iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

favorite blade shop

Started by Patpollin, September 14, 2020, 09:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patpollin

Hi from southern rhode island
first post as a new bandmill owner - operator and happy to be on the train after much studying
fully manual with 20hp honda
It came with a mountain of used blades. I figured since they were not coiled up they are in dud condition.
I put one on to test out the mill on an ash log
It did cut straight but surface finish is rough

from my reading there is no point to continuing without spanking sharp blades

I may try to have some of the old ones sharpened but I don't know what degree they are
My old blades measure 1.5" from back to tip

What are the best places to order blades from? Looking for good price and selection

I have been advertised to by sawmill.shop but they only have 2 blade types lenox and WM 7 degree and I don't know if that is the proper choice

Primary sawing will be Ash, white oak, red oak for now
Manual mill 20hp gas motor
Not to start a fire but 10 degree doesn't seem to get much love
4 and 7 degree sound more popular

mike_belben

Youre probably close enough to go direct to lenox yourself.  Theyre on chestnut street in sorry, east longmeadow mass, not agawam.. called american saw.
Praise The Lord

Old Greenhorn

If I had known back when I bought my mill what I know now, I would go directly with 4° blades to begin. Rock solid and dependable for the smaller engine mills, 20hp and under. That will give you a baseline, then add some 7° blades for a test and see what you learn and how you like them in particular species. Don't discount the 10° blades until you have tried them, they all have a place, but for starting out, I think the 4° will get you going with a lot less learning curve than I suffered. Welcome aboard!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

What kind of mill you got?
And what's all the lumber going to be used for?
You will need a Logrite cantdog or peavey. Sponsor on the left. Nice people, made in USA!!  logrite_cool
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Patpollin

I would like to get to Lenox in springfield Ma but that is a small hike from me. I can't find a 4 degree blade from Lenox - the Woodmaster line seems to be all 10 degree.

https://www.bandsawbladesdirect.com/media/sales/sales_sheets/WoodMaster_GT_Band_Saw_Blades.pdf

I have one sturdy woden cant hook but am looking forward to having getting a nice 60" Logrite for 2-person rolling the big ones. I wonder if Logrite in Vernon takes walkin orders. Also Shelter tree arborist co is a dealer in attleboro.  

the mill is a Thomas 8020 from Maine

thanks for the good tips

terrifictimbersllc

Yes you can walk in to LogRite.  Just make sure they're open. 

Sometimes they have slightly blemished tools at a discount, used to, anyways. 

I'm guessing you'll continue to get recommendations of 4 degree blades from users here of <30 HP mills. There are a number of Thomas owners.  I"d say try those first don't start playing a blade game with a bunch of styles before you've done a fair amount of sawing.  It's hard to pinpoint differences just trying one style then another one blade at a time even after you know your mill pretty well. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

thecfarm

8020,I think that is the wide? I almost bought that one, 15 years ago. And I mean almost. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

farmfromkansas

My Cooks mill is a mp32, has a 25 hp motor, and think super sharp blades are 8 degree.  What do you think about 4 degree blades for my mill?  Usually get along fine with Cooks blades, some are lenox and some are tech blades as well as super sharps. Usually just buy their best priced blades.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

DbltreeBelgians

I have used Lenox Woodmaster "C-Sharp" 7 degree blades and they worked much better than their Woodmaster "C" blades in 10 degree in ash. I currently use 4 degree Kasco Woodmaxx blades and have great success with them on my 20 HP Honda powered mill. Kasco is a forum sponsor on the left side of the page. I order my blades from member Cutting Edge. You can do a member search for him. He's always done me well on any issues or questions I've had about saw blades.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Brent

barbender

I've never had a problem with a sharp and well set 10° blade. I have been sawing lately with a mix of Kasco 7° I got from member cuttingedge, and Simonds 10°. Both are .050x1.5" and they are both sawing very well for me. I'm cutting a lot of pine lately, and some oak.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!