iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The result of my haste!

Started by francismilker, November 01, 2012, 05:04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

I'm happy to report that I have never smushed a chainsaw by accident.  I did however beat a little Poulan to death with a rubber hammer once. :D

That being said, I WILL leave my chainsaw to its own peril in the interest of removing my old, slow-moving carcass from the proximity of a falling tree.  I try to plan where I'm going to drop it, but there are no guarantees.  A new saw is nothing more than a trip to town and the writing of a painful check, but an ER visit is another matter altogether!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Okrafarmer

My dad backed over his toolbox with the bulldozer once. When I was a toddler, he backed the bulldozer over my toy ride-on pony.  :-\ Thankfully he never managed to back over any of his kids!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

sandhills

Dang, I can relate to the "hammer" incident  ;).

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: DanG on November 02, 2012, 02:14:45 PM
I'm happy to report that I have never smushed a chainsaw by accident.  I did however beat a little Poulan to death with a rubber hammer once. :D

I've used a Poulan before, and I've no doubt that the chainsaw deserved it :D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

jueston

Quote from: Okrafarmer on November 03, 2012, 07:15:27 PM
When I was a toddler, he backed the bulldozer over my toy ride-on pony.

and it was so tramatic that he still thinks about that pony....  :D

Okrafarmer

Quote from: jueston on November 08, 2012, 06:24:22 PM
Quote from: Okrafarmer on November 03, 2012, 07:15:27 PM
When I was a toddler, he backed the bulldozer over my toy ride-on pony.

and it was so tramatic that he still thinks about that pony....  :D

It wouldn't have been so bad if he hadn't told me. He could have thrown away the pieces and I probably would never have known. But he felt he needed to tell me. I'm not sure if I would have missed it or not, otherwise.  :-\
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Ernie

After my FIL died many years ago, my wife inherited his collection of antique wooden shafted golf clubs.  Unknown to either of us, our darling little sons aged about 4, 6 and 8 took them down into the bottom paddock to try and teach themselves how to play golf.  Naturally enough, they soon got bored and quit the game.  I must emphasise that neither of us knew about the golf game. About two and a half months later, I decided that the bottom paddock needed a bit of a tidy up and hooking the rotary slasher on the back of the tractor, set to the job of tidying.  The resulting smashing and clanging as I ran over the pile of precious golf clubs is a sound that we will never let the lads forget as Jan and the boys heard it up at the house.  One day I will write about or collection of crystal and Wedgewood but, as I said, that is for another day.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Magicman

When I was 5 years old we had no electricity and only an icebox.  The Ice Man came regularly and brought us a block of ice.  While turning around, he backed over our reel type lawn mower.  Why the heck would a 5 year old kid remember something like that??  I also remember dropping corn through the cracks in the kitchen floor to the chickens below, but that too is another story.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mad murdock

I have to admit, I ran over a chainsaw with a cat about 6 years ago.  I was real upset at the time, the saw probably had some good parts left on it in retrospect, but at the time I was so disgusted with my act, I threw it in the dump.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Okrafarmer

Ooooh, is that why they call you Mad Murdoch?  ???

barbender

Magic, maybe you need to write a book ;) My grandad told me that when they were kids, they were so poor that sometimes they ate lard sandwiches- and they thought they were good!  It was a different time, I have a lot of respect for folks that have lived through real "hard times". Now on the original topic, I ran over our push mower with a skidder once. You can imagine the results.
Too many irons in the fire

sandhills

I jump started the semi the other day and forgot to put the battery cover back on...  I only weighed about 76000 that load, and I don't have a cover for my batteries anymore.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on November 08, 2012, 06:03:43 PM
Quote from: DanG on November 02, 2012, 02:14:45 PM

I've used a Poulan before, and I've no doubt that the chainsaw deserved it :D

And I think you are both too kind...

Herb

captain_crunch

All I can add is Cat tracks make wonderful workbench long as you rember to clean workbench when you get done :-\ :-\ :-\
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

DR Buck

Quote from: mad murdock on November 08, 2012, 07:45:08 PM
I have to admit, I ran over a chainsaw with a cat about 6 years ago.  I was real upset at the time, the saw probably had some good parts left on it in retrospect, but at the time I was so disgusted with my act, I threw it in the dump.

My dog hiked his leg on a chainsaw one time, but the cat wants nothing to do with them and disappears everytime I start one.   
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Okrafarmer

We turned on the vacuum cleaner once, when the cat was sleeping against the end of the hose.  :o  :D :D :D :D :D

DanG

I have reason to be just a little bit proud of myself.  Just a little while ago I went into the bathroom and found a cat curled up in the sink, fast asleep.  I resisted. :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

steamsawyer

We had an old tom cat for years... Otis learned early in life that if he saw me anywhere in the yard with a garden hose.... He needed to be somewhere else.  :)
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Okrafarmer

I threw our cat down the laundry chute once. . . . But the funniest thing  was when I was a toddler, I picked up our mother cat by her flea collar and held her under the outside faucet (full force!). I have no idea why I didn't get clawed to death, but I guess I had her by the flea collar and my hand was behind her neck where she couldn't get me. My mom heard the water running, from inside the house, and came to tell me to turn it off, and my was she surprised to see me "washing" the cat! I was 2 years old.

isawlogs

I only ever bought one Homelite saw. I think it was a 430 super or something close to that. I only paid for it cause I had to.... Ya see we always used huskys back then, had a 162 and the dealer also had the homelites and this saw came in and he wanted it tested. We took her out to the bush with us, we where cutting down white pine, filed it filled it and off cutting we went. Now this is a brand new saw, so we cut down a load of poplar in the morning, and started the pine after lunch. Man what a deception the saw was, it could not saw fast enough to clear the chips off thestump....When the skidder came back up I put the saw on a stump and the skidder, while turning, crushed it, the 640JD just flatened it...., put it back in a box went to the dealer and traded it in on a new 162. They asked us what we thought of itbefore seeing the saw in the box, told him that once they saw it they would have there answer. ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

captain_crunch

Dang
Ur better humanbeing than me :D >:( ;D
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

customsawyer

Dang I am proud of you. You are starting to show signs of growing up. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

DR Buck

Quote from: isawlogs on November 10, 2012, 11:46:17 PM
I only ever bought one Homelite saw. I think it was a 430 super or something close to that. I only paid for it cause I had to.... Ya see we always used huskys back then, had a 162 and the dealer also had the homelites and this saw came in and he wanted it tested. We took her out to the bush with us, we where cutting down white pine, filed it filled it and off cutting we went. Now this is a brand new saw, so we cut down a load of poplar in the morning, and started the pine after lunch. Man what a deception the saw was, it could not saw fast enough to clear the chips off thestump....When the skidder came back up I put the saw on a stump and the skidder, while turning, crushed it, the 640JD just flatened it...., put it back in a box went to the dealer and traded it in on a new 162. They asked us what we thought of itbefore seeing the saw in the box, told him that once they saw it they would have there answer. ::)

Make me feel so small and such a failure as I only 'bounced' my Homelite off a tree after flinging it about 30 feet into the woods.   ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Thank You Sponsors!