iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 353 vs 346xp

Started by Bobcat_pa, December 25, 2003, 03:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CWS

Yes, the 346 might be considered a dog in the wrong hands. The 353 will have less peak power over a broader rpm band and will be much more forgiving. I'd really like to run a 353, if it's anything like the 2149/351, it should be a great saw.

Scott

dozerdan

Russ
 Thanks for helping me out, I guess I should put you on my pay role as my new PR man.
 That particular PP346 you had was somewhat throttled back. When I received that saw for porting, it had considerable carbon build up on the top of the piston. That told me that he was still running Dino oil in it. If I see that, I will always set the port timing numbers on the slow side. I cant convince people to run a good quality pure synthetic oil at 32-1. That should stir things up a bit.
 Jonsered did make a few diesel saws. The first was the model XA made from 1954-1960.That saw was only 50cc and it turned at 6000 rpm. One of the more interesting things about that saw was that it used a propane glow plug. You actually had to light your saw before you could start it.
 Jonsered also made the model XC,same basic saw as the XA but it used an electric glow plug and there was a battery pack on the saw.
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
Home of the Original Power Ported Saws
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

jokers

Hi Dan

Dan Hudon`s in Barneveld, NY has an XC hanging on the wall. If I recall correctly, that saw had a place for 2 D cells built into the rear handle. I posted a pic of it and a ring saw under "Diesel Jonny and Sally Saw" at arboristsite for anyone who wants to dig. I somehow lost the original file on my own computer.

BTW, thanks for the pay consideration, LOL, but I`m only giving credit where credit is due.

Russ

tony_marks

just because u got wot,, does not mean the saw will stay in its power band.. thats  what determines [with good cut set up]
  if u got the rite saw for your work..
 i was surprised at the rpm joker was talkin.. i recently  checked most of my saws in cut they only pulled dn to about 10. 000.. with variations for different saws..
  i know joker knows,, what hes talkin ,,so i mite better look again... mabe get a thicker log o hardwood.lol
   so ill understand a bit better,,what to shoot for..

jokers

Hi Tony

If a saw is tuned to run say 13,500 rpm out of the cut, it will try to maintain that speed until it is sufficiently loaded to pull down to where it`s making peak hp and will pull down no more unless you force it. Forcing it would be ham fisted by my definition. It`s entirely likely in my opinion that you have a technique and sharpening ability refined to the point that your saws don`t drop below 10k in the average cut that you make. This is a possible illustration of not taking your rakers down too much also. It`s more efficient to take chips .005 thinner and stay near max loaded rpm than it is to try and take chips .005 thicker and slow the chain visably. Am I making sense?

Russ

tony_marks

u always do russ... russ is the man that put me on to the simple roller guide,as an gift ,,along with some other goodies.... i got an stigmatism and my sharpening was pitiful before i got that little tool.. also i dont forget stuff like that ,,and u can put that in the bank.. :) and if i do remind me ,,as i aint gettin any younger.. :)

Oregon_Rob

Quote u always do russ... russ is the man that put me on to the simple roller guide

Are you talking about the Husky style file guide?
Chainsaw Nerd

Kevin

Oregon_Rob

Never tired one, are they the "ticket"!
Chainsaw Nerd

Kevin

I use them when working in the bush, all you need to do is line up with the witness mark, it gives you the 10o side plate hook for chisel and the proper depth for filing.

Ron Scott

I use it. Makes my filing much better. Get the size for your chain.

~Ron

firtol88

This thread needs a sticky!!!

anyone have any links for these dyno runs? I can't find anything on the walker site http://www.walkerssawshop.com ???

also anyone know of any database of dyno runs on stock saws
There's men who drink Guinness, and there's men who drink what's left when we're done with it.

* Note to Democrats, yes please flee to Canada!

oldsaw-addict

QuoteDozendan:  what do you mean my "woods mods" ?     bob
By woods mods Dan means that the saw is modified, but not to the extent that it is a hotsaw, hotsaws are usually modified and have much more power than one could really use in the woods, the woods mods though increase the saws HP torque, life span, probably durability and make it sound really cool too, but the saw would look like a stock saw from the exterior, but internally its not stock at all. Hot saws on the other hand have a tuned pipe instead of a muffler and they have other charicteristics that would make them unsuitable for woods use.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Thank You Sponsors!