iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It always happens to me.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, October 18, 2013, 10:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

A guy calls this morning wanting to bring 2 big logs for me to saw. He wants to put bed boards on his trailer.
No problem.
He says he'll be at the mill at 1 o'clock.
2 o'clock gets here.....I call. He says he lost both logs on the highway and was waiting on a tractor to re-load them.
I'll be there at 3 o'clock David.....I say OK....No problem.
3:45 pm.....I call him. Where are you?
He says he'll be there at 4pm.....he lost 1 log turning on my highway.
4:40......he pulls in. I'm HOT......I'm wanting to get in the Deer stand.

I take one look at the trailer and the 2 logs he wants sawn for decking.

No wonder he kept losing his logs. The trailer is a wreck, the back wheels don't even touch the ground!  :D
Metal parts hanging off of it......and he's gonna deck it with WALNUT????? OMG!  :o :o :o
Oh well....I said I'd call him when his boards were ready.  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Tee

And we all share the road with such. In the last picture, what's the big pile in the background?

Chuck White

Even in it's condition, it'll be a "highly valuable" trailer once that Walnut gets bolted onto it!   ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Tee on October 18, 2013, 10:14:52 PM
And we all share the road with such. In the last picture, what's the big pile in the background?

That is ground up asphalt from our county highways.
The guy that is in charge of county highway maintenance is a chainsaw carver. I give him my White Oak ends for carving......he gives me ground asphalt.
I will use this pile for the floor in my new sawmill building and spread the rest in the yard for my equipment to ride on.

Ljohnsaw

With all that, what looks like pine stacked up, why didn't you offer to swap wood and take that weak walnut off his hands?  ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: ljohnsaw on October 18, 2013, 10:23:05 PM
With all that, what looks like pine stacked up, why didn't you offer to swap wood and take that weak walnut off his hands?  ;)

I did start to tell him I would saw SWEET GUM boards for his decking.
Then as the SWEET GUM dried, it would straighten the trailer out.  :D :D :D :D :D

beenthere

I hope you give a tip to the troopers when he leaves, so they can have a talk with him about the dangers of losing metal parts off a trailer on the highway.
A metal piece fell off a pickup in Milwaukee area a few short years back, and bounced under a car and up under the van following. It lodged in the motor somehow, caused a fire, and I believe 5 members of a family burned to death.
Just not right to pull a trailer like that with logs loaded like that on the highways... at least not everywhere.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

backwoods sawyer

I understand the "LOOK"
Some time back I had a customer call me mid morning said he had three nice Myrtle wood logs and that he would be at the mill in a couple hours or so as he was on the coast  about 100 miles out. He was a no show by the end of the day. 10 pm I see lights pull in the drive. The three 30"+, 16' Myrtle wood logs were more than a load for the tandem axle trailer, they had lost a wheel about 50 miles back down the road, never found the wheel, and the last 30 miles is a narrow windy canyon following every turn of the river up the mountain. They had jacked the axle up and chained it in place and came in on three wheels the hub had road rash and the poor lone tire was looking like it was close giving up the ghost.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Bibbyman

Looks like any number of our customers over the years.  We've had broken down trailers, tractors, trucks setting for weeks on our lot waiting for owners to come and repair.  Always a low tire or dead battery.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

kelLOGg

He's gonna put walnut on THAT? Isn't that like putting furniture in the living room then building the house?

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

customsawyer

That is more like putting lip stick on a pig. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

David,

Pretty soon you will have your own show. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Hilltop366

Well I did notice you are looking more like your avatar picture now. ;D

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

sawguy21

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 18, 2013, 10:24:43 PM
Quote from: ljohnsaw on October 18, 2013, 10:23:05 PM

I did start to tell him I would saw SWEET GUM boards for his decking.
Then as the SWEET GUM dried, it would straighten the trailer out.  :D :D :D :D :D
Now that is funny. Might be worth trying though, that guy needs all the help he can get.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

js2743

Im wondering what the story was for the reason taking so many pictures of his trailer. Was you telling him what a good trailer he had and you wanted to build one just like it?  :D

barbender

Quote from: js2743 on October 19, 2013, 08:35:26 PM
Im wondering what the story was for the reason taking so many pictures of his trailer. Was you telling him what a good trailer he had and you wanted to build one just like it?  :D
I was wondering the same thing, I wonder what would happen if we put the word out to Poston's customers that his business is just a front to get pictures of folks so he can post them online and make fun of them :D

barbender

I also wanted to say, just when I thought that Poston just couldn't get any homelier, he has to post a picture to prove me wrong ;D

JohnM

Quote from: barbender on October 19, 2013, 08:48:39 PM
I also wanted to say, just when I thought that Poston just couldn't get any homelier, he has to post a picture to prove me wrong ;D

That was David???!!! :o  I thought Magicman had poured grits on his toes! ;) :D
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Nomad

Poston, maybe you should start stocking some trailer parts.  And have you noticed you're starting to look a lot like DanG?

Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

beenthere

I didn't take the OP as making fun, but pointing out the marvels of some customers that show up.
As well as to the dangers to others on the highways and biways of some who happen to be part-time log haulers. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

julio

If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

DanG Y'all!  :D :D :D :D :D

At least you're comparing me to someone that has a good heart.  smiley_thumbsup

Thank You Sponsors!