iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Braden winch

Started by bandmiller2, December 24, 2010, 06:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

A friend gave me a 30T mechanical Braden winch,made a three point hitch skid mount,and run it from a tractor PTO.Welded a ball hitch on the back of the winch for a single axle low,tilt bed, steel  trailer with beaver tail.Works a trick,yard and pulls the log on the trailer.Sorry no pics. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

bandmiller2

Yea no pictures it didn't happen,guess I was dreaming.Frank C.

buildthisfixthat

dear santa please bring frank a camera
shop built bandsaw mill

Banjo picker

I worked on mine a little bit today...I done a little prep work and Bobby did some wielding ...it looks good...Mine is the same brand...Made in Broken Arrow Okl....I am going to put a 2" reciever on the back of it so that when I want to I can pull the logging arch behind, and use the winch to pull the log up on the arch...the hand winch is toooo much work...The arch will keep the log out of the dirt and gravel....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

bandmiller2

Your going to like that rig Tim,a good winch allows you to harvest timber from swamps and rough areas where you can't take your tractor.Just made a snatch block so I can pull around corners. Frank C.

Larry

My motto is never pass on a good winch when there really really cheap.  I've picked up a couple in the last month.

Decided this little Ramsey 8K might be just the ticket for loading logs on my trailer.  Think I might be able to power it with a small clutched gas engine.  Put in a tranny...maybe a tiller tranny to get reverse.  Depends on what I can hustle up.

As found.  It came with some shafting which might be for the pto.  I think the bumper might be for an IH Scout.  If you know clue me in.

The winch is quite old and I don't think it has ever been used.  Unfortunately, it did spend a lot of years outside unprotected.  The grease was dried up and acted like glue to freeze it up.  Had to soak the drum shaft and free wheel shaft in lacquer thinner to free them.  Drained the oil out of the gear case and got maybe a tablespoon of thick chocolate syrup.  I hope a little paint and lubricant will make it act like a brand new winch.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

bandmiller2

A very good way to power winches is with hydraulic motors,very controlable and easy if you have hydraulics.Many times burned out electrics can be replaced with hyd.A winch mounted on the front of your woods trailer and lines to tractor hydraulics.Frank C.

coldnorth

Larry
I have that exact Ramsey on my trailer to load logs.
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/13643/trailerwinch.jpg

5Hp honda engine,
Small lawn tractor transmission, 3 forward, 1 reverse
We have loaded more logs than I want to think about. Works super!!

I also had one of the Braden winches, but no time to put it to use.  I believe Ironwood ended up with it.

Good luck
If you want something done correctly, you have to do it yourself.

pineywoods

Larry, you don't want to buy parts for that ramsey. I had one just like it on my kubota tracter, driven with a hydraulic motor. Good winch, worked fine until I backed the tractor up to a stump and tied on to a good sized red oak tree that was hung up. Busted the case and stripped the main bull gear. $425 for a new gear, and no I didn't.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Larry

Coldnorth, your picture is exactly what I'm planing.  Got a 6-1/2 HP Honda clone for power but having trouble finding a transmission.  Thanks for posting the picture as it gives me inspiration that somebody else has done it. :)

Piney, just planing to roll up logs on a trailer with the winch, so I don't think there is much chance of overload.  Your right about the price on winch parts...outa sight.  I do have a 30k pound Garwood on the tractor for the heavy stuff.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

bandmiller2

If using a small engine on a winch you can mount the engine on a base that rocks with a lever, pull to tighten a "V" belt, to back off have a rubber or fiber wheel and push to change direction so you can dissengage the freewheel pawl.Frank C.

Larry

That would work.  The only thing I can think to use for the friction wheels would be two pulleys running tight belts.

bandmiller2

Larry,if you used a two groove pulley on the engine,one for the belt and one for a fiber or rubber rimed disc mounted on the winch shaft.Have a "V" on the friction wheel that will fit in the pulley groove.Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!