iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log cabin shell in a weekend

Started by fred in montana, August 20, 2010, 08:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred in montana

Some of you may have already seen theses photos on my site. I had a neighbor help me one weekend and we sawed up the logs, notched them and stacked them in a weekend. It is 11 x 15.

woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

LOGDOG

Looks great. What's your next step? Will you let them dry like that for a bit before you move on or? What was the deciding factor for the gap that you went with in between the logs? Are you using a jig for the notches?

GaryinMississippi

I would have put a door in one wall, but that's just me. :D

Nice looking cabin.

fred in montana

I built the shell this past spring and put it on Craigslist and sold it. The gaps were about 2 1/2".

I think the next one will have 1" gaps.

Yes I used a jig I made. I sell plans for jigs on my website.

I am hoping to get longer logs soon and a bed extension. I want to cut out a story and a half 16x20 cabin.

logdovetailjig.com

LOGDOG

Fred,

Is this your website by chance? http://logdovetailjig.com/log_dovetail_notch_plans.html

I'm curious, what did the shell sell for. (Hope you don't mind me asking. You can PM me if you want with the answer.) It's something I've considered doing on the side.

Fred what was the dimension of your logs? They look manageable but chunky enough to give it a substantial look.

fred in montana

I sold it for $2000 (including loading it for him with the tractor). I think I should have asked for more though.

Someone flew in from 1000 miles away, rented a truck and hauled it all the way back!

I think this is a good way to make some money with a sawmill. It's another way to add value to the board footage of your sawn lumber. With the logs, there aren't that many cuts either.

4 minutes to cut all the notches on a log.
logdovetailjig.com

fred in montana

From my numbers, I ended up getting 92 cents per board foot.

Another thing, there is almost no additional work to build a cabin using longer logs- same number of cuts. But the square footage goes up alot which means it would sell for more.

This cabin sold for $2000, or $12.12 per square foot.

A single story 16x20 has 320 sf which would should sell for $3878 at the same rate.

There would be (16+20)*16 =576 linear feet of logs which for 7"x9" logs would be 3024 board feet.

3878/3024 = $1.28 per board foot.

Bigger is better!
logdovetailjig.com

LOGDOG

Nice! Wheels are turning ....  :) That was a smoking deal for the buyer too. When you look at what these cheaply constructed portable buildings are going for, you couldn't touch one for that kind of money.

jpgreen

What would chink cost to do that building?
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

LOGDOG

That's a good question JP. Chink, backer rod ....

Stephen1

Quote from: jpgreen on September 17, 2010, 12:22:26 AM
What would chink cost to do that building?
I agree good question, but you could also cut down o the gap to reduce the chinking, but then would have to add extra logs.
Montanna, did you have to buy the logs or is it your wood?
I just saw a neighbor build a cabin the size of yours only a full scribe cabin, He is asking $17000.00. I would think I could sell a few like yours for less than that...
definitely have my thinking cap on now.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Meadows Miller

Gday

That looks Very Tidy and I also like your website Mate  ;) ;D 8)

Like you said you  where proboly alittle on the low side on the price but then again you sold it quickly and a $2000 is nothing to scoff at either Mate  ;) ;D 8)

Overhere somthing that size as a complete structural shell with housed in floor joists and four heavy trusses would gross the $15000+ mark easy with plans and engineers computations  ;) minus chinking costs

Brad A Full Scribe here would be $22000+ for the same setup as above   ;) and ill throw in that a Timber frame with a 20' span 9' high bents with roof beams in 8x8 Ironbark will run at between $8 to $12000 per bent with 10' spacings Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) but there is only three Log building and four Timber frame companys here though  ;) :D ;D 8)

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

Meadows Miller

Ill also add when We do pricing between chinked and scribed shells where we have to do the chinking the cost usually works ot around the same for both styles as the time saved in the logwork phase on chinked logwork is taken up by chinking cost and time it takes to apply it  ;)

barbender

That would definately be a good use for all of that beetle kill lodgepole out there, Fred. Maybe time for mass production ;). Nice looking work.
Too many irons in the fire

jpgreen

I've gone down this road and researched the costs building these small structures in various ways, and the deal killer for me was the chink cost and labor involved for this type of construction.

I think it's a good idea to sell the structure as is, and the customer does their own finish work, but unless you have a market for a high dollar completed building- the quick money is not going to be easy.

That being said I did build my prototype little cottage, 8.5'x14'x 12' high with porch and 2 sleeping lofts, exposed beams, 4 view Pella windows, all out of milled buggied pine and folks went nuts over it. Especially women.  There is a market.

I was going to set up production and had a life changing event happen, which put that on hold. I since went into an less labor intesive business, but if I had reliable help, I would start this back up. Now I have 15 acres of timber so the material is right here.

I sold the prototype to a lady and delivered it in just a few hours....  8)

woodbowl

Quote from: jpgreen on September 18, 2010, 01:49:07 PM

I did build my prototype little cottage, 8.5'x14'x 12' high with porch and 2 sleeping lofts, exposed beams, 4 view Pella windows, all out of milled buggied pine

JP, do you have some pics of that cute shed?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

jpgreen

I don't Olen. 

Unfortunately I had a computer crash and lost a bunch of pics, those went with it.

They turned into digital vapor...  ::)

woodbowl

Oh well, you know what they say. No pics, didn't happen.  :D

OK, other than the lofts, exposed beams and pella windows, what other frills did it have? What was the interior wall?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

jpgreen

Wet bar.

Surround sound.

Direct TV Sat and internet

Wolf 6 burner gas range.

Intercom and central in- wall vacuum systems.

Oh yea- almost forgot Whirlpool Jacuzzi bath with artesian tiles and champagne caviar rack (THAT was extra)... ;D

RockyMountainSawyer

that is a good looking cabin. I really like the dovetail look. So are you in the process of building another one? $2000 is a good price, do you think you could build 4 or 5 trusses to go with it for around $500? If you can i think you have got a really hot item there. Around here those cabins go pretty fast. You need to capitalize on that now. Beautiful....good luck
Homemade Mobile Circle Mill, case 830 w/loader, 2-ton dodge w/ skyhook, 3/4 ton chevy duramax flatbed, stihl 460 magnum, and a brand new beautiful baby girl!

fred in montana

QuoteFred,

Is this your website by chance? http://logdovetailjig.com/log_dovetail_notch_plans.html

Yes
QuoteFred what was the dimension of your logs? They look manageable but chunky enough to give it a substantial look.
They were 7x9. That was a good size but I have some bigger logs and will try 7x10 or 11. I also wonder if I could vary the height on my saw as I cut. Just raise and lower a little here and there to make the cut a little wavy on the top and bottom to look a little more natural.

Anyone ever tried that?
logdovetailjig.com

donny hochstetler

hey fred I have interest in building a log cabin type house in the future was thinking of doing a small playhouse for starters I"m getting a bunch of large whitepine logs next week thought I could sawem this winter I have a swingblade mill cabable of making a 8.5 in. cut would a 6x8 timber work? also do they need to dry before stacking or can they be put up green  thanks

woody1

Fred..I purchased your jig plans. I have them made. Your plan are very good. I can't wait to get some logs sawed and start using them. I am building a sugar shack.
When I get started I will get you some pics.
Woody
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

Meadows Miller

Gday

Donny Greens fine Im using 10x6 28footers for my place ill be milling on my lucas too Mate  ;) With using green timber you have to have a settling allowance about 6" per 8' of wall for doorways and internal walls and about 4" for smaller windows is what I use  ;) porches and vertical posts about the same 6" but you use a screw jack and adjust them over time  Mate  ;) ;D

Regards Chris

fred in montana

6x8 will work fine. Dry is better but not an option for most people since it takes so long.

------

Thanks Woody. Send me some pics!
logdovetailjig.com

Stephen1

Hi Fred, I need to build a new pump house 8x6 and was wondering if i can use 4x6's I have cut already, and if you can do a plan up for it.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

fred in montana

logdovetailjig.com

Thank You Sponsors!