iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building our new home -- pre-timber frame.

Started by danreed76, November 15, 2015, 04:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danreed76

It's been a while since I spent any time on the forum (seeing lots of new topics I need to go back and catch up on, see what learnin' I've missed!).  We started our adventure way back when with this thread:https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,63311.0.html.  Then, last year we hosted a timber framing workshop with Jim Rogers, and planned to spend the winter cutting timbers for a spring raising.  In the meantime, we decided that we would contract out some of the work building the garage and mudroom which were to be stick framed.  We decided to build the garage with living space upstairs, so that we could sell our current home and live in the garage/apartment.  I'll spare you the drama which ensued, but while we didn't get much work done on the timberframe, we did get the garage built, mostly finished, and have sold our previous home and moved in.  Now this winter will be focused on the timber frame, followed by building the main house which we've been dreaming and planning for the past several years.

The story that goes with the construction of the garage is long, and I don't have time to type it all up right now, but below is a bit of a pictorial timeline of our build.  In order to get a CO, we needed 100 more square feet than the planned finished space would provide, so we decided to use the garage itself for a family room for the time being.  To accomplish that, we ended up fully insulating the garage, including R-19 insulated garage doors (slightly more investment than closing off the garage door openings then removing them later to install garage doors, but a lot less work), as well as adding a heating/air conditioning zone for the garage.  It was a bit more expense, but once the rest of the house is built, I doubt that I'll regret having a fully insulated garage with heat and air conditioning.  I wonder if I'll be allowed to bring the occasional timber inside to work on in the living room ???

What follows isn't timber framing, but it's part of our timber framing adventure.

upstairs interior framing.  I was originally going to go with vaulted ceilings but opted to leave an attic space so I could put a ducted air handler in the living area.

The timberframe will stand on the deck to the left, which we built last year.

jackshaft door openers to keep the "living room" ceiling looking nice.

grinding the garage floor to prep for finish

flake on top of epoxy coat (time sensitive operation... didn't get too many "in between" pics when doing the garage floor)

acid stained floors in the mud room/laundry area.  The door ahead will lead into the kitchen of the main house, but I had to put a wall there for now.  Had I installed a door before getting the CO, I would have to put handrails all the way around the first floor deck for the house.

purging the A/C system.  I opted for a multi-zone mini-split heat pump.  A bit more complex of an install, but very efficient. 

I'll get some more pictures up as we "finish up" as well as our progress on the timberframe.

-Dan
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

jimdad07

Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

submarinesailor

danreed76 - "In order to get a CO".

What's a "CO"?  Is it the same thing as an occupancy permit?  Can't move in or use the space until you have one - after all the inspections.

Bruce

danreed76

Quote from: submarinesailor on November 16, 2015, 07:31:19 PM

What's a "CO"?  Is it the same thing as an occupancy permit?  Can't move in or use the space until you have one - after all the inspections.

Bruce,

That's exactly it, "Certificate of Occupancy".  It means you've passed all your inspections and all the other county requirements (planning and zoning, engineering, etc).

Dan
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

submarinesailor

Got it.  Thank you.......Different counties/states, different wordings.

Bruce

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fishfighter

Looks like a good start.

Your AC system, what kind is it? I kind of been looking at zone systems for my camp build instead of installing duct work system.

danreed76

Quote from: fishfighter on November 17, 2015, 03:49:10 PM
Your AC system, what kind is it?

The A/C is an LG "Multi-F" system.  it has several zones that run off of one outdoor unit.  Works very well and the system is very quiet.  It's also variable speed/variable refrigerant flow, so it adjusts its capacity based on demand.

Thank You Sponsors!