iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT35HD compared to LT40HD or super

Started by Beaudeane, September 19, 2012, 03:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaudeane

I'm wondering in real world use, what's the difference of a 35 compared to a 40? I know it says 32" logs compared to 36" logs but how often are u up against a 3 foot diameter log?I'm sure every job is different but am talking bout on average. Is the throat width that big a deal in your normal days sawing? Is the price difference really just for saw head, or is it a whole different saw? I also know u can get a bigger engine on the 40s. Just comparing on the woodmizer site, with the biggest gas motor & debarker on those saws, theres a $9-14k price swing. I'm just tryin to get a grasp on it in my head cause I still ain't never saw one of the saws up close yet. All input is appreciated & remember, there ain't no dumb questions, just dumb people... Lol 
Don't think of it as `gun control', think of it as `victim disarmament"

Kansas

I would look at your resources, that is, what will you be cutting. We cut a lot of 36"plus logs. But in some places, those are scarce to non existent. Second, how fast do you need to cut. Are you just cutting for yourself? Production? If most of your logs are 16 inch and under, you really don't need a lot of horsepower, especially if going a little slower doesn't bother you.

And remember, going used will give you a lot more saw for the money. As long as there hasn't been a fire or its been wrecked, everything is fixable on a Woodmizer. You can probably get a used 40 cheaper than a new 35 by quite a bunch. Outside of the old, old computers on the 40, everything can be replaced. And we cut for years without a computer. No matter what mill you get, you will have to learn to fix it. New just delays it a little bit. Looking at woodmizers used section, they have a few there that look like pretty good bargains.

drobertson

I do'nt know anything about the 35's  I have a 40 super and love it, wish I had the 70.  It does depend on what you are going to do,   It is kinda like storage in a shop, when you first get it, there is plenty of room, but before you know it you need more room. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Since you do not have your location listed in you profile there is no way to guess what size logs you may be encountering.  Will this be for hobby use or will you do custom sawing?  Do you plan to set up permanently or be portable?

From my experience (even last week) I can assure you that bigger and stronger is better.  Customers will throw some challenges at you and the sawmill.  I have sawed jobs that sawyers with smaller sawmills had to decline, then they became repeat customers.

Strong hydraulics and bells and whistles are put on portable sawmills for a reason.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

It's not just 32 vs 36 inch logs.  It can be the ability to  saw crooked 26" logs, wider crotch sections, or possibly longer (heavier) logs up near the max limits.  I'd upgrade from LT40 Super if there were larger throat width, max diameter or weight capacity with no trade-offs.  But it comes down to what you're doing, if you're occasionally sawing logs for personal use you can find some other way.  But doubt if you'd ever want an LT35 once having an LT40.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Mooney

I've used both mills, and both sure are fun! The LT40HD has a lot more automation in place, and the head is more heavy duty.

LT35HD features that are different from the LT40HD.
Hydraulics are slower on the 35. Manual water lube engage, manual blade guide arm movement, manual blade engage, simpler blade tension unit, fewer options than the LT40 (no operator seat, Accuset2, Stationary Command, etc).

Lot of happy 35 customers out there that couldn't quite justify the expense of the LT40HD, but had the cash or could afford the financing on the LT35HD.

Of course, the LT35HD is currently on sale for it's lowest price this year, and a debarker is now available for it as well. http://www.woodmizer.com/us/PortableEquipment/HydraulicSawmills/LT35HDSawmill.aspx

Kansas

Terrific is right. Comes down to what you want to do with it. If you just want to do some occasional sawing on not huge logs, the 35 would work fine. New means at least for a while, little work on it. If you are going to make a living on it and pile up the hours, you can get for the same money a used 40 Super. You will have to learn to work on it anyway. Fortunately, Woodmizer can generally talk you through all problems.

Beaudeane

Got my town on there finally mm. Since I havnt had a saw b4, I really have nothing to base what I'd be cutting on it size wise. It would be for personal use & in hopes it would turn into a pay it's own way hobby to maybe a small biz in time. Sounds like the used 40 super would be the way to go then since less cost & more ability. I also see prices all over the board on used mills. I'm in no hurry & would like to get a good deal when I do get a saw. I want portable, gas preferably or diesel second choice, the more bells & whistles the better.... I have no idea what a good deal is on that setup. What do I look for that will tell me to walk away from one saw or to another? I've also seen cheaper saws to some with almost new prices on WM used list & sawmill exchange... Basically same saws. There's still a $15k swing on prices of used ones. Idk, just starting to look. Thanks for all the input
Don't think of it as `gun control', think of it as `victim disarmament"

Magicman

There are many different and sometimes valid reasons for the price swing that you are seeing.  Some of the used price swing could be whether the seller bought new or used himself.  Sawmill hours affect prices, and also "new" listings may be higher than one that has been listed for a while.  Some sawmills were financed and the owners have been paying mostly interest and the payoff is still high.  Then some folks simply want to recover the full buying price.

I would recommend any first time buyer without any real sawing experience to buy used, and to buy the largest sawmill possible.  I have no regret buying used, except that it would have been more fun buying new.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Buy what you think you will need now and than buy the next size up.  ;D  6 months down the road it will be just what you need.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bibbyman

With new you get a mill with all new parts,factory adjusted and a warranty.   This should provide a buffer time to get up and running with minimal problems.   Used, you could save a bunch of money but run into maintenance costs in time and money sooner.   
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Nomad

gas preferably or diesel second choice

I'd say you might want to rethink that.  I'm sure some people will dispute this, but there's no way I'd trade a diesel engine out for a gas unit!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Magicman

Me either, but I did not know that when I bought my sawmill.   ;D

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: nomad on September 19, 2012, 08:50:33 PM
     gas preferably or diesel second choice

I'd say you might want to rethink that.  I'm sure some people will dispute this, but there's no way I'd trade a diesel engine out for a gas unit!

yeh...
My mills had both - diesel all the way!! (LT-40 super)

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Thank You Sponsors!