iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to charge for burls?

Started by oakiemac, December 10, 2007, 04:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

For those of you that sell burls, what do you charge? I just came across a huge hard maple burl and was wondering what the going market is for these things.
Thanks.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Daren

Got a picture ? It varies. Just like a gem stone for example, the higher the "quality" and rarity the higher the price. Sold by the pound I have done $2-$20 (kinda gives a clue there is a wide range) Maple burl is more common than most, but still desirable. If you want to process it (cut it into pen blanks, veneer sheets, knife handles, pistol grips....) they bring better money-if you have the market.
My best advice right now is to seal it to keep it from drying too fast and just blowing up, assuming it is green. Coat it with Anchorseal and try to sell it green, that is your best bet if you have no experience drying them.
$20 pound was for more unusual burl like redbud,mulberry,ash. Maple is usually on the low end of the scale.

Oh, got a picture  :D. That would help.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

oakiemac

Thanks, I'll try to get a pic. It is a huge gnarly thing so it might best be cut into smaller sized pieces.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

oakiemac

Hopefully here is a pic of the burl. It is hard to get a size from the pic but it is about 18" in diameter.

Daren

Well it still looks "fresh", funny how burls collect all that moss/dirt. Cut if off the log, slice it in 1/2 (looks like 2 burls) and have a look. Still can't help you on price, but in two pieces they can be submerged in a 5 gallon bucket of water till someone else can.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Thank You Sponsors!