Sponsors:

Parbuckling Big Logs

Started by Ga_Boy, April 02, 2006, 06:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

Looked like it blew over ???

Ga_Boy

Logwalker,

This tree is a White Oak, root rot took its toll.  One evening high winds claimed this magnificant tree; two other smaller White Cedars went down as well. 

The Estate called yesterday, the contract is signed and we start work next Tuesday.  By Friday my new saw helmet; a Pacific Kevlar reenforced, three 16,000 pound snatch blocks and 150' of 16,000 pound bull line will be here.

I busted my Stihl saw helmet the other day, that thing shatterd when it hit the ground.  If that Pacific shatters I wont need to order a new helmet, being Kevlar if it shatters my head went with it.

This is going to be one fun job.
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Ianab

Make sure you have a photographer along for this mission  ;)
Seriously, considering the historic nature of the tree a booklet of pictures is probably a good sales tool to add value to the finished timber or any item made from it.

And of course we like pictures too. 

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

solodan

I agree with Ian.

You could cut it into flooring and market it as George Washington flooring, or Revolution flooring. That should bring you a pretty penny. There is a limited supply and certain customers would be willing to pay the price. Based on the sizes of the logs you guys mentioned I would estmate there to be just over 7Mbf. Ask big money ;)

Ga_Boy

I am seeing lots of five foot wide 8, 10 and 12/4 table tops. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Husband

Do you see one heading down under???? ;D

jpgreen

DR_Buck,

You are sitting on a potential gold mine here.  With all respect to the prior comments, and taking Ian's comment further I would not only photograph the whole event, but video tape it as well, by a professional.

Instead of flooring, or construction material- I would make hierloom furniture out of this wood, and market it as part of this great tree.  I would produce a movie- documentary, of every step from the time in history this tree started, right through to the current process of the making of heirloom furniture from this historical tree.  Then sell the furniture serial numbered with certificate and the DVD of the documentary.

You could retire with this, and I'm NOT kidding.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

getoverit

Dr_Buck,

I like your trailer-loader. what brand is it?
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

DR Buck

I like your trailer-loader. what brand is it?

Getoverit,

The trailer is a Remorques JMS with a FARMA 46D loader.  It came out of Quebec.  I bought it thru Baileys about 1 1/2 years ago.   It works great.   It has a 16 ft reach  and 880 lbs capacity at full reach and 1800 lbs at mid-boom and 2500 close in to the trailer.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Gilman

DR_Buck,
How's your return on investment for that trailer?
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Ga_Boy

Tomorrow is day three of the removal of these huge logs.

So far we have not had any injuries and no major destruction of equipment.

Dave and Dan have lots of pictures, Dan has a few videos of these logs during loading and off loading.

Oh yes we did break a Sweet Gum 8X8 today when we unloaded the butt log.  Dan has the video.

When we catch our breaths in a few days I am sure lots of pictures and videos will be posted.

We have learned that the LogRite Mega Hook AKA Arky Stick is too small.  we could not get them to bit into these five foot plus diameter logs.  Go fugure........

I am going to bed, gotta meet Dan at 5:30 AM then head to the job site.

Dan_Shade

:)  catch your breath is right!  what a job.  I took a several of videos, i'll put a bunch up on google video when I get a breather...

I stopped at my normal helper's house on the way home, and he cracked up at DRBuck's and GaBoy's comments, he said we must all be alike interested in this sawmill stuff :)

This has been a great project for all of us, I think, it's a lot of hard work, but working with FF members is always a lot of fun for me.  though meeting Mark at 5:30 sure isn't much fun, especially when the meeting point is a little over an hour away!

Logrite Can't:

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

getoverit

that says a lot for LogRite :)

I doubt you could hang on a wooden handle like that and not break it. Everybody that sees my LogRite Peavy wants to know where I got it and where they can get one too.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Jeff

Now that there was a picture Dan! :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dan_Shade

wait to you see the one video, it needs a "bleep", but it's what hanging out with FF members is all about!

though DRBuck got the BEST video of the day, I think, more on that later :)

in the meantime, I need to get some sleep so that I'm not late (again) meeting mark at 0530!

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DR Buck

Day 3...    The sun is coming up and I'm getting ready to load the fill dirt for the stump hole.     So far I have 181 photos and videos.   When I catch my breath I'll start posting.     Mark and I have been talking about cutting the big ones into 4ft wide slabs for table tops.   

Anybody have an idea on how to market them and what kind of price we can get for a kiln dried 4 ft by 8 ft 8/4 slabs?

sprucebunny

Sounds like you guys are having fun. I'm looking forward to the pictures ;D

4x8 is a little big for a table ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Fla._Deadheader

As you start cutting, save at LEAST one or two slabs with the natural edge. Put them in your truck bed and hit the local lumber yards on a weekend. Show them off and you should have NO trouble moving them. Do not give them away. We were getting $350.00 & up for 30"+ X 7'+ long Cypress. Might saw them 2½" thick, also.

Post them on woodworking sites.  8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

sawguy21

:D :D :D Yep, she will take one look and say Honey, I want those to border the raised beds you are putting in this week.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

pigman

Sprucebunny, I made a 4ft  X 9ft table for a client and they don't have any children. Some people just like big tables. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

beenthere

My wife would use it for a sewing (cutting) table.  :)  Just one more 'room' in the house to take over.  :)  Not complaining though ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DR Buck

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

We're Done !

More tomorrow after I wash the dirt off and get some rest.

pigman

Get some rest. :o  Why, you only did a weeks work in three days. ;)  Back in my younger days I could ........................................................................ ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Dan_Shade

wow, what a few days for me:

Tuesday, out the door at 4:40 am, get home at 10:30pm
Wednesday, out the door at 4:30am, get home at 8pm
Thursday, out the door at 4:20am, get home at 10:50pm

been living on water and crackers! 

sprucebunny

Those chunks are HUGE and not very round. Looks like they don't roll very well ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!