iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bamboo framing my $100, 30x20' workshop

Started by canopy, October 31, 2010, 09:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canopy

I like working with bamboo. It's light, quick to work, and has a virtually unlimited free supply where I am. It's a lot different than working with timber carrying a number of considerations.

• has a tensile strength greater than steel
  • it is not just round but actually various oval shapes
  • it cannot be clamped for working otherwise it will split
  • it has taper and is not straight
  • age, positions of nodes, and thickness of culms greatly impact strength allowances

I built a 30x20 shed using exactly 2 materials: bamboo and grass. While I could have made the thatch from grass on site at no cost, it is time consuming so elected to buy which is the full cost of the shed. A structure like this can be built by a couple of guys in a matter of days.

isawlogs

This I find really interesting. Please tell us what the shed is for and could you put some pics of the landscape around it. With what are you lashing the bamboo together  ???    :P :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

kderby

Locally available, low cost and superb utility when built by a skilled craftsman....almost like wood used to be.

Thanks for the picture.

canopy

QuotePlease tell us what the shed is for

A shelter from the elements for working, parking, and storing stuff for my home build.

Quoteand could you put some pics of the landscape around it

There isn't much around my place but jungle and mountains. I am pretty isolated and had to build a road out to there.  See first pic below & my avatar for better views. Occasionally get hill tribes passing through making me feel like I'm reliving a Louis L'Amour novel in a century ago setting.

In timber framing, pegs are used to keep things from moving around. In bamboo framing, bamboo ties are used for this purpose. You slice out a sliver of bamboo (above), wrap it around the joint, wind it snug, and tuck in the ends. When it dries it shrinks tight.

Above are bamboo ties holding the thatch for example. Also might be able to make out how thatch is made from this picture--just by bending grass around a piece of bamboo and sewing in a bamboo tie.

For heavier duty purposes, bigger and thicker lashing can be made as needed (above). This by the way is the Thai way which is quick and easy, others like in Japan might braid smaller bamboo ties together.

Remember that only bamboo & grass are used. The only tool needed is a machete and locals often build such structures with just that alone though a saw and chisel allows cleaner joints.

KellyH

Put in some sides, ends, a couple doors and windows and you have a nice enough structure to live in.  I have spent some time in the Philippines and slept many nights in just such a structure.  Good times!  Thanks for the pictures. 
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is who you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

Meadows Miller

Gday

First off Welcome to The Forum Canopy & Turbo  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)

Im with Marcel as I find this sort of thing realy interesting Myself too you live in a beautiful part of the world  ;D 8) 8) how long have you been there Mate  ;) ???

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

northwoods1

I find this very interesting also, thanks for sharing the info! Thatching looks great.

woodbowl

I really like bamboo and thatch also. Welcome to the forum canopy. How long does bamboo stay in the ground before it needs attention or is it in the ground? If you were to make your own thatch, how would you do it?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

isawlogs

Does Bamboo sprout when put in the ground  ??? :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

canopy

QuoteHow long does bamboo stay in the ground before it needs attention or is it in the ground?

The posts are sunk in the ground in my case which is common, but some people will put them on a concrete footing or even raise them on a pillar. Key to longevity is to keep them dry. I packed rock around them rather than dirt for drainage, have a long eve overhang, and will grade the ground around the shed to keep water away. Normally a simple bamboo hut lasts a year or two. I aim to make mine last as long as possible and always look for ways to improve on designs.

QuoteIf you were to make your own thatch, how would you do it?

It's straight forward, but time consuming. When a stand of long grass becomes dry, scythe it. Bend each blade around a 1.5M long dowel of bamboo. If you look at a horizontal cross section of big grass it has a V shape and should be laid all the same orientation--V upside down to shed water. Then weave a bamboo strap at the seam below the dowel to make it stay put. Making thatch is normally done by older people in their front yards to create extra income. Each thatch panel costs around 30 cents. Using higher pitches (40-50 degrees) and laying it thicker increase longevity.

QuoteDoes Bamboo sprout when put in the ground

Not that I have seen. It is normally propagated by chopping a small bamboo down to about 1',  then separating it out with a small amount of its roots (1G bucket) and transplanting it. Bamboo shoots will appear within months, grow to its full height in a year, and reach ideal hardness in 3 years. This is where bamboo really shines. It can be replenished in 3 years to a grove of its full might where wood can take 30 years or more. I don't know about other climates but in Thailand bamboo just takes off with no maintenance. You don't water it, fertilize it, or do anything. In my area there are big varieties that make nice 30 to 60 foot poles that go 4-6 inches in diameter and small varieties 1-2 inches diameter that make very tough 10 or 20 foot poles because they are almost solid. They are all clumping types so they make a compact grove and don't run off elsewhere. Very good stuff.

Bamboo can also be unrolled to make panels often used for walls or floors as below:

woodbowl

Quote from: canopy on November 04, 2010, 08:39:42 PM
Normally a simple bamboo hut lasts a year or two.

I thought they lasted a lot longer than that. Is it because of the weather or some other reason?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

canopy

The short longevity is due to lack of engineering, rough fit and finish, and the intense climate probably a distant 3rd. A structure is put up in a day by the side of a field hacked up by machete only intended as a primitive shelter for farm workers. It is impressive what can be done in a day to be sure, but they really don't care whether it lasts 30 years or 2; getting it done quick is the goal. While people are very good at proper bamboo selection, they don't consider much about stresses and loads. Such structures are built with no plans  whatsoever, no accurate measurements and just end up built in any which way. I've seen a structure built with the plates and the entire roof load hung by lashings alone! It doesn't take much for water, wind, and time to bring such a structure down like a house of cards. If a Thai wants to build something more permanent like a house they will substitue wood posts and plates and nail them. I don't see that as being necessary, just strength comes more natually.

Stephen1

great to have some pics also, Can you tell us something about your history there? Are you working in the country or living there full time.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

canopy

I have spent time in numerous countries and liked Thailand the most and have enjoyed the lifestyle here for many years now, though there's always pluses and minuses. Timber framing is a hobby and I'm looking forward to doing more projects. And I'm going to do a lot more with bamboo too.

Thank You Sponsors!