iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TK-2000 log loader

Started by Larry, February 23, 2014, 07:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga Mtn Man

BTW, your coral red loader arms are looking a bit orange :o.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Larry

Don't let this get out.  Late at night after everybody is asleep, I get under the bed covers and watch orange utube videos on my I-phone.  Gotta keep up with what those guys are doing somehow. :)

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ga Mtn Man

:D :D :D

I won't tell a soul.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Nomad

Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

backwoods sawyer

You may want to take a look at shortening the pivot section to bring the center of gravity back in closer to the mill,
When lifting the big logs I chain them to the clamp and suck them right up tight to the mill to gain lift, if the center of gravity is moved away from the mill you will loose lift on the big logs.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Will_Johnson

The earlier poster who suggested that we designed the loaders this way to prevent logs from being "thrown" on the mill is correct.

I am very concerned about this modification in that it throws all of the carefully-considered geometry of the mill to the winds and makes me extremely concerned about the mill tipping over -- or welds failing -- on a big log. Obviously concern about tipping the mill over or log loader arm failing is inherently a concern about safety.

Too late now, but if you must have the arm angle modified, why not just weld a long tapered piece of metal to the face of the loader? Or better make a test piece from hard wood, glue it on and once you have a shape that works fabricate it from metal?

One man's opinion -- but it is my company that makes these mill. This modification concerns me a great deal from a safety perspective.

If -- as I hope -- you decide to "go back" I'd be glad to supply you with replacement loader arms at my cost.

york

Well,it will be interesting to see what Larry does here,But Will_Johnson,i am impressed with you.....

Albert
Albert

Larry

Its great that a responsible company express their concerns about a equipment modification they see as hazardous.  Second (and third) opinions are always welcome.

I too am concerned about this modification and the direction it is heading.  That was the main purpose of starting this thread to get suggestions instead of working in silence.  I wrote earlier that I had moved the log center of gravity and my concerns.  At this point I will complete the mod, test, and decide the proper course of action.  That may well be going back to a stock configuration.  Wills offer to sell me new arms at cost is a response I never expected and going far beyond the call of duty.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Ga Mtn Man

Larry-  Doesn't the elbow of the loader arm still hit the ground at the same spot it originally did?  If so, I don't see how you've changed anything with regards to the center of gravity.  You haven't significantly extended the length of the arm.

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on February 26, 2014, 12:23:26 PM
Larry-  Doesn't the elbow of the loader arm still hit the ground at the same spot it originally did?  If so, I don't see how you've changed anything with regards to the center of gravity.  You haven't significantly extended the length of the arm.

After giving it some more thought,  I see that the elbow may or may not be going all the way to the ground but, regardless of that, the elbow is still moving in the same arc as the original configuration and therefore there is no change in the locationn of the CG of the log.  I don't see a problem here as long as you can make the weld strong enough.

Am I missing something here?

Larry

I welded up the arms this morning and put them back on to check operation.  The arm doesn't swing down quite as far as it did, making it look like the log center of gravity has moved away from the mill.  In reality the center of gravity has moved 2" closer to the mill because of where I drilled the new hole for the arm.

Sawed a couple of logs this afternoon and think it is the improvement I was hoping to gain.  I'm sure my welds are good....but just in case I took the arms off and will weld an additional filet over each joint.  Stopped by TSC when I went out for lunch today and got a can of orange... but don't get excited it was Husqvarna orange to paint them.

I'm getting some tree length big oak in the next couple of weeks.  Before we buck them I'll take the largest and lift it on the arms just as a proof test.

Ga Mtn Man

Very good Larry.  We look forward to seeing the video.

An added bonus from this mod:  If you forget to raise the log-stops, the log will just go sailing right over your energy chain. :laugh:

Larry

Did you know those top links on the energy chain are $7 each?  Don't ask how I know or how many I have bought. :D

Ga Mtn Man

Ok, I won't ask.  Maybe someone else will. ;D

I do miss my energy chain. :'(

1938farmall

i still have half of my energy chain - the other half is duct tape.  :-\
aka oldnorskie

Thank You Sponsors!