iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

favorite blade

Started by steve phillips, January 19, 2012, 09:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve phillips

helloooooo
whats everone favorite blade . brands ,tooth ect . if i figure right i can cut a log 30in dia with a 144 inch blade , that sound right ?
if its not broke dont fix it !!!!

paul case

The ez boardwalk 40 has an 14'6'' blade and max cut width is 36''. The LT40 I just never have measured width of cut on.
I have always used 1 ¼x.042x7/8 and I get along best with simonds red streak. Your results may vary ::) PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bandmiller2

Steve, all the name brand bands are good its just some mills prefer one over the outher.I'am trying out Cooks bands now they look promising,Mizers are reliable,I also like timberwolf.You will just have to try them on your mill.My bands are 167" and I consider 30" log to be max.If you want to diddle around you can take shallow slab cuts on a huge log, if you have the hight capacity,turn it a little and take anouther cut its called gun barreling, tough on a manual mill. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

FeltzE

Lennox woodmaster C 3/4 pitch 1 1/2" wide, verying kerf based on what we are sawing.

Chuck White

The blades for the Wood-Mizer LT40 are 158" or 13'2".

I have always used the Wood-Mizer Double Hard .045 x 1¼ x 158; 10°

They last for quite a few sharpenings, I average 6 - 8 sharpenings.

I can usually resharpen after striking a nail, to be good as new.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kansas

My favorite blade is the one that we haven't found yet. The one that will cut just a little faster. Whatever you do, try different ones. Different species, different styles of cutting, frozen wood, etc., the mills themselves seems to yield different results with different blades. Most manufacturers will send a sample blade. Try some of different pitch, hook angle, and set. We run Woodmizers on several machines, including resaw. We run Kasko mostly on the big mill that uses two inch wide blades, cuts as good or better than Woodmizer in most applications. But we can't make a Kasco cut straight on the Woodmizer. Someone else's results will be different.

Magicman

What I use is what was recommended by WM when I ordered my first/only batch of 60 blades.  I have always used the Wood-Mizer Double Hard .045 x 1¼ x 158; 10°.   They work well since a great majority of my sawing is SYP and other soft woods.

I use WM Resharp service and their blade replacement program, so my blade inventory now remains constant.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

5quarter

MM...Are you saying that you have been sawing for 10+ years on 60 blades? :o either I'm misunderstanding or you truly are a sawing God!  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Buck

resharp replaces blades when they are worn out
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

FeltzE

WM has a autoreplacement program with their resharp program. So any reject blades are automaticly replaced and billed to your account.

Cost(s) resharp service $7 - $7.50 each. shipping $12 each way on a box of ten so $2.40/blade .... Total $9-$10 per blade to resharpen. Great if you don't want to do it yourself.

IF you want to do it yourself...

Sharpen 4-6 blades per hour  kinda like paying yourself $40-60 per hour for in-house maintenance and less overhead on blades, more on the sharpener. Ad $2k for your sharpener divde by 10 ... 200blades sharpened pays for the sharpener, everything after that is gross profit or savings depending on your viewpoint, unless of course you don't want to do it yourself.

eric

steve phillips

howdy all
thanks for all the input , i know so well some blade cut better than others on different machines. i used to build banjos and had a big old old delta bandsaw i bought for resawing , well my little 14 in bandsaw with a wolf blade cut faster and cleaner than the 20in would .
i still got a lot to learn and you guys rock with info
resharping service is the way to go for me unless i make a sharpener lol .
  ps just to let you know i keep notes on companys , info ect i hear from you guys , hope you dont mind but a man can only hold so much info lol   thanks
if its not broke dont fix it !!!!

buildthisfixthat

my favorite blade lenox   Xstream prouduction thanks for asking
shop built bandsaw mill

5quarter

Ok MM...now that makes sense...rotating inventory of blades. Still think you're a sawing God... ;)

What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!