iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another build thread... JoshNZ

Started by JoshNZ, August 04, 2019, 08:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshNZ

It'd be an interesting tow, from the other end haha. All the weight + overhang on the rear of the wheels. I'll leave it as is for now I think it'll do enough road miles that a solid A frame will be worthwhile. Even in the workshop I quite often step through it. Maybe I'll get sick of that as my legs get older.

Are we all of the opinion these mud guards will look retarded =/. They're too big I think.. The only other material I have around is some 3mm aluminium checker plate, I might have to cut and fold some of that.

JoshNZ

This is the way I've gone with the mud guards, or where I'm going at least. Will drill and linch pin the back of the pins. Any thoughts...? Decided they'd have to do not gonna bother with alloy.

I got one of those stubby lens kits for my Tig torch last week. Sure does look nice compared to the stick!

Also got some wooden stops mounted for the clamps, I've been meaning to do this for a long time. Theres actually lots of little things I want to do like this I'll keep picking them off as I remember them.

If the mudguards go on alright tomorrow I'll do the lights and wiring and then take it to the garage to get road legal I think. The guy said they can warrant it before it's painted so I'll give it a bit more use before finishing it yet.

Ljohnsaw

Are your fenders going to be removable?  Don't need a log rolling off and squishing them...  Oh, never mind.  I see it now. ::)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

JoshNZ

They'll be the first thing I do after parking, I might have big "remove before sawing" stickers made up for them. Otherwise someone is going to collect them with the saw.

Hopefully just the two pins is enough to support them

Crusarius

better than my approach. I figure one day I will remove the top of the tire :)

JoshNZ

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: JoshNZ on November 18, 2019, 01:24:51 PM
They'll be the first thing I do after parking, I might have big "remove before sawing" stickers made up for them. 
That might be a little cottage industry for you, making those stickers. I am stationary, but I hear a lot of guys with mobile mills have found different ways to bang up their fenders and worse.
 I leave my socket wrench on the tensioning nut after I shut down for the day so that I will remember to tension the band before the next session . I know that one of the days....... So maybe I will tie a "remove before sawing" flag on it. Come to think of it, I used to have a 'remove before flight' flag hanging around here somewhere. I'd use that if I ever find it. ;D ;D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SawyerTed

I've been enjoying this thread.  +1 on the fabrication skills, I'm impressed.

@Old Greenhorn removing the fenders does not ensure they won't get dinged up.  I took mine off and put them "out of the way" down the hill.  The first log I needed to load decided to try to get away.  Yep, it found my fenders!  At least they stopped the log, both of them..... :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

btulloh

As far as I know, fenders are supposed to get dinged up.  :(  At least all mine on every trailer have some sort of "enhancement ".  They just aren't supposed to interfere with sawing or log loading. 

HM126

charles mann

@Old Greenhorn You beat me to it. Iv got a couple handfuls of those remove flags. I had plans of using them on my mill. If i can obtain an old mil 5 ton wrecker, there are several locations i'll need to put them on to remind me to secure before travel and release prior to operation. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Old Greenhorn

As I get older I find I need to leave reminders for myself. I have a routine on my mill, when I close up, I have a coffee can (they are plastic now, you know?) and I put that on top of my scale bar to keep it from poking through the tarp, my ratchet in that can when I am milling, so when I pick up the can, I HAVE to take the ratchet out of it. so then I use the ratchet to loosen the band. When I open the mill up, I reverse the process. 
 I don't know how well I would do with fenders though, if I had them. It would look a bit strange heading down the road with 5 or 6 little red flags flipping in the breeze. ;D :D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

JoshNZ

You'll love this then greenhorn...

I can't get the mill carriage unlocked until the fenders have been removed because I cant fold down the brackets with them there... Will just go ahead and say that was intentionally designed =D

It all went together pretty well. Linch pins are holding it nicely. Doesn't look ridiculous I don't think.

Ran out of rods before I got the brackets welded up and got into a packet of 7018s I had, to get finished. Think I'm gonna drop them in the trash haha.

Ljohnsaw

Yeah, 7018 takes some gettin' useta.  I was a few pounds in until I got the hang of it.  I think I've burned up about 100 pounds in the last few years now.  I got a 50 lb box for $40 off of CL.  But I love it now - so much less splatter than 6011 or 6013.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

JoshNZ

I just find I can't see a puddle. Seems to just be a cloud of (EDITED BY ADMIN) spraying out the end of it there's no real red blob you can see toeing nicely with the parent metal.

Maybe I'll hang onto them a bit longer. Do you keep yours warm

Old Greenhorn

I would say that is very good design work! Are you going to out some light plate on the inside of those fenders to reduce spray up on the mill? Very nice stuff Josh!

Crusarius

I love it when something like that happens. not a design intention but works great :)

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: JoshNZ on November 19, 2019, 03:27:27 AMMaybe I'll hang onto them a bit longer. Do you keep yours warm

I do nothing special to keep my sticks dry or warm.  Even though it rains for 2 or 3 month in the winter, the humidity is pretty low otherwise.  Maybe if I kept them in an oven/dry box it would be easier, but I've learned to make them work.
John Sawicky

JoshNZ

And do you keep a file in your pocket for starting a used rod too? Those buggers do not want to relight! Mine all sit in a nice dry office above a heater so I've got no excuse really.

I hadn't planned on a plate inside, I suppose I should. I'll do it later XD. I want to get the lights on and get the warrant out of the way.

I need a bit more bracing in the carriage too I've noticed it racks a little, in the horizontal plane. I was watching a video of a small wood mizer last week which was doing it too. I'm gonna put the saw head at max height then run a couple lengths of bars across corners I think

Crusarius

I keep mine in an airtight tube. when they are trouble starting I just find a spot that is not readily visible and drag till they arc. after the first arc they are usually fine.

RAYAR

Quote from: JoshNZ on November 19, 2019, 01:42:46 PM

I hadn't planned on a plate inside, I suppose I should. I'll do it later XD.

Just keep in mind how much clearance you need to slide the fenders out before it reaches the tire.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

charles mann

Take the rod out of the stinger, bump it against the metal to knock the flux off the tip, reinsert and strike the arc. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: JoshNZ on November 19, 2019, 01:42:46 PMAnd do you keep a file in your pocket for starting a used rod too?

I leave it in the stinger, grab the rod at the tip and drag it across my concrete floor.  That usually breaks the glaze off the tip that keeps it from starting.
John Sawicky

thecfarm

I hope I did not all ready post this.
Looks like your log stops are going straight up and down? I have a Thomas and that's how mine are. I painted lines on mine. Four inches is really 3½ and 6 inches is really 5½ inches and so on. So when I am sawing flitches,I set it at 6 inches, I know I have a ½ inch to spare. That way no guessing at how high to put them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JoshNZ

What do you guys make of this? It's a wild cherry tree a friend has left upright for me in a back yard. Wondered if the pattern of the scar or whatever might be something that sticks out to one of you veterans..

Will obviously poke around with the chainsaw before I put the mill through it but any suggestions as to where to start =/

JJ

eyebolt for a clothes line would be my guess.
the bolt is likely still there in center.   I've had a few like that from a dog lead.

JJ

Thank You Sponsors!