iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SQUARE BLOSSOM

Started by bitternut, June 30, 2006, 12:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitternut

Anyone recognize this square shaped blossom?

Tom

I was going to guess Persimmon.  The "flower" looks like sepals where the flower has already dropped off.  The base of the leaves doesn't seem to be complete, so It's difficult to say.  Is this a tree, a shrub or a small plant?   Is it growing in a swamp or highland.  Is it natural to your area?

bitternut

Gee Tom you got it already. Its a young tree in my yard. I have half a dozen of them and they are just starting to blossom. They had a few fruit last year and I left them to freeze but something ate them before I could get them. Here is another blossom that has not opened yet. Only square flowers I have ever seen.

Tom

They won't be there long, but, they sure are pretty flowers.  Be sure to take a picture of them when they open. 

I have a couple of persimmon trees in the woods. (wife wouldn't allow them in the yard).  If I catch them almost ripe, I take them and store them in the refrigerator.

The new Jap persimmons aren't as stringent as the little wild ones I was familiar with as a kid.   I've been able to eat the big Japanese persimmons when they were still rather firm.

I like the real ripe ones though.  They are nature's jelly/preserves.  You can split one open and spread the insides right onto a piece of toast in the morning.  No cooking, no mess, no fuss.  Then eat what's left for dessert.  I like dessert for breakfast.  :D

Here's from the little get together here at the house this past winter.

Tom picks the last persimmon from his tree - 2006

This persimmon sure is good! Yall' want a taste?

Corley5 - I'll try some ........ Hmmmmm ....... I don't believe I've ever tasted anything quite like that.

Jeff B - Let me taste of this thing. Look at DanG in the background. He was a saying that he hoped it was a green persimmon.

It's got a good taste, but it sure is messy and mushy.

SwampDonkey

Give a bunch of 'old' kids something to mess with..... :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!