iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

are cyprss susseptable

Started by ArborJake, May 11, 2012, 10:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArborJake

Does anyone here know if cypress are susseptable to Cedar-Apple rust.
thick and thin lumber company. qaulity manufacturer of saw dust and slab wood.

ashes

I looked for a bit and couldn't find any mention of cupressus associated with apple-cedar rust. Apple-cedar rust is found in other Cupressaceae though so I guess it could be possible it you know you have the fungi infecting other trees on the site.

ArborJake

Thats the problem I have a customer with junipers and crab apples that have cedar apple rust. I have finally convinced them to get rid of the junipers and they found cypress they want to replace them with. I think I better suggest they get something else. Thanks ashes.

ashes

...or they could get rid of the crab apples.

ACR is dependent on both hosts

ArborJake

They could but they have way more crab apple and apple. They only had a few junipers and they didn't look very good any way.  The thing was that the home owner, who doesn't live there full time had trimmed them once or twice to maintain the pom pom look that they had. The others were just blue rugs.

Dodgy Loner

No, cypresses are not susceptible. They would be fine to plant in place of the juniper.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

ashes

Thanks for clearing that up.^^

ArborJake

Yea, thanks. These guys are really excited about the cypress they found because they look real similar. I figured since they weren't in the same family they should be ok but I wasn't sure. Thanks to both of you.

ashes

same family different genus ;D

Thank You Sponsors!