iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

to rebuild or not

Started by xlogger, December 10, 2018, 04:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

Went out yesterday afternoon to put wood in OWB and looked in the back to see this. Just no luck this year with hurricane messing up our trailer at beach and now this. Now got to decide on tearing it down and putting up a new shed for my slabs which I probably have over 200 in there and that many waiting to get into the kiln. If I was younger it would not be any problem making a decision, I'd go up with a bigger and better shed. My wife said go ahead and build a new one. Lots of work and no place to keep slabs for now. :-\

Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

thecfarm

From what you guys say,there is money in them slabs. Rebuild!! Bigger and better.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kelLOGg

Ricky, that's a bummer. A temporary shelter wouldn't take a lot to put together. I cover my air drying lumber with vinyl siding glued into wide sheets. Joshua Paxon (I believe you know him) offered me vinyl billboard sheets but I didn't need them. He may still have them. Good luck whatever you decide.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

LeeB

Yep,build. How much of the materials from the cratered shed can you recycle? Any insurance by chance?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

xlogger

If I decide to replace it back Builders Discount has some fair deals with metal trusts that a couple friends of mine has used and I could make it taller. As of now with the high mask of my forklift I can only pick up forks a few inches to get it inside and too short to stand 10ft slabs up unless I use a leaning rack inside that I built. Also if I do go back up I'm going to make it bigger so I can move my planner. dust collector and jointer out there. If I do that I would look for a generator to power them it just too far from power at house to run wire strong enough for two 220's and I don't run them very much anyways. I'm leaning on putting up a new shed, I have too much material to figure out how to show it and sell it. Just need to be 10 years younger.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

scsmith42

Ricky, that sure sucks!  You're still too young to quit though, so I can see a new shed in your future.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

Ricky,

Sorry to see this trouble.  Hang in there.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

richhiway

Wow! that's not even a big snow load. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

xlogger

The shed has been threw just as bad or close but for reason it didn't make it this time. We had between 10-12" snow and then it sleeted for awhile after that.
Question, if I do rebuilt like I said I would built a little bigger so I can move my jet 20" planner out. What size generator would a guy need to run two 220 volt tools off it? My dust collector is 220 also.

kelLOGg

Ricky,

You need to also know the amp draw for each motor. Then Volt x amp for planer + Volt x amp for dust collector = running wattage. To start the motors multiply running wattage by about 3. These numbers are approximate so I hope someone else chimes in to give another opinion. 

Bob
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Don P

You might get by with 2x since they don't start under load but 3x wouldn't be wrong. Can you salvage the roof to use as side sheds?

kelLOGg

Particularly if you don't start them at the same time.

xlogger

Quote from: Don P on December 11, 2018, 06:22:23 AM
You might get by with 2x since they don't start under load but 3x wouldn't be wrong. Can you salvage the roof to use as side sheds?
The roof lengths are 40 ft might get a few 3 ft wide pieces off the back end around 10 ft long to use for covers for my air drying stacks. But they are not in the best of shape. I'll be heading to scrap yard with about all.

OffGrid973

I see a tractor in there. Sure we didn't accidentally pull it down on first decent snow to "force" a new shed to be built without wife knowing?

Seems like karma as what's more fun then building a massive slab storing shed that only FF members understand the need for :).  Get the design going and start cutting !!!
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

farmfromkansas

Think it would not be real difficult to fix that shed.  It just did not have enough horizontal bracing to stand up to the show.  After it has melted off, I would remove the tin, and see if it is possible to get the rafters back into place, then add some bracing, and finally put the sheets back up. I could do it, and I'm older than you.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

GAB

Quote from: Don P on December 11, 2018, 06:22:23 AM
The sequence you start the motors in may affect on whether 2x will be sufficient.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

xlogger

Well for sure this has not been my year. Since the snow I didn't go down to the mill for a week. I when down yesterday to saw some cedar and was lucky the mill was still there. Something shorted out across the battery and burnt up the battery, wires and melted the plastic blocks that rides the motor sawhead  up and down along with some sawdust. All this happen under the gas tank. How that didn't catch on fire is a wonder to me.
I called Mike at TK for a little help on rewiring and order some new plastic blocks. Hopefully there is not any other damage that I can't see.

samandothers

Man, when it snows it pours!  Sorry for the poor luck.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!