Swingblade thinkerf.

Started by NZJake, July 08, 2017, 06:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NZJake

I'm pretty excited to reveal we at Turbosawmill are getting close to releasing our new generation thinkerf blades. These blades run as little as 9/64 or 3.8mm

Pictures of these new blades will be available on our website soon. Will also feature it in the log on YouTube. These blades do not suffer the current technology of having to reduce the depth of cut by increasing the attachment boss. If it's an 8" thinkerf blade it will cut 8". No readjusting required either. Just bolts on like your standard blade. We will be looking toward friction reducing lubricants to coincide with this new technology.

I see some bandsaw manufacturers state that they use extreme narrow kerf of 7/64 (2.5mm), but I'm curious to know exactly what kerf you as an owner, experiencing in the log? Could you do me a favour and enter into the cut maybe a foot, back out and measure the kerf at the stop point?

I can use this then to accurately compare what we now have. Thanks for your help.
Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

NZJake

Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

MbfVA

Jake, you're teasing us. How much will these things cost?  We would certainly like to take this knock away from the wood-mizer crowd regarding circle mills, but a high price tag (not that WM doesn't have some price zingers in its list!) will give them back a lot of thunder.

I will measure the curse, I mean KERF, generated by my WPF soon as I get more comfy that I know what I am doing.  Not a band mill but I am curious to see if it conforms to spec.

I see the cost shown on the Left Coast/Peterson as a tough swallow, and add in the redx in cut capacity, well, it seems to make them prohibitive, really.

Damage one?  Ey yi yi.

Inquiring sawyers want to know, particularly those of a walnut bent....

smiley_chop
www.ordinary.com (really)

Savannahdan

The large one looks like it needs to be on my mill.  Although on second thought it may be a 12" cut blade.  As to friction reducing lubricants, are you talking about a coating on the blade or something that goes in the water tank?
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

NZJake

Hi there,

The big one is the 10" blade. Blade lubricant I'm meaning something like diesel. Diesel works great but expensive. I'd rather something that won't have an effect on the timber. So any recommendations here would be great. We will be experimenting with a few options. Water works for now.

An actual lubricant will reduce pitch build up and friction when sawing timbers such as poplar.

mad murdock

I have been adding dawn hand dish soap to the water jug, and have seen a reduction in pitch buildup, to almost non existent. The soap/water mix does well to cool the blade also.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D