iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forestry Expo, Bangor, ME

Started by mjeselskis, May 15, 2011, 12:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjeselskis

Anyone else go to the forestry expo yesterday? I was mainly looking at the different options for small bandsaw mills, but this caught my attention. I'd certainly like to have one, but at 50k, it's not going to happen. I can buy a small dozer, utility tractor, and skidder used for that price. It is a cool rig though.

2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

Woodhauler

Alot of stuff caught my eye, but not my wallet! ;D
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Maine372

i had to surrender my wallet to my wife before going it. then she had to surrender hers to me before we went to the bangor mall afterwords.

the show seemed scaled back to me from years past. perhaps a sign of the economy. less sales = less money to spend sending reps to trade shows.

the guys with the wood gasification boilers had my attention, mostly becuase im looking to upgrade my heating system.

isawlogs

Must be nice to have a wallet to surrender  :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

jab73180

Quote from: mjeselskis on May 15, 2011, 12:54:24 PM
Anyone else go to the forestry expo yesterday? I was mainly looking at the different options for small bandsaw mills, but this caught my attention. I'd certainly like to have one, but at 50k, it's not going to happen. I can buy a small dozer, utility tractor, and skidder used for that price. It is a cool rig though.

did the thomas mills peak your interest?  dad and I just bought the 2411.  its small but powerful.  we have limited time with it but it is very stout.

bill m

Yes, I did spend some money there but even half of what I was prepared to. I was disappointed to see that Labonville was not selling anything. Also no Red Wing truck, BLUE Ox trailers or HALLS safety.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

mjeselskis

Quote from: jab73180 on May 15, 2011, 06:19:24 PM

did the thomas mills peak your interest?  dad and I just bought the 2411.  its small but powerful.  we have limited time with it but it is very stout.

The thomas mills seem well built and affordable. The woodmizer LT15 would be my ultimate pick, but it's pricey. WM is definitely one step ahead of the rest. Simply due to price,  I'm leaning toward building one this winter using the same design as the thomas. I think I'll have around $1500 in materials for a 18hp mill with a 30" throat.

Woodhauler

Quote from: bill m on May 15, 2011, 06:44:13 PM
Yes, I did spend some money there but even half of what I was prepared to. I was disappointed to see that Labonville was not selling anything. Also no Red Wing truck, BLUE Ox trailers or HALLS safety.
Labonville was there selling stuff! You must have missed them.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

bill m

Yes they were there but the lady in the booth told me they were not selling anything on site and gave me a coupon for 20% off at any of their retail locations.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Woodhauler

Quote from: bill m on May 15, 2011, 07:32:13 PM
Yes they were there but the lady in the booth told me they were not selling anything on site and gave me a coupon for 20% off at any of their retail locations.
Sorry Me bad! Seen the display and figuered they was selling!

jab73180

Quote from: mjeselskis on May 15, 2011, 07:01:46 PM

The thomas mills seem well built and affordable. The woodmizer LT15 would be my ultimate pick, but it's pricey. WM is definitely one step ahead of the rest. Simply due to price,  I'm leaning toward building one this winter using the same design as the thomas. I think I'll have around $1500 in materials for a 18hp mill with a 30" throat.

timberking makes a good mill too.  a buddy of mine did his homework and that is what he picked.  i like the 4 post cutter head.  the single post of the WM doesnt seem rugged enough, but thats just my opinion.

beenthere

jab
It is more than rugged enough.

And welcome to the forum. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

I was there on Friday. No where near the stuff they had 4 years ago,but still a great show. Seems like it geared more towards the big boys. But it's still fun to look at Big Boy toys. No swing mills this year.
I have a Thomas mill. I bought the longer track,can cut a 20 foot log. My bunks can be moved so I can cut a piece of stove wood length wood. That's kinda why I bought one and it's made in Maine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jab73180

thanx, i have been lurking for a while.  there is a lot of inspiration on this forum and i have some stuff in the works.  

a old timberjack

i seen this thing, i tyink you ( and know ) you can buy a small skidder and a dozer for 59 grand and have some modern equipment. i was there fri and sat, always a good time
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

a old timberjack

i also wanted to add, that it looks like a old bombi, the undercarrage is almost the same. i bet it dont like the new england rocks that will never go away.
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

oldseabee

Anybody remember the big logging shows in New Orleans and Atlanta back in the 70's and 80's. They knew how to party back then.
Also remember a show in Tifton Ga. when a John Deere skidder ended up in the pool at a motel.

logman81

I have to agree with a old timberjack I don't think it would handle the rocks to good. I think a wheeled machine would handle the rocks much better.
Precision Firewood & Logging

mjeselskis

Quote from: a old timberjack on May 16, 2011, 07:54:49 AM
i also wanted to add, that it looks like a old bombi, the undercarrage is almost the same. i bet it dont like the new england rocks that will never go away.

It reminds me alot of the old bombardiers. I think it would be great with a foot of snow on the ground, but not worth the price.

treefarmer87

you could buy a really nice skidder for that price, maybe even a loader and truck :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

snowstorm

i was there all day friday. had quite a chat with my ol buddy erikki from quadco. ya the same one i was fussing about before. bought a reman computer from them for my keto. worked good for two months. he told me he would get back to me with a soulation to the problem.......that was last june. my first question to him on friday was....did you get your phone fixed....so after a while he admits that the computer that he sold me wasnt a reman unit......it was used. now thats strange cause he went into great detail about how the factory rebuilds them. was telling me that it had been back to the factory in finland. just a used one we had .....it was $2500 plus my old one. he did offer to send his tech to look at it for $2400 then changed it to $500 if he was in the area. says the tech could reload the card. if the card wont reload the puter is junk. and the tech cant bring any tools with him because he is coming from quebec. so guys would you feel like you got taking for a ride on this deal?

sprucebunny

Old Bombardier.

The only similarity I see is the tracks.

$59k you could get a J5 and have a lot more than $50k left !!!
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

isawlogs

I was almost temted to go back this year, had a lot of fun there last time around. Has it been four years ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

mjeselskis

Quote from: sprucebunny on May 16, 2011, 08:07:15 PM
Old Bombardier.

The only similarity I see is the tracks.

$59k you could get a J5 and have a lot more than $50k left !!!

I was thinking it looked like the old SW48 sidewalk plows

Logginsteve

Another newbie here!

I also went to the show.  I've only been once before, many years ago, and felt it was scaled back for my areas of interest -> small woodlot owner.  Not massively, just not as many things making me think "yeah... I could use that".

The super expensive Quebec made tracked tugboat was really impressive.  I spent some time chatting with the guy about it because I use a J-5 Bombardier (modified with winch/arch) as my primary means of moving wood around.  Two major advantages of the design I saw:

1.  Engine mounted in front.  The Bombardier's are butt heavy because that's where the engine is.

2.  Zero radius turning capability.  While it's true the Bombis don't take a lot of room to turn around in, it does take time and sometimes I scrape up trees that I wouldn't need to if I could zero turn.

The diesel engine, hydraulics, front attachment points, etc. are all very nice, but the two things mentioned above are it's main selling points IMHO.  Not enough for the asking price, though :D

I'm just glad the weather held off on Saturday.  When I left my house it was pounding rain.

Steve

Thank You Sponsors!