Sponsors:

chopping logs needed!

Started by Alissa, December 27, 2014, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alissa

Hi everyone!! I know there are members all over the world. So I feel pretty confident that this is the right place to look.......
We have an upcoming show in Louisville KY at the end of February. I will be driving there from Phoenix AZ, and will need to purchase, pick up, cut...... whatever..... chopping and sawing logs for our show. It's a short show, so probably just 20 logs or so.
Here's the tricky part (for some people)..... The logs we use need to be green (fresh) with bark still on. Soft wood, like white pine, poplar, aspen or cotton wood. And knot free. They need to be 24 inches long (I will gladly cut them to size when I pick them up) and 8 to 11 inches in diameter.
Does anyone live between AZ and KY who can hook us up???
Thank you!!

sawthemlogs

Hi Alissa
I dont believe I would have anything that would help .but my neighbor does a lot of sawing and logging.We are located about 35 miles south of Louisville ,ky...I can ask them on Monday or can give you ther phone number....
R.D.

chain

Alissa,

What is your route to Louisville? And, could you use black willow also? Eastern Red Cedar?

beenthere

chain
I suspect both would not be on her list. The black willow maybe, but too many knots in the ERC for chopping blocks.

If I were on the route, I've some nice big tooth aspen standing, that could come down for a good cause.
Maybe one of the next trips.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jmouton

alissa ,  i know this doesnt help  but  we have tons of cottonwood  but we are around the ann arbor , mi area ,   so when you come around these parts  we will give you a bunch  of fresh  cottonwood  ,  we dont use it much except for   bonfires  , 

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

sandhills

Alissa, I could help out with the cottonwood also but I'd imagine I'm bit out of your way, and it'd be a long haul to Kentucky from here, sounds like sawthemlogs has your best bet.  If it does work or your ever anywhere near here I'd be happy to help out.

Alissa

Thank you for all the replies!
I don't know anything about black willow, and cedar won't do it. But thank you.
Sawthemlogs, I would really appreciate it if you don't mind checking with your neighbor. Thanks!

chain

Quote from: Alissa on December 29, 2014, 12:11:20 PM
Thank you for all the replies!
I don't know anything about black willow, and cedar won't do it. But thank you.
Sawthemlogs, I would really appreciate it if you don't mind checking with your neighbor. Thanks!

You are most welcome, have a safe trip!

WH_Conley

Getting the logs is not an issue. The problem is I am about 4 hours the other side of Louisville from the way you will be traveling.
Bill

LeeB

What about sycamore? I wouldn't think it would be much different than cottonwood and maybe a little easier to find on your route.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

bigD

I'm on your way.  I have Short leaf pine if that would work.

Alissa

I will do some research and find out if we can chop any of those! Thank you!

Alissa

Hi everyone,
Sorry my my delayed responses. I really appreciate all the help! I was traveling and had limited Internet. Things will be back to normal now.
I have checked around and found out that short leaf pine will not work. Sycamore will, but it's harder than we would like...   I just found out today that tulip poplar is the Kentucky state tree...! Any chance anyone has any of that??

WH_Conley

Have plenty of it. Just 4 hours out of your way. If nobody closer chimes in just let me know.
Bill

Autocar

I believe the is a sawmill in Salem Indiana and there about 30 some miles north of Louisville and that is good poplar county.
Bill

Warped

Out of curiosity, is this a different type of show than, say, Boonville? They bring logs in there by the truckloads and I would've guessed you'd have connections to get what you need on site....don't know where you do get them for Boonville, but if in a pinch next year, let me know. I'd have what you need. Good luck in L-ville.
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

Alissa

Warped,
I am going to KY to do an entertainment show. Booneville is a competition, where all the wood is brought in for us competitors to chop and saw. When I am not competiting I travel around and get hired to entertain. It is set up like a small competition, but I get paid to bring everything (equipment, girls, wood...)
When I am living in Maine I can cut my own logs in my yard, but this time I will be traveling from AZ.

Alissa

WH_Conley,
Awesome!! Let's talk more. My email is alissaharper@ymail.com.
Thank you!

WH_Conley

Bill

Thank You Sponsors!