iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stick Welder

Started by Norm, April 15, 2008, 01:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcsmpsi

Quote from: Norm on April 16, 2008, 07:28:37 AM
Thanks for all the great advice folks. I've found the Lincoln AC/DC 225 at HD for a pretty good price. I'd love to have one with a generator but I just don't do enough welding to justify the cost. Of course it's been since industrial arts class in high school since I've done any welding so I may just a bit rusty. :D

Any advice on some accessories to get besides a auto darkening helmet?

Other than what's been mentioned already, good clamps and a chop saw.  Sleeves and good, comfortable welding gloves.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Larry

Marcel covered it pretty good.  To expand a little on the grinder get the best quality 4-1/2" grinder you can find as it will get a lot of use.  Some type of eye protection for the grinder...I hate goggles cause they fog so bad but am comfortable with a full face shield and my safety glasses.  I have a 7" grinder also, but it is more of a luxury than a necessity and I could get along without it.  A welding book would provide a little guidance.  Rod is sometimes just a matter of preference but I would bet 1/8" 6011 and 6013 are the most sold.  I normally just use lightweight leather gloves if any for arc welding but have some of heavy gloves available...use them mostly with the torch.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

scsmith42

Norm, I would suggest that you get two hand held 4-1/2" grinders, and leave a cup wire brush on one and a grinding wheel on the other.  The wire brush really works great for removing slag.

Being able to have well fitted joints prior to welding makes things much easier, thus a nice bandsaw or chop saw is a valuable accessory.

I have a leather welding jacket that I frequently wear.  The UV Rays generated from welding tend to give me migrane headaches.  I would also suggest one of the "welding caps" that you can wear on the top of your head under the helmet - protects the old scalp from the spatter.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Gary_C

Norm, the first thing you need with a stick welder is a dry place to store your welding rods.
Next you need a good chop saw, 4 1/2" grinder, C-clamps, vice grip clamps, and even some of those magnetic right angle holders.
Next thing or maybe the first thing to make is a steel topped table to work on to save your back.
And maybe the most important thing is some ventilation where you weld so you do not breathe the fumes from welding. They are very toxic.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Modat22

Whatever welder you buy consider picking up a reactor for it. A reactor is an air cooled coil of very heavy guage wire that will act like an arc shock absorber. I bought 1 for both my stick welders and it really makes for some nicer welding.

I bought mine from surplus center I believe.
remember man that thy are dust.

Norm

Hmmm seems that I may need to make a trip to the welding supply store. Do you guys have any suggestions on what is used to keep the rods dry with? Also I've been wanting a metal cutting band saw too, any suggestions on those?

So should I break it to Patty that the welder was the cheapest part of this new endeavor of mine. :D

Bro. Noble

Norm,  for most purposes,  a dry,  well ventilated spot in your shop would be fine for storing most rods.  For welding high carbon steel and some alloys, you need to use low hydrogen rods like 7018 and it is more important that they be kept dry.  An old small discarded refrigerator with a lightbulb (that is kept on even when the door is shut  ;)) is pretty common in welding shops for storing rod.

I've used metal cutting bandsaws and wouldn't trade my abrasive cut off saw for a truck load of them.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Norm

Thanks Noble. I've borrowed my son's cutoff saw and thought it worked just fine but wondered if the band saw would be better.

To be honest I've wanted to learn how to weld for years. Now I use a welding shop that thinks 6 months is pretty much the minimum time that a small job should take. That and I think his kids must be going to Harvard for what he charges. I'm looking into some continuing ed classes for a short course on the basics.

Dave Shepard

7018 can become useless in as little as 30 minutes in very humid/wet conditions. It is possible to dry it out again, but I don't remember the temp, I think it was ~600°F. It is often stored in rod ovens at a much lower temp. They make special heated holders that dispense one rod at a time for work that has to be structurally certified.

I use the ten pound plastic tubes with the screw on lid, your welding shop should have those. I like to run 6013 and 7014, both weld very nicely. Some swear by 6011, I swear at it. :-\ I keep both 1/8" and 5/32" in each type on hand, but 1/8" will cover most jobs.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

isawlogs

Norm , I use a small wood box with a 40 watt light bulb in it ... Alls you need is to keep the rod free of humidity . They do sell rod ovens at the welding supply store ... I have never got that hung up on the well keeping of rods at home to ever justify having one . We did though always have one on the job when raising steel .
 Patty is good with wood get her to make the box   ;D

Hows dat song go "  Break it to her gently "   :D
I dont like the band saws , but the electric hand saws that use an inche and 1/2 blades ... now your talking .  ;)

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Larry

I have a Porter Cable Porta bandsaw.  It's a handheld saw but I also have a stand that turns it into a stand alone saw.  It's accurate, and most important quiet.  Bands don't last very long and it does cut slow.

I use my Makita 14" chopsaw about 95% of the time.  I've had it for 15 years or so with one switch problem just a couple of weeks ago.  I cut a lot of iron...some quite heavy.  Some blades glaze up on the heavy iron and stop cutting...anybody have a recommendation for a good brand?

PVC with a couple of end caps will keep your common and most used rods dry.  7018 is a rod for special use...just buy a pound if you need it.  Store the left over in your closet (next to your woodworking biscuits) to keep it dry. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

tcsmpsi

I've got an old full size refrigerator that I keep rods in.  I keep the rods in the top freezer part, and powder, primers and such in the bottom part.  I use large bags of 'rechargeable' dessicant in with them.  I keep a pretty good selection of rods, including 7018 and never had any problem with them.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

mike_van

One more thing on the 7018 rod Norm - Make sure what you get is AC/DC - I've had some in the past that was DC rod, & it's just awful to use on an AC machine.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

scsmith42

Norm, ditto the recommendations on using an old refridgerator for rod storage.  I use an "under-counter" model, with a full time 60 watt bulb inside.  Keeps the rods nice and toasty!

Re bandsaws, I've used several, and my current model (which I'm very pleased with) is an Ellis model 1800.  http://www.ellissaw.com/Band-Saws/13/1800-mitre-band-saw

It's US made, and cuts straight and fast.  I prefer it over my chop saw due to noise level (much quieter), cleanliness, and overall ease of use.

Before the Ellis I had a Jet - also a good saw but not quite in the same league as the Ellis.  By the way, Ellis makes some great drill presses too!

For a hand held band saw, the Milwaukee porta-band is hard to beat.  Get the wide throat model. 

Now, if I had your money... in addition to the above I'd buy an ironworker!  They are the slick way to punch, cut and shear metal.

A stationary 3/4hp bench grinder with a wire brush on one side is also handy for knocking off burrs and cleaning up threads.

Another nice addition is a plasma cutter...

We can really have a good time spending your $, if you let us!

Scott

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Norm

Quote from: scsmith42 on April 16, 2008, 06:43:10 PMNow, if I had your money...

:D :D :D

Unless we change my name on here when Patty gets wind of this I may have to scale back my plans. ;D

Modat22

I got a cold box from a junk pop up camper and tossed a bag of dehumidifier pellets from Kmart in a sock in the bottom.

Another thing thats pretty easy to do is buy some 3 inch or 4 inch PVC pipe and put caps on the ends and store your rods in there (with a mesh bag of dry rice in the back to absorb moisture)
remember man that thy are dust.

Don_Papenburg

Get a good brand name helmet if you are going AutoDarkning.
I got a helmet from Farm&fleet ,that thing is so dark I never have to turnit on.  It was real treat to use a friends  Miller helmet .  I could see when not welding and it darkened right away as needed.  I would say buy Miller or Hobart ,I don't know if Huntsman makes an Autodark .  I use my old Huntsman the most because it is still the lightest helmet made.  
  Norm you might want to slide a mig welder in behind the Lincoln you just bought .  I veryseldom use my stick welder  since I got the wire feeder .   Stick flux fumes give me a bloody nose .   I also like the fact that I don't have to carry rods  and the little butts don't have to be collected.      Lincoln makes a tig conversion for the AC/DC welder .  I think it is called a Magnum or something like that .  It has been years since I got mine I cant remember .  But that is about all I use my 225 for any more.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Dave Shepard

I have a Huntsman auto darkening helmet. Bought it in 97, still works fine, and yes, the lightest hood I've found. I have a Jackson that's feels like it's made of cast iron. The inexpensive auto darks, usually purchased from somewhere that sells cheap stuff,  ;) , usually don't have any support or parts availabiliy. I used one that burned my eyes. >:( >:(

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sawmilllawyer

Norm, get a Lincoln "cracker box" 225 amp at a farm auction; usually will come w/ some 1/8" 6011 or 6013 rod. I bought one at an auction 5 years ago w/ heavier leads for $50.00 really did not need it as I had another which was purchased at a farm auction several years before. Echo what was said about AC/DC if the price is right. Two years ago picked up a real nice MIG at a pawnshop for about 1/2 of new. HD has a pretty decent book in the welding section that worth buying. Can't think of the author though.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Gary_C

Norm you can just tell Patty that you could have spent a lot more on the welder so you haven't even spent what you saved by buying that Lincoln 225.  :D :D

You can do a lot of welding with that welder, a chopsaw, and a 4 1/2" grinder. I can never find all those clamps when I need them anyway.

The biggest price shock comes when you buy the steel for your projects. Here we used to have a steel warehouse that sold drop offs for 10 cents a pound and today I could sell back all I haven't used for 20 cents a pound. :o
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

isawlogs

I will only add that you should get the best eye protection you can afford . that in a welding sheild and also for the grinding sheild .
As mentioned above somewheres geta dozen or so of the bean covers .. They have them at the welding supply , cheap protection for the top of the coconut .  ;)

If you have any galvinised steel that needs welding ... please ask for intructions first , you can get really sick from the funes .

Have fun sticking steel with your new welder  :) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

limbrat

I dont need to weld very often so i didnt spend much on it. Got a little hobart 205 ac that does good. Dont forget a Victor wrench or cutting torch . I use 3/32 and 1/8 rods that share a closet in the house with the gas hot water heater its nice and dry there and they aint grabbing space in the shop.
ben

LeeB

I don't really have clue who made my old machine. My dad bought it at Montgomery Wards 40 years ago. He probably laid a ton of bead with it and I got it when he passed. Still works just fine.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!