iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log ID

Started by Sparty, September 12, 2020, 03:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparty

It has been a long time since I posted here regularly.  I'm trying to help a friend who told me he picked up a log because he was told it was English walnut.  It was in a black walnut grove, but appears to be maple?  The sap is very light, thick, and has 36 growth rings.  Quartersawn fleck is small like maple.  Please let me know what you think:

½

Sparty

Upon further review, maybe pignut hickory?

WDH

Yes Sir.  Hickory.  The wood is ring porous, like hickory.  Maple is diffuse porous, so it cannot be maple.  It certainly is hickory.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sparty

Ron Scott

~Ron

Carabnr

I love hickory for the inner bark and the amazing strength and flexibility of the wood. I understand the ring porousness, and can see the sort of water ripple or chain link like patterns in the bark pattern. Winter tree ID is challenging for me still. Any other good tips... What makes it look like Pignut, smoother bark?

WDH

Yes, the smoother bark and the small interlaced ridges.  Mockernut will typically have larger, coarser ridges.  It could be bitternut with that smoother interlaced bark, but pignut is more common, so that is more likely what you have.  No other way to tell without twigs, leaves, buds, or nuts. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!