iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

building my first lumber kiln

Started by dean herring, January 01, 2015, 06:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dean herring

I am requesting advice  on building my first kiln.  Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Glenn1

What type of kiln are you looking to make? Possibly a solar kiln or a dehumification kiln?  A good source is to type in what you are looking for in the search bar above.  Lots of great information to get a start.

Glenn
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

dean herring

I am looking for advice on building my  first lumber kiln

dean herring

Look into a dh kiln to dry about 1000 bf.
Thanks for your reply glenn

WDH

The Nyle L53 will dry up to 1000 BF. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bigD

dean herring

I am trying to find detailed blueprints for a kiln chamber to dry approx. 1000bf and maybe some 16 foot 4 by 6  syp beams.also what dependable heat source can be used. I want to build a good one but also watch my cost. Dont mind spending the to do it right . Thank you

beenthere

dean
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

No need to start another new thread, as you create multiple discussions to keep track of within each one.
Maybe the moderators will combine them into one for you.

Good luck with the kiln build.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

The chamber plans for the L53 are on the Nyle website. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dean herring

Pineywood, just joined the forum and see you live in marion. That is not far from dubach.  I like the forks on your tractor, do they work good.thanks. dean. 3d@ lumber

Glenn1

Dean,

I am in the process of building my Nyle L53 kiln which will dry 1000 bf of hardwood.  The advantage of a dehumidifying kiln is that you are not reliant on the sun.  You can dry wood 24/7 year round.  If you go to the Nyle site (as WDH mentioned), they offer complete plans using their DH components.  I am using 2 x 6" studs for the walls on a poured slab that has been insulated.  Then I had a local company make trusses although you could build them your self.  The ceiling and walls will be insulated to at least R 30 using both batting and 2" blue insulatulatioin board.  Let me know if you have questions after looking at the Nyle info below:
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

pineywoods

Hi dean, welcome to the forestry forum. Do you have a mill, or obtaining timbers from another source ? A while back there was a guy from dubach on here looking for a circle saw mill to rebuild. I pointed him to one I know about, but never heard any more. I'm guessing he discovered rebuilding an old mill can get expensive. Marion is over-run with band mills. I know of 5 woodmizers and 3 norwoods with a Marion address. Everything from small manual mills that don't run till the owner needs a board or 2 to full-blown commercial operation with hired help.

Kilns..There are 3 of the pineywoods dh solar kilns locally. Planmans is the most recent and by far the nicest. Mine is somewhat run-down but still usable, LeroyC's is currently missing it's roof due to a storm.
Drying 4 inch thick timbers gonna be slow, or expensive, or both. Cracks and splits will be a real problem, especially in hardwood. Solar works pretty well here, it's cheap to build and operate, very forgiving, but slow. Commercial type kilns are expensive to build and operate, quite finicky to operate, but quick.

OH, to answer your question about the forks, they are pallet forks off a skidsteer. MY tractor already had a front end loader with a bucket. A little scrap iron and the use of an old lincoln welder. I would hate to run a sawmill without it..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

CaseyK

Hi Dean, welcome to the forestry forumn, if you are into cutting and building a kiln then you have found the right web site. I am from Farmerville and live about 7 miles east of town. Im building my first mill now and hope to have it cutting within 2-3 more weeks and am also planning on building a solar kiln with a dehumidifier like Piney woods and Planmans but incorporate it as the south side of a to be built sawmill shop.

Keep us posted on your build and we all love pictures, the more the better.
Home built automated twin blade

Glenn1

Dean,

Attached is the information on the larger L200 which is capable of handling 16 footers.
Glenn

Ga_Boy

A 20 foot insulated shipping container makes an excellent kiln chamber.   The doors seal is very good and the containers are not that hard to modify to make them in to a proper chamber.

The down side is, you have to end load the chamber, but this is easly addressed with a kiln cart and track system. 

I suspect you can buy a container cheaper than you can stick build a chamber.  The insulated containers are lined with Stainless Steel, much better for a kiln chamber.

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

dean herring

Ga-Boy. Do you have one built  like this. If you do could send some pictures.

Ga_Boy

I did build my kiln using a container.  There are pictures in my photo gallery showing the fans, controls and how I loaded using a kiln cart and track system.

If you have any specific questions let us know.
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

FarmingSawyer

Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

Thank You Sponsors!