iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My small time operation

Started by CX3, January 21, 2011, 08:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CX3

Heres some pics of what we do.  Lets start with the hat that I am proud to wear to work everyday. 

This is a biggun walnut.  Getting ready to lay it down.

This is a load of oak we cut.  This is an average of what I like to get done in a day.  About 5500 feet of good oak. 

Here is a nice pile of good oak.  These were some nice logs.  Wish I had lots of these to cut.

Heres the little 440 skidding some biggun walnuts to the landing. 

And heres the 440 again snortin its way up the bluff.  That is one steep sucker.  At the bottom is the James River.  Theres some good timber down there but its hard to get out. 

Thanks for looking. 
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Magicman

I enjoyed seeing a peek at your operation.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mark K

Those are some logs I would be proud to cut! Thats gotta make that 440 snort. Looks like you have 16.9-30 rubber. Gives it a little more clearance. Nice looking job.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Ohio_Bill

Thanks for shareing  . Great Looking  Operation  . Are there 2 on the Crew ?   
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

CX3

Mark, nice eye.  16.9x30 is right.  I like the clearance, but best of all is the cost of new rubber.  I can find a decent tire at any tire shop or craigslist for 75 bucks. 

Ohio bill, yes there are two of us.  Me and a partner.  I sometimes hire a couple guys to cut firewood and load it on dump trailers.  And the occasional friend who needs some extra money.  But for the most part they just get in the way for a week >:(

You Better Believe It!

chucker

independant loggers ! the back bone of are industry... good looking op...
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Kevin

treefarmer87

good job,good pics. i have a similar operation :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Meadows Miller

Gday

Clancy you have some nice gear and are doing some great work thee Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)  And remember the good logs are usually the hardest to get but well worth it Mate  ;) :D ;D  8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Autocar

Nice real nice ! Nothing like a great looking load of logs  ;D.
Bill

thecfarm

That shiny muffler looks good too.Nice pictures.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

northwoods1

I love seeing these pics :)

it is nice to see what others are and have been doing.

Your operation looks like you have worked all the kinks out of the whole logging process.

I have worked some bluffs like that , I can remember lowering one cable skidder down with another.. so you could get 300+' of total reach. That was really working for your paycheck. Even harder than normal :)

mad murdock

There 's wood in them thar hills!  Nice pics, and nice operation there!  Thanks for sharing.  I hope you have a prosperous and safe year in '11. 8) 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

barbender

Are those ag tires, if you can find them for $75 CX3? I've never seen a forestry tire go that cheap around here no matter how well used ::)
Too many irons in the fire

mad murdock

Barbender, I know as far as my '64 Tree Farmer (Garrett) goes, it was designed around ag tires, as at the time they were available, priced right, and did the job.  From my point of view, "forestry special" like  firestone's for ex.  are a bit tougher, especially on the side wall area, but man are they a bunch more money!  If a guy is not in tough ground, or exercises a bit of care when going about in the woods, the regualr tractor tires do ok.  At least that has been my experience having run machines with purpose built tires, and my machine now with the ag tires.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

CX3

Quote from: thecfarm on January 22, 2011, 07:36:40 AM
That shiny muffler looks good too.Nice pictures.

Ya for 70 bucks at tractor supply, you can have one too :D

Barbender, we run just regular old tractor tires on the front, and industrial tires from a road grader or similar on back.    You just have to be careful around sharp rocks, and watch for spurs when building roads.
You Better Believe It!

Jasperfield

barbender

I'm definately all for using ag tires if they work out, I've just never tried them. I managed to run a stick through the sidewall of one of my forestry tires, so maybe they wouldn't work out :D Actually, if I ran ag tires I'd just be more careful and I'm sure they would work fine. It would be hard for me to spring for $5000 worth of forestry tires for my skidder I paid $5000 for in the first place :) I like your operation, you cut some nice looking wood.

Trailer Builder

Hey thats a cool looking load on the truck nice one

CX3

Im not saying forestry tires are not better by any means.  I am like you though, 5K worth of rubber is hard to swallow.  I can have these tires broke down, patched with a good boot, and put back on, all at the job site for $120.  I can do that a lot of times before a 1200 dollar forestry tire is paid for ;D
You Better Believe It!

ridge logger

thats a good looking truck in that picture, is that yours or does the mill come and pick up your loggs.

CX3

Ridgelogger, that is not my truck. That is a friend of mines truck.  He does some hauling for me from time to time. 

I noticed you are from ozark. That just so happens to be where I live too. 
You Better Believe It!

ridge logger

who do you sell your oak logs to.

CX3

The guy with the biggest check book ;D

Burke Timber in Clever, or D. Kelly in Oldfield.  There are lots of mills competing for tie logs right now.  A guy can find some good prices if you will look.
You Better Believe It!

barbender

Quote from: CX3 on January 25, 2011, 04:24:29 PM
Im not saying forestry tires are not better by any means.  I am like you though, 5K worth of rubber is hard to swallow.  I can have these tires broke down, patched with a good boot, and put back on, all at the job site for $120.  I can do that a lot of times before a 1200 dollar forestry tire is paid for ;D
Amen ;)

barbender

I was told a forestry tube is $250, just the tube, not including labor for installing it. I had to give up knocking 2-3" limbs off of the pine I was cutting by running them over, it was getting too expensive ::)

Ed_K

I just paid 125 for a natural rubber casing,don't buy ag radial,they won't hold up.I had to replace the right front, the old tire had 3 canvas's showing.The new used is at 10%,paid 200 for it.I can't afford 1700 right now.I run ag tires on the 4x4 tractor but can't justify them on the skidder,there's just to much on the ground you don't see.
CX3 nice logs.I need a load of $ logs to get caught up  ;) .Seems we all need a catch up,I really thought things would pick up by the 4 qt 2010.Maybe 2011 :( .
Ed K

Bobus2003

Quote from: barbender on January 27, 2011, 11:24:52 AM
I was told a forestry tube is $250, just the tube, not including labor for installing it. I had to give up knocking 2-3" limbs off of the pine I was cutting by running them over, it was getting too expensive ::)

Last tube i got for my skidder was 2 years ago, and it was $100.. I don't pay to have the tires fixed i do it all myself.. not too bad to do, use the skid steer to break the bead, and a spud bar and a 8lb hammer gets the tire off the rim

CX3

Thanks Ed_K.  Keep hackin it will come around. Its slow for everyone not just us timber dwellers
You Better Believe It!

Thank You Sponsors!