iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finished my Homade Grade Stake Pointer

Started by boscojmb, February 27, 2014, 08:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boscojmb

I built this whole thing for less than $200.00 and I'm happy to report that it actually works. It chatters quite a bit, but i think that is normal when trying to sharpen a square stake into a round point.
Has anyone else built one from scratch?
Thanks,
John B

John B.

Log-Master LM4

sprucebunny

Looks like it works well !!

Good looking stakes.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

bandmiller2

Good job John, do the shavings eject freely or tend to bind.?? good looking points. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

boscojmb

Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 27, 2014, 08:57:40 PM
Good job John, do the shavings eject freely or tend to bind.?? good looking points. Frank C.

Hi Frank,
Thanks for your help with this thing.
The shavings seem to eject freely when it's warm out, but I tried to use it Tuesday night when it was 19 degrees out and the shavings kept freezing in it.
I had to ditch the first set of knives in favor of some 1/8" thick ones. The jointer blades that I started out with cracked after about 40 stakes.
Thanks,
John
John B.

Log-Master LM4

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

I always wanted to build a pointer but never could figure out how to make the cutter head.  Did you have plans?

Nice job on the build. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

21incher

Great job. I love to see homemade equipment. Looks like it works better then a commercial one for 1/10 the cost ( we never count labor ). Do you use 1 blade like a pencil sharpener or 2 opposite each other?
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

boscojmb

Quote from: Larry on February 28, 2014, 10:17:54 AM
I always wanted to build a pointer but never could figure out how to make the cutter head.  Did you have plans?

Nice job on the build. :)

I had a plan in my head, but nothing on paper.
I want to run a few thousand stakes through it to make sure that it's safe and I didn't overlook something.
After that I could draw up a set of plans and take detailed pictures of the cutter head, if someone wanted them.
John B.

Log-Master LM4

boscojmb

Quote from: 21incher on February 28, 2014, 04:58:01 PM
Great job. I love to see homemade equipment. Looks like it works better then a commercial one for 1/10 the cost ( we never count labor ). Do you use 1 blade like a pencil sharpener or 2 opposite each other?

Two opposed blades. It chatters a fair ammount even with two blades. I think if it only had one blade turning 3000 RPM it would chatter like mad and break the stakes.
John B.

Log-Master LM4

loggah

Nice job!!!! That kinda looks like my Jet 920  lathe with a backsplash! I was making aluminum bushings today on mine for a gunbarrel vise. I always figured making gradestakes was one of the best uses of hardwood pallet wood,that and flooring,not much waste there. Don 
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

shelbycharger400

Im suspecting, you used around a 35 deg on the cross slide?,  I noticed you dont have any reliefs so the chips can eject as it peels.   Studdied to make one and ran out of time,and access to a lathe.  The blade needs to be at a compound angle, one to cut a point,  and other the blade pitched nose up, but the cutting edge not above centerline.

Larry

Quote from: boscojmb on February 28, 2014, 05:39:13 PM
After that I could draw up a set of plans and take detailed pictures of the cutter head, if someone wanted them.

Yes, I would want them vary much.  The design, in many cases, is the hardest part of the job.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

boscojmb

Quote from: shelbycharger400 on February 28, 2014, 06:21:05 PM
Im suspecting, you used around a 35 deg on the cross slide?,  I noticed you dont have any reliefs so the chips can eject as it peels.   Studdied to make one and ran out of time,and access to a lathe.  The blade needs to be at a compound angle, one to cut a point,  and other the blade pitched nose up, but the cutting edge not above centerline.

I used a 15 degree angle, when you sharpen the stake all the way around this gives you a stake with a 30 degree point.
After i took the picture of it on the lathe, I milled two 7/16" slots in the sides and mounted 1/8" knives in the slots. This leaves a 5/16" opening for the chips to eject. The cone goes from 5/8" up to 3" so centrifugal force naturally ejects most of the chips out the end of the cutter head.
I like your idea of a compound angle. My blades are mounted on a 15 degree angle, but are not pitched nose up.
If I end up re working the cutter head I will follow your sugestion about the compound angle. My design works, but it chatters, if I had the blades pitched nose up, I think that would solve my chattering problem.
Thank you for your input,
John B
John B.

Log-Master LM4

Brucer

Quote from: boscojmb on February 28, 2014, 09:03:51 PM
... My design works, but it chatters, ...

Three blades, not equally spaced. Perhaps 110°, 120°, and 130° apart.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

bandmiller2

John, a good solid vice or clamp should reduce the chatter as close to the tip as possible. The chatter doesn't seem to have effected the points. Hows the balance up to speed. ?? Frank C.

bandmiller2

I have thought about building a pointer using a cone hole and a stack of the cheap 7 1/4" carbide tipped saw blades. A cutout in one side of the cone for the saw stack to mill the point as you rotate the stake, with good gloves of course. Probibly a square hole turning slowly would be easier on your hands to turn the stakes. Frank C.

m wood

John, are you feeding the stake in by hand?  What's your typical M/C on the wood?  This build looks innovative.  I use tenon cutters on both a press and with hand held 3/4" drills.  The chatter is trouble and usuall degrades my tenon as well.  My simple fix was to soak the end of the wood for a few minutes in a pail of water; much smoother cuts with the chatter greatly reduced.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

shelbycharger400

i suspect the with the blades straight across, its rubbing and not peeling.   you'll notice tear out vrs smooth surface on the wood.   its like turning metal,  slight nose up on the carbide bit smooth finish,  straight across its pitted and chewed

Thank You Sponsors!