iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stacking wet red pine 2 x 4's

Started by fluidpowerpro, July 08, 2022, 08:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluidpowerpro

Just sawed some 2x4x12' out of some RP that was really wet. I noticed that when its really wet it's almost "rubbery" and when stacking and stickering, if I didn't pay attention, I could end up placing the board such that it would have dried with crook in it. I try to stack with a little gap between each board so it was really evident how each could bend some just by how I placed it on top of the sticker. Never have seen wood so rubbery. Possibly because the logs were cut in the spring?
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

DennisK

Maybe rachet strap to something like concrete blocks, retighten a couple times a day for awhile. Can't make syrup!

fluidpowerpro

I don't think it's necessary to strap. I was just noticing that a small board like a 2 x 4 was actually flexible to the point that you could induce crook just by how it's placed on the sticker. I do put a little weight on top to help with bow.
Change is hard....

Don P

Is it crook or bow? Crook, a hockey stick, your stickering isn't going to help. Bow you can help by adding weight to the pile. I tend to stack them hump up in the middle just because it is easier for me to stack that way.

beenthere

How wide is the stickered stack?  
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fluidpowerpro

I'm talking about crook, not bow. The wood was so rubbery you can unintentionally put crook in it just by how you placed it in the stickers.
Change is hard....

richhiway

Good logs make good lumber. 2x4's are not gold bars.(although they may be silver. The local lumber co. is getting nine dollars) Just do your best and sometimes you have to cull some boards. 
Just like you sort lumber when you buy it at the lumber company. The culls are still useful for shorts, blocking etc. 
You can throw some in for free on a order.
Your time is better spent sawing then fussing to much over stacking. 
It would be different if it was expensive hardwood.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

moodnacreek

With pine, especially hard pine the concern is blue stain or worse in warm weather. Stack must have plenty of air flow.

Ianab

I'd think that butting the boards up together, making sure they are straight(ish) in the layer, then putting down the next layer of sticks would be the best plan. If you try and space them apart it's going to be harder to get them all straight, and they could move in the stack. Once they are in the stack and weighted down, they should dry in that position (hopefully). There's bound to be a few delinquents that spring out of the dry stack as propellers. Those are just rejects / used for "shorts" etc. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

moodnacreek

Quote from: Ianab on July 11, 2022, 02:18:09 AM
I'd think that butting the boards up together, making sure they are straight(ish) in the layer, then putting down the next layer of sticks would be the best plan. If you try and space them apart it's going to be harder to get them all straight, and they could move in the stack. Once they are in the stack and weighted down, they should dry in that position (hopefully). There's bound to be a few delinquents that spring out of the dry stack as propellers. Those are just rejects / used for "shorts" etc.
I agree. Have the bowed boards touching in the middle and on the outside edges of the layers and strap tight the ends of the stack. In extreme cases you can insert shims before strapping to reverse the bows. Think of it as steam bending.

Don P

I do remember an experiment where they built racks and dried the pile on its "side", and I believe it was red pine. Think of rolling a stack 90° up on edge. I can't remember anything more than laughing and thinking "college grant  :D"

trimguy

Fluid, I have noticed that on some southern pine 2 x 4 16 foot long, but I don't know when the trees were cut. I also stack and sticker with a space between the boards. Wouldn't you have more of an issue with mold, mildew, staining if the boards were pushed tight to each other without a space between them?

moodnacreek

Quote from: trimguy on July 11, 2022, 12:40:01 PM
Fluid, I have noticed that on some southern pine 2 x 4 16 foot long, but I don't know when the trees were cut. I also stack and sticker with a space between the boards. Wouldn't you have more of an issue with mold, mildew, staining if the boards were pushed tight to each other without a space between them?
They very well could stain on the edges this time of year but the space in between is bad also unless thick stock. The old books show spacing and chimneys in the pile and I used to do all that, not worth the trouble in most cases. Air cross flow is the important thing as is strapping the pile tight.

fluidpowerpro

Thanx all. I guess I'll find out how they dry and depending on the outcome decide what to do next time.

Change is hard....

Thank You Sponsors!