iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

weight estimation

Started by L. Wakefield, April 26, 2001, 07:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

L. Wakefield

OK, so a quick question.. in my rabbit persona I am naturally cautious, and tend to scoot out of the way of falling trees- but- I got a lot of trees, and I have this Husqvarna.. I have stuck to the little trees so far, and they still sometimes REALLY surprise me as to the weight when they come down. Is there a way to estimate from the diameter at whatever height (and to estimate the height) that will allow you to know about how much poundage- or tonnage) you will be dealing with when that sucka comes crashing down? I mean, other than the blanket statement that it will be REALLY heavy and if it's big then it will be REALLY, REALLY heavy. I'm sure live vs dead makes a difference, and sap up vs sap down probably makes a little difference, and foliage vs no foliage probably doesn't matter much. It also seems that stored energy in terms of leaning or being bound up in the branches of other trees is a major factor in potential of damage and falling in an unanticipated direction. My husband likes to rope them off- sometimes to a vehicle that can actually start to drive away in the desired direction of fall (You use a LONG rope) This does not entirely control that nasty kickback of the butt that sometimes happens as it hops down off the stump. (I had a guy in the trauma room once and got to take care of him before he went off to surgery for the results of what happened when one of those things hopped down off the stump and pancaked his foot. It was not a pretty sight.) I'm assuming that's why you leave that (I forget what it's called) little bit of wood uncut that tears loose as she goes down sideways. :o
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Ron Wenrich

Hey, we do have a calculator that gives an estimated tonnage for a tree.  Look at the pulpwood calculator.  It will give cords or tons.

Now, when talking about the top, a lot will depend on the size of the top.  A rule of thumb on biomass is that 55-65% will be in the bole, 17-23% in the root system, and 15-25% in the crown.  

So, take the the estimated tonnage of the bole, and add 30-40% to get your total tree weight.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

timberbeast

LW,  that's called "holding wood"  or  "hinge wood".  Without it,  you have no control.  Never cut all the way through.  Use a wedge,  or pull them down if necessary.  Also,  never turn your back when the tree starts to fall.  Back away,  but keep your eyes on the tree.  Someone,  Marty,  I think posted a couple of links in this section and one explains the proper cuts and procedures to safely fall a tree.  After awhile,  it'll be second nature,  but Ive seen some trees do some pretty strange dances when they hit the ground.  You gotta watch them,  so they don't shoot you in the back!
Where the heck is my axe???

L. Wakefield

Another story I read long ago- didn't know the people- a woman driving down the road- saw where a log truck had lost its load in a parking lot. Saw a car half buried by the load. Thought- 'that looks like OUR car. It was. The load had crushed her husband and their child, who had parked next to the log truck.

I thought about that today, as I always do whenever I see a log truck parked. I always give them clear space, parked or moving. This one had a lot of big wood on it. I know it doesn't happen often- but it was an unforgettable story.
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Jeff

L.W. did you read through the new chainsaw course on www.timberbuyer.net?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

L. Wakefield

no, can't say that I did. I sign on direct to the forum. I suppose I should look at the website as a whole.   l

Thank You Sponsors!