iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beer Adventures

Started by Ianab, July 11, 2022, 05:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

A hazy IPA tonight.  Actually I'd say this has exceeded "hazy", skipped "cloudy"and well in "murky"  :D

"Ah My Eyes, The Goggles Do Nothing!"

Lil says, a bit too hoppy for her, 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Don P

If you can't get the wort to a protein break call it hazy  :D. I prefer that junk on the bottom of the bottle.

blackfoot griz

Quote from: Raider Bill on July 12, 2022, 12:10:44 PM
The other end of the IPA spectrum are the session style. Good hoppy taste with low ABC.
I try to keep Founders All Day session IPA in stock.

A local Favorite is Cigar City Jai Alai "which used to be a sport in Florida until it was exposed as fixed"

Nice and hoppy with 7.5%

It's a great time to be a beer drinker with all these craft breweries popping up giving us many choices.

Funny thing about IPA's is that once you catch the hop taste, lager, pilsners, and  island beers just don't taste right again.
I became fond of that Jai Alai when visiting friends in Palm Harbor. I found it here at a little grocery store in Lakeside, MT for a while. They no longer carry it. I guess I'll have to head back to FL this winter and grab a few good cigars and some Jai Alai.

Raider Bill

Palm Harbor is right up the road.
Stop in for a cold one.

Just saw your location. We'll be in that area the beginning of Sept.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Magicman

Which sounds like you need to meet Da Griz.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

a great hazy IPA.  DAAANG

a couple of lighter choices for hot weather and summer.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

gspren

I guess I have a simple palate when it comes to beer, I like almost any of the old standbys from the US, Canada or Mexico but the very few times I tried the "specialty" brews I found them bitter, anything I should try or do I need to develop a taste for hops? I should have added Australia, New Zealand, and the Philippines to countries where I enjoyed "normal" beer.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

doc henderson

just like coffee, you should just drink what you like.  after many years you may like the strong stuff.  it is not for everybody. smiley_beertoast
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ianab

Quote from: gspren on July 19, 2022, 07:48:27 PMI guess I have a simple palate when it comes to beer, I like almost any of the old standbys from the US, Canada or Mexico but the very few times I tried the "specialty" brews I found them bitter, anything I should try

The more heavily hopped beers are an acquired taste. No specific beers as I don't know what's in your area, but most brewpubs or small breweries make a "regular" brew or 2. 

This is the local brewery just up the street from us, with a "NZ Lager", regular strength and hops.  

https://www.43brewing.co.nz/portfolio-item/rotokare-lager/

Mike's in New Plymouth has their "Originals" which are a NZ Lager, a Mild Ale and a Pilsner that would suit a drinker of regular NZ beers. 

The Originals - mike's Brewery Bistro

This was last nights tasting.  A session hazy IPA, but regular strength. Another good one to start with. Although heavy on the hops, it's more a "fruit" flavour, rather than the bitterness of the stronger IPAs.
This is Lil's favourite style at the moment. ;)

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

doc henderson

We are also referred to as "beer snobs".  You are probably just a great guy! :D :D :D

Texas Ranger

I have never thought of beer drinkers as snobs, salt of the earth, with a side plate of hard boiled egg, cheese, pickle and crackers!   8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

doc henderson

i had a couple of bud light chaladas (red beer) last night.  so not much of a snob.  but if you will only drink the way out there stuff, well if the shoe fits... :)
just saying the bitter high octane stuff is not for everone.

Don P

I believe y'all are buying green slabs at KD price.

Texas Ranger

Quote from: doc henderson on July 20, 2022, 01:26:31 PM
i had a couple of bud light chaladas (red beer) last night.  so not much of a snob.  but if you will only drink the way out there stuff, well if the shoe fits... :)
just saying the bitter high octane stuff is not for everone.
Have not found any that I couldn't drink, just some I wouldn't go back for another.  Spent a couple of years in Germany, they make beer, and I tried to get 'em all.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

blackfoot griz

Two refrigerators in this house and we're down to two old cans of PBR. The source of them is unknown.. Both have some of the paint worn off from too much time in a cooler. Time for a beer run.

The first one wasn't bad...

Ianab

Quote from: Texas Ranger on July 20, 2022, 11:14:30 PM

Have not found any that I couldn't drink, just some I wouldn't go back for another.  Spent a couple of years in Germany, they make beer, and I tried to get 'em all.
I think that the Germans class beer as one of the essential food groups.  :D  It's quality regulated and generally very good stuff.  :)
Less than perfect weather out on the mail run, nothing too nasty, but felt like a nice Winter beer. This is a "mainstream" 4% mild ale. Dark malt, plenty of flavour, but not high alc %. (4%)

Not on Lil's favourite list, she says it's tastes too much like coffee. (she doesn't like coffee), but it's really just the dark roasted malt flavour. 
Speights was one of the smaller regional breweries that got assimilated into the Big 2 in the NZ market. They kept the favourite labels / recipes of the smaller breweries, but it's all made at the mega-brewery in Auckland now. Still a nice drop for a Winter evening, and regular beer pricing. 

Don P

That, is beer. Tell Lil the next one tastes more like dark chocolate  :)

WDH

Beer Snobs!  I like that.  Snobs are everywhere  :D.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raider Bill

I'm a snob.
I'll see your 2 cans of PBR and raise you one. I have 3 in the beer box. I know who brought them. They'll stay there until the paint fades as he's not coming back to drink them.

Local V.P. of the H.M.W.H.C. brought a 6 of this over.
Very delightful.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

moosehunter

I am fairly new to the craft beer thing. My little sister has dragged me kicking and screaming into the land of IPAs and others. I like many, some not so much.
One thing I cannot pass up are amber ales. Smithwicks on tap is close to perfection. Also very good is Fat Tire and Killian's. All three are better on tap than a bottle/ can in my mind.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

K-Guy

The only German beers I didn't care for were the pilsners and I did drink some but the strong flat dry aftertaste is not good to me.

A buddy visited NZ for a week or two years ago and said the Double X was one of the best beers he ever drank.

Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

K-Guy

Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

jb616

Quote from: K-Guy on July 21, 2022, 11:36:52 AM

The only German beers I didn't care for were the pilsners and I did drink some but the strong flat dry aftertaste is not good to me.

A buddy visited NZ for a week or two years ago and said the Double X was one of the best beers he ever drank.
Dos Equis!

jb616

Not an IPA fan.  Labatt's most of the time. Dark beers on occasion. Sam Adams, most any. Oberon for Summer. Peanut Butter, oh yeah!   8)

doc henderson

I used to order a black and tan,  not the one in a can mixed.  A half glass of Bass ale, and then over a spoon near the top of the ale, is Guinness stout.  best if it is on tap with nitrogen for the gas so you get the tiny bubbles and foam that cascade back into beer, and then the stout is on top and a ale on bottom.  you can see where they meet.  after the stout you transition to the ale.  the joke is that the Irish and English do not mix.  or they will make it with all Irish beer in an Irish pub.  no English at all.  For fun order a black and tan next time you are in an establishment with 30 beers on tap.  

How To Pour A Black - YouTube

Thank You Sponsors!