iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tall Trees and Blue Skies: The Central Carolina Sawyers Get-together

Started by NCDiesel, October 28, 2013, 04:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCDiesel

+=-+=-+=-    Whoo - Hoo!   New Date!!!    -=+-=+-=+

First Annual Central North Carolina Sawyer's get-together, April 26, 2014.  Address is 3160 MacBrandon Ln, Pfafftown, NC.   Bring the following:

1 - Loved ones and family
2 - Chairs
3 - Your sawmill if you like.
4 - A pound of your favorite BBQ
5 - One side or dessert.

I will have slaw, buns, Texas Pete and some additional BBQ.  I will also provide some tea, water, Gatorade and a cooler with some cokes, etc   This is the "official forum" for the event, but will cross post to the sawmilling forum from time to time.

I have some decent walnut, pecan, a then a small cedar and a couple of middlin' pines to mess with.   So lots to choose from to play with and have a great day of fellowship.  Pictures of the walnut and pecan can be found in the posts below.
NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

fat olde elf

I asked about a name for this on the original thread.  Tall Trees and Blue Skies sounds real good to me...............
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

submarinesailor

I second the question..............When? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D

NCDiesel

First as to location:   I can host on my property, but there is a community center nearby with a large field that will be better - they have tables, kitchen, etc for the meal.   So I am trying to line that up.   My fall back is my place.  I'll have a decision on that in a week or two.   Both my place and the Community Center are are 3 miles from the center of Pfafftown that Google shows you, so neither location will affect your travel time.

As to time:  Since this is a one day deal, let lets shoot for arrival at 9-9:30 and set up and ready to saw by 10AM.  I'll be out there earlier, so come earlier if you like.  On the flip side, obviously tardiness is perfectly acceptable - this is all about having fun.  No stress!     I figure we'll eat our BBQ lunch late, say around 1-2PM so eat a big breakfast.   We'll saw a little more after lunch and pack up around dusk.

I contacted a local arborist who I know has some logs he wants sawn and is willing to bring a skid steer.  I am meeting with him later this week.

Just reply here with the number of people and whether you are bringing a sawmill.

Hey Seaman - I think that arborist has a big log for you!   He felled a big tree for a customer this spring who wanted the log, so he left it on site.  But the customer still hasn't done anything with it.   He said it was in the 40-44" range.  He is going to contact the customer to see if he can bring it to us.
NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

NCDiesel

Quote from: beenthere on October 29, 2013, 10:18:20 AM
Appears "when" is a secret...   ;D

Ohhhhhh   I get it now.   This is the forum associated with our event December 7th 2013 at the Forestry Forum calendar.   I just assumed the date showed up somewhere along the top of this forum/page.   It does NOT show up however.

I wondered why you guys kept asking.....

Here is the link to the calendar itself:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=calendar;year=2013;month=12

Look on the 7th and you'll see our event.  Click on the event, and you'll come to this forum.  Which we have already established, does not include the date anywhere on the page.   ;D

Sorry about any confusion.....

PS:  Modified the original post to include the date since the page heading does not have it.
NCDiesel

giant splinter

I thought the date was in the first line of the post, was December 7th 2013 not it? or was the post updated?. I must have overlooked something.
Same date Pearl Harbor was bombed in 1941 ...... how can you forget ;D
roll with it

Seaman

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

mrector

Would it be ok if a couple hillbillys frpm virginia came down? I'm not very far away.
Mikey
Woodmizer LT35HD25 brand new!
Stihl 044 and my favorite: ms260 pro
Homemade logging arch
Homemade hitch log picker-upper
DanG Deadheader log loading trailer.

ddcuning

We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

Seaman

I will be there with the mill, and the family. That is me and four more mouths.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

scsmith42

I'm planning to attend as well.  Not sure yet if the Doc will be able to accompany me, so put me down for 1 and I'll update later.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Seaman

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

NCDiesel

Just an update:    The community center is already booked, so the get together will be at my place.  Address of the farm:

3155 MacBrandon Ln
Pfafftown, NC  27040

So far I have

Me(2 people - 1 mill)
Solomon(1 person - 1 mill )
Finn(1 person - 0 mills)
taylorsmissbehaven(1 person  0 mills)
kelLog (2 people 0 mills)
ddCuning(1 person 0 mills)
Fat ole Elf(2 people 0 mills)
scsmith42(1 person 0 mills)
Seaman(4 people 1 mill)

Post back if I missed you and yes - Hillbillies from Virginia are allowed.  You'll fit right in with the NC hillbillies  :D

Bring a mill if you can - we only have three.    I would think 4-5 would be great to keep everyone engaged and busy.  Be sure to check the first post on this forum from time to time to make sure you are bringing everything you need and get the latest updated information!
NCDiesel

Tee

NC, I am planing on attending and tagging along with Frank. Can't wait to see all the commotion.
Tee

Finn1903

I'll drag my mill along as long as we don't have a field full of orange mills! 8)
Looking forward to seeing some of the other mills out there and the slabbers, more important to meet some of you in person
-Tom
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

NCDiesel

Here is the updated list:

Me(2 people - 1 mill)
Finn(1 person - 1 mill)
Fat ole Elf(2 people 0 mills)
Seaman(4 people 1 mill)
Tee

And don't worry about non-orange mills - mine is red   ;D
NCDiesel

xlogger

Tom gave me a call the other day and said I could ride up with him. I will have to let you know closer to the date if I can make it. Too many irons in the fire right now. Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

MinglewoodNC

Hi NCDiesel,
       Thanks for your efforts for putting this together. Please count me in and maybe a buddy or 2, good hands all.
                Bill

ddcuning

Looks like we are bringing more than I expected. It will be me, my wife, my 4 yr old and his 4 yr old friend. We can bring rope to tie the two boys together then to me if need be!

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

NCDiesel

The list is growing!    I think we might need some folding tables for the food, so anyone that can bring one that would be great.

Me(2 people - 1 mill)
Finn(1 person - 1 mill)
Fat ole Elf(2adults/2 kids 0 mills)
Seaman(4 people 1 mill)
Tee(2 people)
xlogger(maybe)
minglewood(2 people)

I got an update ion the logs, and he is committed and will come with several, one 30 inches for Seaman.  He is bringing a friend too - an emergency room physician.  Nice to have a medical professional on-board; just in case   :D
NCDiesel

thecfarm

Them 4 year old boys will have a ball. Make sure you bring some toys for them to play in the sawdust.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Seaman

My family replaced themselves with Tee, so drop mine to 1 and 1sawmill.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

taylorsmissbeehaven

Looks like I am not going to be able to make it. My family goes to the mountains every year after Christmas trees and this is the only weekend we can all get together due to holiday plans. I am truly disappointed and look forward to hearing about all the fun. Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Thank You Sponsors!