iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building an exterior door with frame

Started by sbishop, June 14, 2009, 06:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbishop

i've got to build 2 exterior doors with frame for my cabin, i've got some 2x ash that i'd like to use, not sure if i have enough for 2 doors. So i will try and make the first one out of 2x spruce for the rear.

the door measurements will be 36" X 81", what size should the inside of the door frame be? should i leave 1/4" space on the sides and maybe on top...about 1/2" at the bottom?

Now for the door, i plan on using 1.5" x 4" spruce, is glueing everything together enough? does it really have to be t&g? or biscuits?

Thanks for any suggestions as this will be my first "woodworking" project!

Sbishop

Texas Ranger

the door measurements will be 36" X 81", what size should the inside of the door frame be? should i leave 1/4" space on the sides and maybe on top...about 1/2" at the bottom?

Now for the door, i plan on using 1.5" x 4" spruce, is glueing everything together enough? does it really have to be t&g? or biscuits?

sounds good, leave enough room at the bottom to install weather stripping.

T&G glued up is the most stable and air tight.  X or Z brace would be helpful as well.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sbishop

yes, i forgot to mention that i plan on doing a z brace.

But i don't have access to t&g machine.

Should both sides of bottom of the frame be cut on an angle?

Fla._Deadheader

QuoteBut i don't have access to t&g machine.

You can cut a groove down the center of the door boards with a Router or Table saw, and glue in a spline.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

sbishop

What can i use for a spline? what size should the spline be?

that's a great idea!

Sbishop

Texas Ranger

Spline from the same species of wood so there is no difference in any expansion/contraction over the years, cut it on the table saw, snug fit.  1/4 inch should do it.

Not a real fan of angle cut frame, leave enough space to not fool with it.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sbishop

Texas ranger, what i mean about angle cut is just the bottom of the frame so water will run away from the door, not the entire frame design.

Not sure if i'm explaining it correctly, the frame itself will be attach with an over lap joint.

Thanks
Sbishop

Sprucegum

That bottom piece of the door frame is called the threshold.

When the door is closed - the threshold is level from the outside edge of the door inward and slopes down from that point outwards. Make sense?

sbishop

Would using biscuits instead of a spline be the same? or a spline is that much better?

Sorry for the all the questions but like is said this is my first "woodworking" project!

Fla._Deadheader

Spline would work similar to T&G. IF there is any surface not exactly perfectly touching, the glue around the spline will keep out air movement, and whistling. It IS a strong joint.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Handy Andy

If I were making a door for a house, would make the frame like the manufactured ones. They cut a 1/2" deep cut by whatever the thickness of the door is so the doorstop is built into the jamb.  The ones with weatherstrip are a little more to allow for the weatherstrip.  You can use your tablesaw to cut that out, and leave the blade up a little extra on the wider cut to have a groove for the weatherstrip to attach to.  They have a little flange that pokes into the groove.  Then for the sill, I'd prefer to go buy one of the metal ones that the lumberyards use so you don't have to cut the floor of the house out to let the sill fit down even.  Used to make them, but been so long I forgot the angle.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

sbishop

I ripped into my ash slabs lastnight, i thought i would have more but it looks like i just have enough for one door but i'll have to put a window in it...which is not a bad thing!

Any suggestions on how to hold the glass in it?

Thanks
Sbishop

Mbunten

sbishop,

depending on how you construct the door, the glass can be placed in a rabbet cut to accept it, and held in with wooden stops attached to the inside of the rabbet.  Make sure you bed the glass in a good quality silicone to prevent leaks and the glass rattling when you close the door.

Matt
Carpenter, furniture and cabinet making. Maple sugaring, Christmas trees, seasonal firefighter and prescribed fire crew member, USDA Forest Service, NH-WMF

1970 JD350 with forestry package, JD 2038R with grapple and Igland 3501 winch. Stihl and Husky saws

sbishop

The door is built, i'll take some pics tonight. heading to the glass store this afternoon to pick up a piece of glass.

Any suggestion on what i should put on for a finish?

Hopefully tonight i'll have the frame of the door complete!

Sbishop

Thank You Sponsors!