iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you turn on your dust collector?

Started by Brad_bb, January 25, 2014, 09:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I recently realized some wasted motion I have to do in my shop.  Before I go to use my table saw, or whatever piece of equipment that has the dust collector attached, I first have to go over to the dust collector and turn it on.  Not only that, but the switch is located about 10 inches off the ground so I have to bend/lean over a lot to turn it on and off. 

I want to be able to just turn on the machine I'm using and have the dust collector come on.  Is anyone else set up to do it like this?

Earlier this year I bought FastCap's RCV1 for my shopvac.  It relocates the shopvac on switch to the end of the hose, where you usually need it.  A similar thing should be possible for my dust collector.  Is there such a system or something equally good already?  If not, Fastcap has multiple switches that run on the same frequency you can buy (they also have 3 or 4 other frequencies you can buy so that you don't have a switch turning on something it shouldn't).
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Philbert

Forgot the brand, but I bought a remote switch many years ago from a woodworking store. 

Plug the module in the wall; plug the dust collector into the module; carry a remote the size of a Snickers bar. I keep the remote on a lanyard to hang it when not in use.

Convenient. Pretty affordable. Been very reliable.

Philbert

davch00

A couple of years ago I tried a remote switch for Christmas lights that I got from Lowes. It worked good for a while and then got to where it would just turn off at anytime. So I'm back to walking over and flipping the switch on the collector.

I don't think it had anything to do with running a dust collector on it (although I'm sure it didn't help) because the one we had our tree was plugged into started doing the same thing.

hardtailjohn

I just went to Home Depot the other day and for about $15, got a wireless remote switch that just plugs in. Works great! I have a nail in the wall right next to my radial arm saw that it hangs on, or if I'm bouncing all over, I can throw the remote in my pocket. Cheap and simple.
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Philbert

OK, mine is the 'Long Ranger III' And was made specifically for woodworking dust collection systems.

The box itself is fairly substantial (5-1/2 X 2-12 X 3 inches). Remote is 5-1/2 X 1-1/4 X 3/4 inches. As I recall there were separate models for 110V dust collectors and 220V dust collectors

EDIT: I looked on-line and this item appears to still be available: around $60 for 110V model; around $80 for 220V model.

I also bought a less expensive model from Sears where you plug a hand-held power tool and a shop vac into the same box.
It activates the shop vac when the tool is turned on, and leaves it on for 10 seconds after the tool is turned off, but this is only for lower amperage tools that can run on the same circuit as the shop vac.

I am sure that similar devices are still available from woodworking catalogs.

Philbert

jueston

i looked at the christmas light remote switches most of them aren't meant for very much power, and i think you would fry to relay eventually running it at a higher amperage then its meant for.

i have thought about hardwiring 4 switches to control my future dust collector, that way there is one on all 4 walls so i never have to walk that far, but maybe buying a wireless remote made for the dust collector is a simpler solution.

terrifictimbersllc

I've had 2 remotes, one a long ranger, both 220v, both failed after a couple years or so.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Philbert

Quote from: jueston on January 26, 2014, 01:33:35 PMi have thought about hardwiring 4 switches to control my future dust collector, that way there is one on all 4 walls so i never have to walk that far . . .

Or get 4, really long pieces of string . . . .

There is so much home automation stuff available these days: I am sure that there are other types of remote switch controls available from electronics and electrical supply houses and catalogs.  You could turn on your dust collector with a garage door opener or your iPhone.  Just depends on how much you want to do yourself, or how much you want to buy ready made/purpose made.

Philbert

Andy White

I am using the Long Ranger 220V for my Delta collector. Make sure the amp rating on the remote is capable of handling the collector. Mine has been working perfectly for two years now. My problem is the remote is always where I am not!! Need to clip it on. Now if I would spring for remote operated blast gates, my shop could stay a lot cleaner.    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

21incher

I use a Christmas light remote to actuate the coil of a heavy duty 30 amp 2 pole contactor with a 120 vac coil I mounted in my subpanel. It has worked great for my 2 hp 220 volt dust collector for 6 years. I have seen people put low voltage switches on their blast gates and use a 12 vdc coil contactor with a plug in transformer to turn on the dust collector when the blast gate is opened for the tool they plan on using. It all depends if your collector uses a magnetic switch as I have never a low cost solution for one. I like to start my collector before the tool because of the startup current of the dust collector and let it run for a while after shutting down the machine so it clears the lines completely so I would recommend any fully auto solution you find should have time delay settings to allow you to fine tune it for your application.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

gfadvm

I use the Shop Fox remote control from Grizzly. It comes with 2 remote controllers which is nice.

MattJ

I have the remote system from woodcraft that the dust collector plugs into and then you carry a small remote with you, about the size of keyless entry for your car, perhaps 2" long.  I clip it on my belt loop.  It works well, the clip on remote died (not batteries, the unit itself) after 7 years but I bought a new one for $24 from woodcraft.  The system with one remote is somewhere around $70, its their woodriver model.

MattJ

One other point from a safety perspective.  From the few weeks I didn't have it working I noticed there were a lot more times I didn't walk over to turn it on.  I would think that "I just need to trim a little piece so I don't need to walk all the way over and turn it on."  My nose/lungs and shop mess proved otherwise.  The remote makes it so much easier to pop it on and off as needed. 

Larry

I gave a lot of thought to this when I put in my DC system.  There is all manner of relays, and micro switches on the gates along with remote control if you do a google.

I'm sort of absent minded and would soon loose a remote, so I crossed that one off.  Most of the other systems seemed overly complicated not to mention expensive.  I ended up suspending the switch from the ceiling close to the center of action.  Its a little over 7' from floor level making it a easy reach for me to operate.

Another item to consider is most single phase motors have a maximum number of on/off cycles in a hour due to heat.  I've never paid it much attention but a DC motor is usually ran with a heavy load making damage quite possible.  A lot of times I'll just close the gate and let it run.  Since its outside, not a lot of noise if its not sucking air.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Lud

I used a remote, pretty sure from Woodcraft,  for a 8-10 years to fire up vacuum in bottom of barn where my shop is.  Compressor over in garage would run extra , particularly if leaky or forgot to turn off......waste of energy. 

Got a new remote for the vacuum (keyfob type) and put the older model on the compressor with that big remote left near the entry light switchs.  When I hit the On it drops out the outside vapor bulb for a bit due to the draw...so I know it worked!  Oh Yeah ,put flourescent safety tape on the keyfob and keep it in a dish on top the toolchest.  Works good. ;)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

ron barnes

I purchased the 220 volt Long Ranger probably 10 years ago.  I have a Grizzly 2 HP bag type DC and use it for the sliding compound miter saw, Dewalt planer, Powermatic 16/32 sander, router table and my Grizzly table saw.  It worked flawlessly until 2 years ago.  I have started moving equipment from SC to GA and have not installed the DC yet.  I would buy another.  I too believe that there should be more new and better automation available out there these days.

Brad_bb

The Rockler and Woodriver remote control dust collector switch with the small key fob look very similar which makes me think they might be made by the same manufacturer.  On the Rockler site, it seems to have received some poor reviews with premature failures(within a year or so). 

I also notice that both sell Ivac, which is a little different system.  Instead of a hand held remove, each piece of equipment gets plugged into a switch so that when you turn the machine on, it tells the separate plug in switch on the dust collector to turn on.  It's a more expensive system, but if it has a good track record of quality, I'd go for it.  Unfortunately there are no reviews to give me an idea.  I'll have to check amazon and see if there are any reviews. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

jueston

http://www.amazon.com/PSI-LRMSET110-Ranger-Multigate-Switch/dp/B0006FKJE6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1390934980&sr=8-5&keywords=dust+collector+switch

this is an interesting option to me, it turns on when you open a blast gate and turns it off when you close it, the additional gates are $20 each and you could very easily make additional switches out of any low voltage switch.

isawlogs

Me, I have no remote, I walk over and filp the switch. Works for me .  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Corley5

Quote from: isawlogs on January 28, 2014, 02:00:34 PM
Me, I have no remote, I walk over and filp the switch. Works for me .  :)

So you are the remote  :) ;)  I was the TV remote when I was a kid before there were remotes  :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

isawlogs

:D So was I, I was also thin back then.... ::)   :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WranglerSS

I bought a Belkin Wemo switch and turn my DC on using my Amazon Echo Dot with voice commands.
Kubota L3240
Kubota RTV 900
Woodmizer LT28
Woodmaxx 8h Chipper/Shredder

Kbeitz

All you need is a NEMA contractor and a couple low
voltage switches.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

caveman

Lone Ranger low voltage blast gates and controller.  It works as it should and was simple to install.
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!