iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Plans For Barn

Started by ironstumper, February 03, 2008, 06:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironstumper

Hey you guys, My name is Doug, I've been in the background reading and soaking up your knowledge. Thanx to all who so willingly share. I am new to construction and timber framing. But have decided that I will learn this business. My background is in tree's and stumps. That was a bit slow, so I bought a lucas swingblade. Thinking the opportunity to saw some monsters where they fall would come my way. Then it became obvious that I would need some way to move logs as well. Setting up for each log is no fun. :-\ I'm now the proud owner of a Logrite "Hugo" arch. My backyard is quickly filling up with mostly white oak. Some red and some pine.
               Heres the deal. I had hoped to saw timbers and build a 24 by 48 barn. Post and beam.Yet cheating at the joints with some metal and screws. But the longest of my logs is 14 ft. From what I've seen I would have to use longer logs ? Or is it possible to piece these smaller lengths together?  Thanx in advance for the help ;D
                                                                                           Doug     ironstumper
Rom 8:19 Can't wait!!

Thehardway

14' is no problem unless you require a freespan structure without any internal support posts.  16' is usually considered max. distance for bent spacing with 12-14 optimal.  Welcome to the forum and don't be shy.  There is no such thing stupid questions here so ask away.

Also feel free to contribute.  An expert on stump removal could lend some helpful advice from time to time here for sure!  I have plenty of them to get out just north of you here in southside VA.  Where do I get some dynamite...

Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

ironstumper

Ah I see....OK so maybe I should look into going 16 ft on posts for extra headroom on both floors. Then say a 5/12 truss,Will give me 1 ft overhang with the 14 foot logs already cut.....I wonder....Could I get by with pine on the roof? It's much lighter and we don't have any snow load down here......
Rom 8:19 Can't wait!!

ohsoloco

Welcome to the forum.  A yard full of white oak would be a nice sight, it's one of my favorite woods  :)  Working it green for a timber frame is a joy. 

You wouldn't need real long timbers if you built a frame with principal rafters....you wouldn't need those long top plates that way.

Thank You Sponsors!