iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thanks to those helpfull people out there!

Started by JustinW_NZ, June 18, 2012, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustinW_NZ

This is just a quick post to say "Hi" and also say thanks for the many people who share their knowledge on this site.

Im new to this milling game but have found the broad range of discussions on here very interesting and informative.

So Thanks  :P

Oh - Also good to see others from New Zealand on here!

And just because people like pictures, here is me by our mill and first job.

Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

slider

al glenn

Magicman

Good morning and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, JustinW_NZ.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Justin.

Lots of good people and info here!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Welcome Justin. And your mill? I see you got the top of the line. Great pic.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Welcome Justin.  I found the Nelson area beautiful when I visited the South Island on a logging benchmarking trip. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

JustinW_NZ

Thanks for the welcomes  :)

WDH, if your ever back in the area and need a bed just let me know, and yes it isnt a bad area at all.

POSTONLT40HD - yip came across a LT-40 Super that had a very new motor only had just over 1000 hours on the bed and thought it wasnt a bad thing to give a go.
I also got a sharpener / blade setter and a resaw with it as well.
Havent used any of that stuff yet but I sure will after getting through the timber im doing there.
Its eucalyptus and it also now frozen (winter time here and that is getting more alpine where they are) so it seems to dull the bands pretty quick.
Although it could just be me being to carefull and slow!

Interesting side story on the rig (for those that like stories and things to file in the - dont ever do that section)
Second day of use i had a large log on the mill and raised the headrig higher than i had before and suddenly everything stopped and smoke started appearing from all the wrong places  :(
Turns out when the motor was replaced (has lombardini) the starter motor cable was replaced but was about 400mm to short!!!
So when i went near the top of travel it pulled on it and it then tried welding itself up the fuse box!
Smoked the main earth wire into the console and melted with others, so not very flash at all!
Thankfully being a tough WM mill i replaced all the wires made it all tidy and it fired up like nothing ever happened!
(even acuset seemed ok!)

Cheers
Justin

Gear I run;

Chuck White

I'd say you really got lucky there, Justin!   8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Justin,welcome to the forum. What's all the wood going to be used for? Looks like a Bell 3 wheel behind you?with a dangle head???
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: thecfarm on June 19, 2012, 06:07:22 AM
Justin,welcome to the forum. What's all the wood going to be used for? Looks like a Bell 3 wheel behind you?with a dangle head???

Hi there!
Yip correct, Bell 3 wheeler all right, Many of those used my forestry crews around you?
That one belongs to a ground based logging crew, they left it there to load the logs onto a log deck so I could mill them.

Sadly the end planks and such will end up being cattle yards - although the owner showed up and took a look and he even decided it was to nice to waste it all on "cow containment" , although it will be VERY hard timber.
Is a eucalyptus in the ash family i think, look at the photo of the board on the right, would make very nice flooring if i can keep pulling out that grade!
(feel free to critique)

And Chuck White - You would not belive how happy i was when the little screen lit up and things moved forward/up down again!!!  :D

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

thecfarm

I never saw one in use with a dangle head in my area. I've seen a few with the shears. Was big deal about 30 years ago. I have not seen one a truck being moved for a long time. Today I will probaly see one somewheres.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: thecfarm on June 19, 2012, 06:25:41 AM
I never saw one in use with a dangle head in my area. I've seen a few with the shears. Was big deal about 30 years ago. I have not seen one a truck being moved for a long time. Today I will probaly see one somewheres.  ;)

There are still fairly common here (with the dangle head) and usualy operate around skids sites shifting things about.

I would have to say perfect for what i needed there  ;D
be different if they were pine logs collecting all the dirt as they are draged around i would suspect!

Cheers
Gear I run;

WDH

The eucalypt lumber is very beautiful.  That shich you cut is very nice.  Some eucalypt is grown in Brazil and marketed in the US as Lyptus, a brand name.  It is denser and harder than I thought until I got my hands on a piece of it.  I saw some old growth Mountain Ash in the State Forest of New South Wales in Australia.  They were awesome trees.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!