iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

End Sealer on Cants?

Started by Tom Brueggen, February 26, 2018, 11:02:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Brueggen

Considering sawing out a bunch of logs as cants for drying. Basically doing that vs just letting them dry as logs. A means of debarking and storing in a bit more organized manner. Is this a waste of effort and really ok to just let them dry as logs of the ends are sealed?

If I saw them into cants, would I need to then seal the whole exposed wood, or just the ends still?

Southern yellow pine, east Texas.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Everything I've seen here on FF advises that sawing into cants for storage/drying is generally a bad idea, leading to major loss due to checking. Best to saw into lumber and stack and sticker properly for drying.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Pine logs react differently depending what part of the country you're in.
I saw mostly SYP.

We have so much humidity in South Carolina that logs will rot but lumber dries.
My best sawing of Pine is when the bark first starts to release but I saw mostly fresh Pine customers bring in. Its green and sappy.
I have never had to seal the ends of Pine....only Hardwoods to help prevent checking.

I have tried storing Pine cants and putting them under the shed...fast growth cants will eventually start to separate on the ends between the growth rings due to drying to fast.

So I don't saw and store Pine cants anymore.
I saw my logs into lumber, remove all the sawdust from both sides, spray bleach water on both sides of the boards to help prevent mold then stack and sticker the lumber to have air flow to dry.
During hot summer with high humidity I have to use fans for airflow. Pine lumber is a challenge in the South during the summer.
Not sure of your weather in East Texas.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

moodnacreek

On the soft white pines and cedars this might work but on most species, hard or soft, the cants will crack and twist. Free of heart center cants will do better but will bow and must come from really large logs.

clintnelms

Thank You Sponsors!