind the house and the crows ate some of it. Then a Turkey Vulture started circling above, but before he could get any of it a Red-tailed Hawk  scooped it up and flew off with it. Nothing gets wasted !

HemlockKing

Quote from: KEC on March 18, 2021, 05:01:32 PM
I've been working on watering down the Red Squirrel population here. They eat the seed intended for the birds and later on they will eat bird eggs and nestlings. A few days ago I caught a squirrel and when I went to take it out of the trap a mink was trying to drag it away. He ran and hid when I got near but I left the squirrel (now out of the trap) for him and when I checked a while later the mink had taken his prize; likely under an old truck bed liner to eat in peace. A couple days later I put a squirrel out behind the house and the crows ate some of it. Then a Turkey Vulture started circling above, but before he could get any of it a Red-tailed Hawk  scooped it up and flew off with it. Nothing gets wasted !
KEC, I have the same problems with red squirrel, feisty and curious little guys. I recommend having at least 4-6 bird feeders out but only put seed in 1 or 2 at a time and switch it up, the birds find the seed before the squirrel and by the time the squirrel figures out where it all was it’s gone. If that doesn’t work perhaps a pellet gun..
A1

Hilltop366

Hemlock, it looks like you left you truck in one spot for more than a month and it rusted in place, I try to drive mine once a week so that does not happen. ;D

Looking at your woods and it looks like it could be in my backyard, wondering what part of NS your in? I'm in Yarmouth county a few miles from the ocean.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Hilltop366 on March 18, 2021, 06:13:42 PM
Hemlock, it looks like you left you truck in one spot for more than a month and it rusted in place, I try to drive mine once a week so that does not happen. ;D

Looking at your woods and it looks like it could be in my backyard, wondering what part of NS your in? I'm in Yarmouth county a few miles from the ocean.
Haha! That old chev has been there for 25+ years. I was gonna haul it out to the junk yard but... I kind of like it where it is. I am I'm shelburne county, neighbours! You ready for this mess of a storm?
A1

Hilltop366

Yes neighbours, thats why your woods look so similar, not much hardwood here until you get a few more miles inland. 

I'm not even bothering to put the plow on the truck, I'm thinking most will melt when it hits the ground, I probably just jinxed myself.

KEC

My preffered way to deal with the Red Squirrels is to put a long 2x4 in the trees where the squirrels will find it to be a handy catwalk and leave it for a while. Then put 4 sheet-rock screw in at angles to create a holder for an Oneida size 50 bodygripping trap. No bait or lure and  it is quite selective at catching squirrels and not other animals.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: HemlockKing on March 18, 2021, 06:46:08 PMHaha! That old chev has been there for 25+ years. I was gonna haul it out to the junk yard but... I kind of like it where it is.
Some fella's see a gold mine in old iron around the yard. ;D

What storm you guys get'n? It's a little cooler here today, but 40 and 50's and sun for the next week here. Be mowing grass April 1. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: KEC on March 18, 2021, 10:41:55 PM
My preffered way to deal with the Red Squirrels is to put a long 2x4 in the trees where the squirrels will find it to be a handy catwalk and leave it for a while. Then put 4 sheet-rock screw in at angles to create a holder for an Oneida size 50 bodygripping trap. No bait or lure and  it is quite selective at catching squirrels and not other animals.
Box trap with an apple and you'll catch every squirrel in the yard within a week. Or rat trap with peanut butter if you want to do them in. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HemlockKing

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 19, 2021, 05:47:10 AM
Quote from: HemlockKing on March 18, 2021, 06:46:08 PMHaha! That old chev has been there for 25+ years. I was gonna haul it out to the junk yard but... I kind of like it where it is.
Some fella's see a gold mine in old iron around the yard. ;D

What storm you guys get'n? It's a little cooler here today, but 40 and 50's and sun for the next week here. Be mowing grass April 1. ;D
That's right!  ;D
Started out as rain last night then we got that cold north western wind and turned over night. Probably 5cm down and still going. Just a eastern NS event
A1

doc henderson

2 days ago we had rain, sleet and big snow flakes.  yesterday a bit cool but I was milling more cedar in a sweatshirt.  

they say if you do not like the weather in Ks, wait 5 minutes and it will change! :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Tacotodd

Same saying in AR!
Trying harder everyday.

KEC

SD, No doubt, you can get Red Squirrels with apples or peanut butter, though some situations call for a different method. Some RS are very neophobic and wary of bait and if they have an abundance of food they can be hard to catch in baited sets. You can also take a long board, turn it on edge, and cut a notch about 3/4" deep and as wide as the wooden base of a rat snap trap. Now take a rat snap with the big wide yellow trip pan and drill a  1/8" pilot hole through the base directly under the pan.  Now put the trap in the notch perpendicular to the board and screw it in place so the pan is in line with the top edge of the board. Put the board where the RS will want to use it to move between trees; no bait. There is a place in the Rocky Mts. where there are no RS and the conifers have evolved differently, I think the cones are softer. And the crossbill birds are also affected by the lack of RS competing for seed cones.

KEC

This evening  I went behind the house to look for displaying woodcock doing their courtship flight, which they do at dusk. Found two just behind the house and they put on a great show. If you like birds, you have not lived until you've watched woodcock in courtship flight, Wilson's Snipe doing their flight and "winnowing ",  Upland Sandpiper showing its' stuff and read Aldo Leupolds' book "Sand County Almanac."

SwampDonkey

Yep, every spring the Wilson's snipe invade the wet areas of the woodlot and I have to keep from stepping on woodcock or nests in the late spring when laying out thinning. Between them and an aggravated robin about head high launching for flight out of a plantation spruce tree. :D

HemlockKing

Left this rotting pine up hoping one of these fellas would nest in it and look here! He's almost done he's burrowed our a nice den 
A1

SwampDonkey

Been one of them around the yard picking at some old spruce buts. Ants in them. :)

On another note, I seen the first grackle black bird arrive today. Soon be robins.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: HemlockKing on March 22, 2021, 03:12:14 PM

Left this rotting pine up hoping one of these fellas would nest in it and look here! He's almost done he's burrowed our a nice den
Great picture👍. Dead trees are pretty valuable to many birds

Old Greenhorn

I don't know if he is making a den, we have have a bunch of those fellas around here and they go DEEP for bugs. I leave a few of these trees per acre when doing TSI as long as they are not a threat because it supports the bugs that support the birds that support.... If you clean everything out, then all the critters clear out too. You gotta have balance. Pretty doesn't mean good.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on March 22, 2021, 08:38:48 PM

I don't know if he is making a den, we have have a bunch of those fellas around here and they go DEEP for bugs. I leave a few of these trees per acre when doing TSI as long as they are not a threat because it supports the bugs that support the birds that support.... If you clean everything out, then all the critters clear out too. You gotta have balance. Pretty doesn't mean good.
OGH, you may be right but I did witness him inside the hole and sticking his head out  :)
A1

SwampDonkey

They've got to nest in one, so maybe it'll be that one. Might be home to bats or flying squirrels, owl...........or. Animals share sometimes. They just recently found a group of very rare silver haired bats in one old hollow pine that broke off. It was 160' from the river edge. ;D They died I think, but were collected for the New Brunswick museum. There are hardly any of these in collections across the globe.

Rare silver-haired bat colony discovered in Fredericton old-growth tree | CBC News

Onthesauk

We're about 80 miles of Seattle.  Just south of town, alongside the freeway a big field, maybe a couple of hundred acres, has been planted with a cover crop of some short.  There are half a dozen fake bald eagles on stakes to keep the swans and snow geese out.  Today driving by there today were 750 to 1,000 snow geese all munching down.  Didn't seem to scare them much.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Thank You Sponsors!